Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see that it would be a problem.  Better on the front, panel but not a deal breaker.

I assume snapping off the power while in record wouldn't be ideal (though not a total loss due to the MARF format supposedly) but does cutting power while the unit is switched on have any adverse effects in general?  (assume no internal batts present) 

For example, with most computers it's better to shutdown properly rather than yank the power cord out, would the same apply?

I assume snapping off the power while in record wouldn't be ideal (though not a total loss due to the MARF format supposedly) but does cutting power while the unit is switched on have any adverse effects in general?  (assume no internal batts present)

That's not a "supposedly" it is a reality with the MARF system the Deva has always used. Audio is completely recoverable up to the sample when the power was killed. I do not believe there are any other adverse affects to shutting the unit off by pulling the power source even if the external DC is the only source. However, there are lots of good reasons to always have a fully charged internal battery fitted even when powering from an external source. You would lose this if you wanted to be able to turn the machine off by just switching off the external power since it would revert to the internal battery unless there were no internal battery.

I am set on the Nomad. I think it is great.  Power button not a deal breaker.

Even if Nomad was missing half of its functions I was going to buy it.

The form factor and 6 mic pres is my sale point.

Would you choose to NOT buy a Nomad, on account of where the on/off switch is?

Kindest regards,

Simon B

If you had a Sound Devices recorder, or a Deva in the bag for example, and the power switch on the machine was ON but the external power was OFF (switched off at the distro) wouldn't the machine just stay on, powered by internal batteries?

You're right, the deva just switches over to internal battery if you have one in the machine.

Where the switch is doesn't bother me, though I admit it's not the best place to put it if you don't use a power distro system in a bag. Not the best place for a cart user too, imo. But I use a BDS in my bag so...

What could bother me is the fact that if I put batteries in the unit to prevent power failure in a critical shoot, if I switch off the unit it will automatically swap its power to internal batts. I'd like to be able to save these batts for the purpose they were put there in the first place; save the shoot.

The way it's working is great since in case of a batt failure, the unit won't lose a frame of what's being recorded but it would be great to have a menu option to allow it to work either way. I sure don't know how it could be implemented since the difference in the two modes would probably require a kind of "recognition" system to detect that it's my NP1 that just failed and not me who put the power to OFF... 

Mee 2 pennies...

If you had a Sound Devices recorder, or a Deva in the bag for example, and the power switch on the machine was ON but the external power was OFF (switched off at the distro) wouldn't the machine just stay on, powered by internal batteries?

You're right, the deva just switches over to internal battery if you have one in the machine.

Where the switch is doesn't bother me, though I admit it's not the best place to put it if you don't use a power distro system in a bag. Not the best place for a cart user too, imo. But I use a BDS in my bag so...

What could bother me is the fact that if I put batteries in the unit to prevent power failure in a critical shoot, if I switch off the unit it will automatically swap its power to internal batts. I'd like to be able to save these batts for the purpose they were put there in the first place; save the shoot.

The way it's working is great since in case of a batt failure, the unit won't lose a frame of what's being recorded but it would be great to have a menu option to allow it to work either way. I sure don't know how it could be implemented since the difference in the two modes would probably require a kind of "recognition" system to detect that it's my NP1 that just failed and not me who put the power to OFF... 

Mee 2 pennies...

The old HHb Portadat had a built in system that automaticaaly sensed the external voltage and instantly switched to internal power when the external power dropped below a certain level. It was a dead silent switchover and if you didn't look at the display to see which power was being used you would never know.

Eric

The old HHb Portadat had a built in system that automaticaaly sensed the external voltage and instantly switched to internal power when the external power dropped below a certain level. It was a dead silent switchover and if you didn't look at the display to see which power was being used you would never know.

Eric

Eric, that's the way almost all of the recorders work these days, including the Deva and the as yet released Nomad. Obviously, when the external dc drops to ZERO (power has been cut altogether by an external distribution switch) the machine continues to run on its internal battery. That is why I was saying I don't think it is feasible to turn the Nomad on and off by some other method than its dedicated power switch.

I must say that it is a VERY odd position for the power switch.  If I were to use this on my cart, the way it is set up now, getting to the switch with all the ports filled would be nearly impossible.  But considering the ports are all outputs, I don't think I would have anything plugged in anyway, unless I were in the bag.  Even then, it wouldn't be hard to reach into the side on the PEGZ2 and turn it off.

