Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100m of cable cost less then 1 lemo plug :-)

and you can show them a way , placing right angle adaptor on the camera  or monitor - so the cable go down - third world  :-)

my point wan't about cost. someone said that BNC will most likely be easier to substitute if it breaks. my point was that BNC gear is about the most fragile piece of equipment on a film set. In my subjective POV the camera assistants spend half the day finding bad BNC connections and/or fixing them. With that in mind I use lemo any time instead of bnc.

Too many Nomad Threads... Jeff...

1. Is it writing 24bit WAV files to the CF Card like the Deva/Fusion?

2. Can you hook a drive to the Nomad 8 USB port and have it write WAV files to a DVD-RAM or Ext Hard Drive? It was hinted that it  would output mp3...

On another thread this came up, but that thread may have been dropped.

The 6 mic/line inputs have a new super smooth limiter implimented in the analog domain. The 4 camera return/aux balanced inputs do not lave limiters only soft knee compressors in the DSP domain.

Each bus has a softknee compressor.

I had some people confused on the stand because of the elimination of the traditional input trim knobs. We have a  better system of Auto-Trim TM pat. pend. This system automaticly routes the trim function to the menu knob when a channel fader is adjusted. In this way it is always instantly available without the need to push up a hidden knob before you can adjust.

Files are 100% Deva fusion compatable.

Glenn

Any comments on "heat" yet?  Will I be able to cook eggs on it like I could with my 7 series SD recorder?

Sorry you will have to go to a diner to get your eggs because nomad runs cold. Plus there are no moving parts inside to generate heat either.

From the Zaxcom web site:

Nomad is very power efficient and gives off no heat.

Sorry you will have to go to a diner to get your eggs because nomad runs cold. Plus there are no moving parts inside to generate heat either.

From the Zaxcom web site:

Nomad is very power efficient and gives off no heat.

NO heat?  None at all?  Doesn't get warm?  Have you used it on a hot day yet, with all tracks recording at once?

phil p

<This system automaticly routes the trim function to the menu knob when a channel fader is adjusted.>

Are the channel fader knobs touch sensitive? Or does one have to move a channel fader for the menu knob to become the trim?

In any case, this means one can have access to only one trim (per channel) at a time...?

Oh well, I guess these questions will be answered sometime soon...

-vin

<This system automaticly routes the trim function to the menu knob when a channel fader is adjusted.>

Are the channel fader knobs touch sensitive? Or does one have to move a channel fader for the menu knob to become the trim?

In any case, this means one can have access to only one trim (per channel) at a time...?

Oh well, I guess these questions will be answered sometime soon...

-vin

If you move a fader that channel is automatically routed into the auto trim. Then you can either move another fader or manually go to the channel you want to trim. But the last fader you moved is always the one set to go in auto trim.

Jack

Good question Oleg, I'm curious as well.

Can anyone speak about expandability? Retail prices on expansion chipsets?

Usability as an 8 or 12 track mixer/recorder with only 6 XLR inputs and 6 fader pots? Control of tracks 7-8 or 12 seems dubious for bag work unless there is some type of small footprint fader expansion module. And obviously, it would be nice if the 12 track version allowed use of the Mix-12 for cart use but only the Mix-8 is listed in the copy.

Thanks,

Travis

Here's an easy one:  Can you adjust brightness of the front panel LEDs?  They seem like they are set to stun in the coffey video.  This is a must for low lit sets.

I'm guessing they thought of this as even QRX100 LEDs have a dimmer setting.

Regarding the auto-trim feature, are the pots the touch sensing kind?  (like faders on a pro-control) or do they just detect movement?  Would be nice to be able to tap a pot without actually encoding any position change.  Not a big deal either way.  Would just boost the cool factor.

I am trying to get away from is using AA batteries and go towards an NP1 (my current machine doesnt support these),

a Tascam DR-680

Thoughts?

You can use an np1 with the 680. I do. Just wire up a 4pin hirose to plug for the Tascam and it will work fine. I have from day 1.

I would have liked to see an adat optical style input or two.

Really? That seems like a wierd feature to tout, then. Couldn't you do that with any tc recorder that has a screen?  Doesn't seem like a very convenient system for run and gun slating.

E.

The video here shows the slate mode: http://soundandpictureonline.com/2011/04/nab-2011-zaxcom-nomad/

basically the whole screen is just large TC numbers that are inverted so the camera op can be facing the mixer and everything is right side up. Clever idea that was probably pretty easy for Zaxcom to implement.

I don't know how useful this general method is in post, but I did a show where we jammed the big cameras on location and when the field shooters came in (with their prosumer things), they would shoot the home screen of my Fusion to get the clock. Post requested they do that, so I assume it works, and this makes it that much easier. I'm also sure it will get more use if the DSLR video crazy continues. That's another situation where cameras shot my Fusion's screen.

I know one show in particular that would do the same thing with the SD recorders when they used consumer cameras that had night vision. Those TC displays are relatively tiny for somebody to film, but it *seemed* to work out.

As for the Nomad overall, I think it looks great. I can't wait to play with one.