Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

As far as I know the only RF capability Nomad will have is for Zaxnet controls - so 2.4 gig frequency range. Therefore I don't think it can scan anything in the UHF range

i get the impression, that the dream is for the scan feature, amongst others, for all your QRX receivers to be controlled by your zaxcom recorder and it all be linked together using the serial connectors. though i recall Howy writing that this part of the software is some way off.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QRX receivers to be controlled by your zaxcom recorder and it all be linked together using the serial connectors.

This being done was shown in a NAB video from last year (initial launch of the QRX), where your Fusion can control a QRX to scan for available frequencies, and then apply them to multiple transmitters, whether the QRX is actually receiving those transmitters or not ie more than two transmitters can be tuned by the QRX-Fusion link.

As stated below, the software isn't ready, and the QRX's serial USB ports aren't even active yet. I think it'll work for the Nomad first, seeing as both the units share the updated serial-USB port(s).

The Nomad was designed to connect to multiple QRX100s via its serial port. There is a lot of functionality we can get by doing this. When the functions are ready we will put out information on exactly what it can do. We can not promote the features until we have a delivery date.

Glenn

Exactly soundslikejustin. I saw it on that video.

I wasn't sure if it was already implemented on Fusion at this time (not in the PDF manual or mentionned on the Zax site) since the upgrades and updates seem to go so fast that they don't have time to write it down somewhere  :-)

Glenn, now you shed some light on the eventual use of these ports, thanks.

BTW, why did you guys decide on 6AA batts, instead of a system incorporating 1, or even 2 VPX rechargeables?

Are you concerned with the future of the VPX batts?

I always have a bunch of AA (lithiums & alkalines) handy... and can send a PA for a few dozen of AA on a short notice anywhere in the world...

A lot of attention was paid to this subject.

We went with AA batteries to keep the machine as small and light as possible. The use of a 6 cell holder gave us a very easy way to quickly change the battery if necessary.

Because the Nomad is very power efficient and gives off no heat AA batteries it will last for a few hours. The Nomad trickle charges the batteries when running off external 8-18 volts. This keeps NiMh batteries fresh at all times.

The AA run time depends on how many inputs and outputs are used. The Nomad dynamically manages the power resources to conserve batteries. Being able to get batteries anywhere is also a big advantage.

Nomad uses the AA batteries as a UPS so external power can be removed without the Nomad resetting. Batteries can also be installed backwards with no chance of damaging the Nomad.

Glenn

Actually, I'm not sure if the Fusion even does it. I don't own one and no trace of it in the manual.

The video from 2009 NAB showed a prototype, from what I understand.

The feature looks terrific but there's so many things said here and there and updates to be made when the Nomad is released (at some date TBD) that it becomes hard to actually know for sure what's gonna be there and what's not.

There's no announcement for a manual either (I think Zaxcom has to wait for things to be delivered before actually confirming functions and al. hence write a manual).

Bottom line: we'll have to wait for everything to be summed up.

Does any one know if I would be able to record both wav and mp3 files at the same time using NOMAD. I have had conflicting info from different sources.

Thanks

Bob

Yes.

Both the Nomad 8 and 12 will be able to record MP3s directly due to the addition of a Linux processor.

Nomad 8 and 12 will give you three record medium that all can be recorded at the same time. You have the primary Compact Flash which will record on a .zax format. Then you will be able to set the mirror compact flash card to record either a .wav file or an .mp3 file. And you have the USB output (or micro SD slot) to record to.

So you can have the mirror drive record .wav and set the USB output (or micro SD) to record a .mp3. Both of these recordings can be done at the same time.

And if you get the Nomad 4 or 6 you can still create MP3s by taking the primary cards .zax files and run them through Zaxconvert to convert the files to an MP3 format.

Jack

I noticed the off on button is located in a very uncomfortable place.

Will there be a shortcut for ON/OFF?

For me it's not an issue,I'm not sure about your setup but, I have a power distribution system that has its own ON/OFF switch. So for as long as I have my current mixer I think I have used the actual power switch perhaps a half of dozen times.

My distro is a battery cup as well and stays in the back of my petrol. Not a big deal to unzip and zip back again.

For me it's not an issue,I'm not sure about your setup but, I have a power distribution system that has its own ON/OFF switch. So for as long as I have my current mixer I think I have used the actual power switch perhaps a half of dozen times.

I was wondering if anyone has had any difficulties with any piece of equipment, not just Nomad with the apparently inconvenient power switch, when relying on central power distribution switch to power on and off the connected equipment. There are a lot of devices out there that make use of External power but are also fitted with Internal powering (batteries inside) and most of these devices have some way of dealing with the absence of external power. If you had a Sound Devices recorder, or a Deva in the bag for example, and the power switch on the machine was ON but the external power was OFF (switched off at the distro) wouldn't the machine just stay on, powered by internal batteries?

I was wondering if anyone has had any difficulties with any piece of equipment, not just Nomad with the apparently inconvenient power switch, when relying on central power distribution switch to power on and off the connected equipment. There are a lot of devices out there that make use of External power but are also fitted with Internal powering (batteries inside) and most of these devices have some way of dealing with the absence of external power. If you had a Sound Devices recorder, or a Deva in the bag for example, and the power switch on the machine was ON but the external power was OFF (switched off at the distro) wouldn't the machine just stay on, powered by internal batteries?

You're right, the deva just switches over to internal battery if you have one in the machine.

Where is the power switch on the Nomad and why is it considered such an inconvenient location? Doesn't look too bad to me (but then I haven't tried to use one in a bag).

Is that not it in the bottom right hand of the picture?  I don't know about bag work, but just imagine it sitting on your cart with all the plugs around it filled up.  Now imagine how hard it would be to get your finger back there to flick the switch.

The 552 mixer has a similar buttons on the side for the output mic, mic+pad and line switch.

The show I am working on now I have to switch between mic+pad and line depending if I am sending wireless to camera or am hard connected with an umbilical cord.

The switches are very hard to switch in a petrol PEGZ3 bag. I have to tilt the bag so I can see what I am doing.