One feature I love about my 7-Series from SD is that I can have it set up to power on when external power is detected.  My utility guy comes in at his pre-call and turns on the PSC Powermax Ultra, which powers up the 788T inside the rack-cart.  He can now jam slates and lockits and such without having to even unstrap the cart.  It's a great feature.

Robert

" why is it considered such an inconvenient "

if it were at a "more convenient" spot, we'd probably be discussing how it is too easy to accidentally turn off.

Keep in mind, on many modern electronic devices, power switches do not actually switch off the electricity, but rather they "tell" the processor to shut down, very often in an orderly fashion, unlike what happens with a sudden loss of voltage..

Keep in mind, on many modern electronic devices, power switches do not actually switch off the electricity, but rather they "tell" the processor to shut down, very often in an orderly fashion, unlike what happens with a sudden loss of voltage..

Yes, this is what I was wondering about. 

As an ENG mixer I'd likely use the unit without internal batteries so that switch-off on my DC distro really means OFF.  It for sure would be a pain, for me at least, to unzip the side of the Petrol, undo the drawstring, wriggle my hand through all the cables that are jumbled around in there and find the switch.

The rare occasion where the battery dies mid-take would have to be avoided by being mindful of battery capacity and change out batts when you have a minute of downtime. 

Besides, I don't keep backup batteries in other gear in the bag  (receivers, transmitters, etc) so loss of the NP1 would likely be a total loss anyway.  The camera is in the same boat so not too big of a deal if you ask me.

...as long as "pulling the plug" has no adverse effects on the Nomad software I think it's all good.

Yes, this is what I was wondering about. 

As an ENG mixer I'd likely use the unit without internal batteries so that switch-off on my DC distro really means OFF.

...as long as "pulling the plug" has no adverse effects on the Nomad software I think it's all good.

Derek

No worries you will be able to shut off power from your battery distribution system, and kill total power to Nomad with no adverse effects at all.

I always use the power switch on my Fusion. Bag or cart. If I am in the bag (PEGZ3) using my BDS, I have the Fusion in the unswitched port anyway. When I use a 442 in a bag, I have the whole bag on one switch. I never thought this to be odd, so I guess it doesn't bother me. I guess the Fusion's power switch is easier to get to because it's on the left side, where I have almost nothing plugged in.

I do keep an NP-1 in the Fusion, so sudden external power loss won't be an issue.

I would rather have to throw two switches than risk the Fusion losing power in the middle of doing something. That big screen means I won't ever forget to turn it off either.

Here are 2 new Nomad home screens.

One includes instant control of "pan selection" allowing for 8 of the 10 analog inputs to be routed to 3 sets of output buses. The input meter with the diamond at the bottom of the display indicates the input trim position and input level. This automatically is selected channel by channel with the "auto trim" selection mode.

The other menu includes 4 instantly accessible fader selections. When combined with the 6 mechanical faders it allows for live control, mixing and recording of 10 isolated analog inputs without the need for external fader attachments. In the picture one of the faders is highlighted to indicate it is live. The faders travel over the input meters for channels 7-10.

These menus not shown at NAB allow the Nomad to provide bus routing, mixer trim capability, and 10 channel mixing that exceeds the capability and equals or surpasses the ease of use of all 2 bus hardware solutions in a similar form factor.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

post-674-130815095747_thumb.jpg

post-674-130815095752_thumb.jpg

Glenn,

Thats really nice stuff. It actually brings up something that I've been thinking about for a while in regards to this machine: fader flip mode.

(Most) every digital mixer is able to "flip" what the fader controls. For instance, you can flip a send, or even pan down to the fader for better control.

When that fader window is up there should be an option to have the 6 mechanical faders on the front flip to be preamp trims. This should also be an option when you are in auto mix mode.

Thoughts?

The 6 faders are pots and not encoders so this flip feature would not be possible. It is also very unnecessary as "auto-trim" allows for instant access to all trim adjustments via the menu encoder. The menu will instantly show the input meter and the position of the adjustment.

Glenn

Ahhhh right. All of the mixers I've used that on either had motorized faders or rotary encoders.

I'm just bummed because my biggest complaint about the mixers I already have is that I do stuff 95% of the time with things at unity gain. So, I have these cool looking faders I never use, and this tiny mic-preamp knob I'm always using (with difficulty). If I get one of these things it will be even worse, I'll have 6 cool looking faders I never use, and only one knob I ever turn!!!

Is it possible to have a mode the mixer operates in where the 2 functions are flipped? Preamp trims on the big dials, and fader movements on the "auto trim/menu" knob?

Just a thought, maybe I'm the only one......