OSCAR nominees

Jeff Wexler

Congratulations go out to all our sound friends who have been honored this year by the Academy: Lee Orloff, Paul Massey, Christopher Boyes for "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", Walt Martin, John Reitz, Dave Campbell, Gregg Rudloff for "Flags of Our Fathers", Willie Burton, Michael Minkler, Bob Beemer for "Dreamgirls", Ivan Sharrock, Andy Nelson, Anna Behlmer for "Blood Diamond", Fernando Camara, Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell for "Apocalypto".

I will be pulling for Lee Orloff who has been nominated 7 times (I think may have won once for "Terminator 2"). I am also very pleased that Andy Nelson and Anna Behlmer were nominated again, this time for Ed Zwick's "Blood Diamond" (a movie I was unable to do but Andy, Anna and I were all nominated for "The Last Samurai").

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Of the nominated movies the only ones I saw were "Pirates" which was O.K. as a film and sounded great, and "Departed" which I loathed as a film but which also sounded great. I'm not aware of the criteria by which the academy members judge film sound, but there are many others from '06 that in my opinion were more than Oscar worthy. It seems that the films that are considered for best sound are usually culled from the mainstream, those that are in the running for best pic, or garner a nomination for best actor, actress etc. I'd have loved to have seen "Little Miss Sunshine" nominated, or some of the other well crafted indies that graced screens last year. My wife and I usually manage to see at least four movies a month and "Netflix" the ones we miss so we have lots of comparisons. Nonetheless, congratulations to the nominees.

Regards

Mick

true, the large epics and hollywood musicals seem to consistently receive the nominations each year, but this is a good list i have to admit. on a personal note i felt Willie did an exceptional job on Dreamgirls. I saw it at the Vista last month and paid very close attention to the soundtrack which was extremely clean, upfront and full of emotion (thanks in part to the wonderful performances of the acting crew). heard many Neumann's, and all the studio work flowed flawlessy with production sound. i was simply blown away by the scene where Jennifer Hudson sang her heart out to Jamie Foxx - that was some of the best vocal recording i've heard. whoever wins will certainly be worthy of the award.