Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good cart setup would be all nomad knobs adjust transmitter trims and then a mix8 for faders :)

That'd be nice, but wouldn't it be better if we could use the trims on the Mix8 to control input level, and TX level? And what about when you're in a bag? Hence my previous post, it'd be great for the auto-trim to be able to be assigned to inputs or TX's, rather than having to assign TX's to spare or additional faders, or having to go into another menu. Auto-trim would know not only which input to trim based on your last fader selection, but what part of the signal chain actually needed to be trimmed, whether it's input gain on the Nomad, or input gain on the TRX pre. Auto-auto-trim?

May I say I find it amazing that a company would be this responsive to good suggestions given on this forum as resulted in the fader assign menu. However there will always be more suggestions and new ideas that might be nice to add. I believe that Nomad is an awesome package as of now on the paper and I hope the suggestions will soon cease as I would like to buy one of these asap and everything they add will delay the release right? It's impossible to be everything to everyone...

+1 on being impressed with Zaxcom's responsiveness to good user/client input.  I feel more confident than ever with my pre-order. I'm guessing that the flexibility built into the Nomad has made the recent changes not a total headache to implement. Either way, thank you thank you for hearing us. Glenn for President!

We are adding new capability to Nomad to assign any input trim control to a hardware fader. In this way the faders can be any combination of channel faders and input trims. For example you can have faders 1-3 control the fader function of channels 1-3 while faders 4-6 control the input trim values of channels 1-3. If desired any combination of faders could be set to input trim.

The assignment is done via the Fader assign menu. The hardware faders can now be assigned as channel faders, input trims and Zaxnet controls for wireless transmitters.

I believe auto-trim will negate the need for any assignment of input trim to a hardware fader. But, then again, who am I to blow against the wind.

Glenn

Glenn,

Very, very cool. I'm really happy about that.

I just got done a job where I never had more then 2 sources. I would totally have used this feature during these 2 days. There are 2 engineers who rent my 788T. Both of them objected to me switching because of this issue and now I can tell them their (probably unwarranted) fears have been allayed. I'm extremely grateful and impressed.

I can't wait for mine!!!

+1 on being impressed with Zaxcom's responsiveness to good user/client input.

Zaxcom has actually taken quite a bit of input from end users in the design and operation of Nomad. And even after many of starting using Nomad it will continue to evolve with additional user feedback.

I was looking at the Nomad online and couldn't find ext. powering connector on it. The specs say it will take it but I didn't see where. I only saw the AA battery bay. Where is it? Thanks.

CrewC

Hey, Crew

Upper left hand corner. Evidently they are going with a coaxial power connector 'cause the device is aimed at the video world. Read that somewhere.

Best regards,

Jim

Nomad_Lft.jpg

Hey, Crew

Upper left hand corner. Evidently they are going with a coaxial power connector 'cause the device is aimed at the video world. Read that somewhere.

Best regards,

Jim

Nomad_Lft.jpg

Maybe it's threaded, I can't tell..... If not, They always seem so "loose"  and unstable...  I will wait to hear if it is threaded before i comment further, I can't remember from NAB...  (must of been the cocktails)...

Everything else is really nice...

Aimed at the video world.... What?  How about simply motion picture recording....  that encompasses all of us..:)  Love the SD power Lemos....  Love the way they "lock"...  I never had that "might wiggle out" feeling...

Maybe it's threaded, I can't tell..... If not, They always seem so "loose"  and unstable...  I will wait to hear if it is threaded before i comment further, I can't remember from NAB...  (must of been the cocktails)...

Everything else is really nice...

Aimed at the video world.... What?  How about simply motion picture recording....  that encompasses all of us..:)  Love the SD power Lemos....  Love the way they "lock"...  I never had that "might wiggle out" feeling...

It's probably the same connector as on their wireless receivers, which threads and is completely stable.

It's probably the same connector as on their wireless receivers, which threads and is completely stable.

Yes the DC connector currently on Nomad is the same locking switchcraft connector that Zaxcom uses on its wireless. Although for the final release version of Nomad the DC connector actually may be changed to a locking 4 pin Hirose.

I prefer the hirose. Hate anything treaded.

My right thumb and index finger got screwed up from a month of changing AAs on the smqvs and screwing swithcraft power in to sr.

Also I have plenty of hirose from my Sound Devices Gear.

I wish the Nomad was out already...

I work one month with production equipment and sold my 744t before that.

Today I purchased a 552 to get me trough work till Nomad comes out.

If somebody is interested I will have one 552 when I get the Nomad.

I will post in the proper section...

Either one is fine for me. One is easier to solder, and one is easier to connect and re-connect quickly. I wonder what their decision on will be based on.

Either one is fine for me. One is easier to solder, and one is easier to connect and re-connect quickly. I wonder what their decision on will be based on.

it might be a regional thing. i know there was pressure from the uk to use the 4 pin hirose as that is (in my experience anyway) a far more common connector.

i would expect it would be something specified at the time of order.

it might be a regional thing. i know there was pressure from the uk to use the 4 pin hirose as that is (in my experience anyway) a far more common connector.

That makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I'd like the hirose, since that will match what is already on all of my battery cups.

There was talk early on that you could have a choice to order Nomad with either a locking coax or the 4 pin Hirose - I don't know if that is still the case anymore. 

But say that the DC power connector my actually have to be the 4pin Hirose due to some internal power grounding thing.

After messing around with the demo versions, i still can't get over the fact that there is no record button. in order to get the nomad to record i have to hold the menu button and hit the TC button. shouldn't this be the other way around. i need to access the record and stop buttons way more often then the timecode and znet buttons. Having to use two hands to hit record is a real deal breaker for me. Im not sure if this has been brought up here before but is this going to get changed?

dre

After messing around with the demo versions, i still can't get over the fact that there is no record button. in order to get the nomad to record i have to hold the menu button and hit the TC button. shouldn't this be the other way around. i need to access the record and stop buttons way more often then the timecode and znet buttons. Having to use two hands to hit record is a real deal breaker for me. Im not sure if this has been brought up here before but is this going to get changed?

dre

Really?... That seems counter productive... and strange... somehow I missed that....  that would be a pain in the ass all day... especially if booming on a doc or something...you  could probably do it with one hand, but why have to go through it... Maybe a software change could enable one button recording... interesting...  good observation...

After messing around with the demo versions, i still can't get over the fact that there is no record button. in order to get the nomad to record i have to hold the menu button and hit the TC button. shouldn't this be the other way around.

dre

I brought this up to Zaxcom quite awhile ago and as far as I know the issue has been resolved. It is my understanding that there is a toggled mode so that in one mode, a single press of REC or STOP will do just that. There will be no need to do some sort of SHIFT - REC to go into record.

dre

Actually if you hold the TC button/record button for two seconds it will record. Hold the Znet/stop for two seconds it will stop and its the same for A-mix/play.

So two hand record is not necessary.

Jack

The REC,STOP and PLAY functions are user selectable as shifted or unshifted. As Jack pointed out that even when shifted holding the button for 1 second will activate the transport function.

All common fuctions found on traditional mixers are set up to be activated by 1 hand so a boom pole can be operated at the same time.

Glenn