Zaxcom wireless - first hand experience needed

c3kings

Dear All,

I am thinking to purchase a Zaxcom wireless system, but I would like to know any first-hand experience of it from anyone of you.

From Zaxcom's home page, it seems its wireless system quite bulky. Also, I heard that it is quite "delicate." But I may need to use it for very cold and wild locations.

Otherwise, it seems Zaxcom has the best sound quality and very secure backup idea.

Also, how do you compare Zaxcom to Lectrosonic, which seems has a performance in terms of longer distance between the receiver and transmitter.  Any advices?

Thanks.

King

are you anywhere that you can hire or demo a zaxcom unit?

we can offer all the advice we can, but unless you use it yourself, in the way that you like to work, its hard to say how its going to work for you.

but, never found the units 'bulky'. the 900AA transmitter is about the same size as an audio 2040 or lectrosonics uh400. the TRX900 takes a smaller battery and so is a bit smaller, but still has the same run time as the 900AA but i cant get rechargeable batteries for the TRX900, so tend to use the TRX900AA more. there is also the TRX900LT which is even smaller than the TRX900, but has less run time - 3.5 hours (in my experience - zaxcom claim more on their website) compared to 5-6 hours.

the receivers are the same size as the lectro 411, though the QRX100 fits 2 receivers into the same size box.

delicate is a bit of a vague term. but i have had very few failures, and nothing more than i would have expected from any other manufacturers system. there are certainly things to watch out for, and because of all the features that are available and settings you can make, that you can catch yourself out, but then thats why you prepare and test beforehand.

never used the units in very cold situations, though i am sure that with adequate weather protection, they will be fine. battery life may be more of an issue.

the zaxcoms do indeed sound fantastic, but when compared to other top end radio systems, its the difference between excellent and very good. but the extra features that zaxcom offer make a big difference - to me at least.

range is fine, though range is always a variable thing, depending where you are, what else you are using and a whole host of other variables.

but basically, a wireless system is a lot of money to invest in, so try it out before you commit to buying.

good luck

Range is important to me. The SD RF-free backup too, especially in NYC. The wireless from Zax ultimately can answer both issues.

After bumping up the 2.4Ghz IFB system with appropriate antenna and amplifier so its range equals that of the audio to and from the TRX units, I can be as far away from set as I prefer. Last week, the amplifier toasted out, but with only the beefier antenna was still able to get good range (ground floor EXT to third floor INT hallway).

You'll definitely want to have the proper cabling and antenna arrays (do your research), but in the thick of NYC RF/EMF hell, I couldn't be happier with this answer.

Were I to contemplate being in the jungle or some such, far away from FedEx, I'd double up no matter what radio mics I'm using.

Just had occasion to use the units in some long-term cold weather. The battery life suffered. With time/energy, would have warmed them in advance of using, in the hope of extending their lives. No time/energy this job.

Thought I'd never get used to having to change the batteries in 4-5 hours rather than the 8-10 I'd become accustomed to with Audio Ltd. TX's, but I did.

-- Jan

King,

The Zaxcom ST wireless, serves its purpose in a bag rig well, provided if you observe the rules, like staying 2 blocks away from the Talent freq. Range wise, be it Lectro or Zaxcom you will get by but strange things happen in the RF world. The ST transmitter also serves as a back up recorder during ENG situations if it is not transmitting, the user still can use it as a 2 tracks recorder. One thing about Zaxcom wireless, the receiver reminds me of Lectro UCR200D.

About size..............if the current line of transmitters are consider bulky, be it Lectro or Zaxcom. What are we hiding on the talent for the past 20yrs?? Bricks??

Cheers.

Last week, the amplifier toasted out, but with only the beefier antenna was still able to get good range (ground floor EXT to third floor INT hallway).

-- Jan

and your receiver antennas were outside the building?? What kind of antennas are you using? I have shark fins with amp for long cable runs. And still I am quite often in a situation that just the crew around/in front of the talent blocks the transmission - esp. walkntalk with steadicam.

Matthias

Hey Rich,

were you using a rechargable AA when you got 3.5 hours in the LT's? And were they recording at the same time? I assume if they aren't recording battery life would be longer..

In my experience with the TRX900LT I seem to get about 3.5 hours on a rechargable AA and the unit is NOT recording.

Hmm, Zaxcom's website specs the LT at 5 hours with lithium or NiMH.  Real user reports would be helpful.  3.5 hours is pretty slim.

i was disappointed by this as well, and surprised that there was such a difference between what i was getting and what Zaxcom claim i should have been getting. i hoped that i was doing something silly or missing something obvious, or that my NiMh batteries were more on their way out than i thought, but other people told me they were only getting 3.5 hours as well.

and as Senator points out, the Zaxcom site says up to 5 hours battery life. the site also says up to 10 hours for the 900AA, but ive never got more than 7 hours. but then getting 7 hours will get me to lunch, so its rarely an issue.

Hey Rich,

were you using a rechargable AA when you got 3.5 hours in the LT's? And were they recording at the same time? I assume if they aren't recording battery life would be longer..

i did some tests when i got them,it actually runs about almost the same time while it's recording or not.Slightly different.  I'm using the ansmann 2850 rechargeable batts now, it's about 3.5-4 hours.

I actually got 25 min from a 2800mAh... but then the transmitter was sitting in the open air in the roof of a busstop in -36C... normally I get around 3,5-4 hours on fresh charged NiMh. I did a couple of days shooting in really cold weather a couple of weeks ago and everything worked as it should, even the unprotected Alexas. (-35C or -31F)