Audio-Technica ATW-1821 - 1800 Series

Deaf and Blind

Has anyone on here tried the Audio-Technica ATW-1821 - 1800 Series dual diversity TX / RX set up?

Looking at it as a bang for the buck type thing it looks like a cheap way in to a sterio link / duel mono with some interesting design items like being able to turn off one reciever if your only running a single channel in as a link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=460224&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I don't really want to see this turning in to a my Lectrosonics will whup your a$$ sort of thread or my audio Ltd are better type of thread just an honest yes I have used them these are my observations reply thread.

Cheers

D&B

Has anyone on here tried the Audio-Technica ATW-1821 - 1800 Series dual diversity TX / RX set up?

I don't really want to see this turning in to a my Lectrosonics will whup your a$$ sort of thread or my audio Ltd are better type of thread just an honest yes I have used them these are my observations reply thread.

I have used AT wireless before, and I am cautious to use them again. My main issue is that they don't make 100mw transmitters. If you read the description on the B&H site, you will see that the xmtrs have a power switch (as opposed to an on/off switch). This means that you can choose (more than likely) from 25mw and 50mw. This makes it difficult to do anything long range. I have had significant problems with hits and dropouts even at 25 feet! I have also found their preamps to be especially noisy. Unless these new ones have made significant improvements in both areas, you would be better off with 2 Sennheiser 500 series for the money IMHO.

Hope I'm wrong,

Tom

Tom

The new AT's are a lot better than their earlier offerings and as I just want this as a stop gap dual channel link until the units I actually want to get become available.

Also radio microphones purchased locally here in Oz are so ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the planet...

I know AT's are not the best on the market but used within their limitations they work just fine.

I prefer the Sennehiser Evolution Wireless to the AT. I own 4 of them with Countryman EMW and have had very few issues eith them. The range isn't as good as a Lectro but for the price (around $650.00 per unit with the EMW Lav) they do a good job for the lower budget Reality shows. They are quite robust too one fell out of a girls bra when she was running up the stairs and it fell about 20 steps and continued to preform fine the rest of the shoot. Just my 2 cents