Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

Perhaps the nomad will have better ifb reception. (keeping in mind that the receiver I'm reporting on here is the built in ifb of the trx, which is a single antenna design and supposedly has about 1/4 the range of an erx)

Yes the Nomad has a better receive antenna that the TRXaa. Although I haven't field tested it Glenn is telling me that the range will be much better.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot reassign your mix tracks while recording.  I was really hoping the Nomad can do this since it was designed for ENG purposes.  Then again, I could be wrong and totally change my mind when I get to use one.

"While recording" was not mentioned before, but yes, that is correct for the fusion if in record. As Glenn stated though, it's not the same for the Nomad which I'm now interested in why/how, if it uses the similar input/output routing scheme?

Could you use AES to have all your gear lock together? 

phil p

If hadn't sold my digi sync I/O, but sadly my digi timepiece doesn't have AES sync.

If the Nomad can sync from AES, and send 8 ch AES then I'm OK.  Also, if the clock actually derives, or auto tunes its clock from incoming TC, then I should be fine as well.

I have never had the need to pan in the middle of recording.

I spent some time using 744t without a mixer and changing the input routing from left to right output was never a big deal going in the menu.

My biggest waist of time has always been changing scene information.

On the SD machine, you can pan (reassign) L/R outputs/mix tracks on the fly while recording and you can do 2 channels or more at once with 2 hands if you're flexible enough.  This is simply impossible with the Fusion.  You cannot reassign your mix tracks while recording.  I was really hoping the Nomad can do this since it was designed for ENG purposes.  Then again, I could be wrong and totally change my mind when I get to use one.

The Nomad can definitly change bus routing (PAN) while in record.

Glenn

Now the Nomad is definitely worth looking into. The Fusion's routing flexibility is leaps and bounds ahead of the SD machines. But it's that additional flexibility that sometimes make simple functions difficult in a fast pace ENG situation. For features or scripted shows, it's perfect.  I'm looking forward to seeing Nomad's capabilities though.

Can someone please explain when going from a 6 track to 8 track NOMAD the "3 media recording capability with mp3 transcription?"

gracias......cleve

The 8 or the 12 channel gives you the ability to record via the USB as well as the primary and secondary card. And the 8 and 12 adds another processor that gives you the ability to record MP3's as well.

It's a good thing we don't have a mic pointed at our sound bags during an interview!

Are you serious!  With a click as loud as that sounds any mic in an inteview room pointed in any direction would here that.  If I am clicking away to solo different inputs or hear different matrix options I am sure no producer would be very happy. 

Andy

Are you serious!  With a click as loud as that sounds any mic in an inteview room pointed in any direction would here that.  If I am clicking away to solo different inputs or hear different matrix options I am sure no producer would be very happy. 

Andy

The click would be no louder than the producers/camera op/etc..etc.. in the room tapping their finger nails on their smartphone screens from my experiences hehe :P.

The click would be no louder than the producers/camera op/etc..etc.. in the room tapping their finger nails on their smartphone screens from my experiences hehe :P.

All kidding aside it seems like it could be too loud to use in a quiet location.  Did you listen to it?  Eventually someone will address it and let me/us know how loud it really is. 

Andy

All kidding aside it seems like it could be too loud to use in a quiet location.  Did you listen to it?  Eventually someone will address it and let me/us know how loud it really is. 

Andy

I did watch the vid, and heard what you're speaking of.  It is "audible", but I really think it wouldn't be much of a concern.  If it did become that much of an issue, I'm sure something would be adjusted, Zaxcom is good like that :)

I did watch the vid, and heard what you're speaking of.  It is "audible", but I really think it wouldn't be much of a concern.  If it did become that much of an issue, I'm sure something would be adjusted, Zaxcom is good like that :)

Hey Zack with all due respect I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t try to play this down.  I am not trying to make a big deal out of it but it does seem to me like it could be an issue.  My interest is to ne able to use the Nomad as an ENG mixer as well as a recorder.  But if there is this loud clicking every time I adjusted the headphone knob then that could be a deal breaker for me.  That was a concern when the SD 442 came out with the return toggle switch.  In the “A” position there was a loud click.  I am careful when I use the 442 toggle during an interview.  The clicking sound on the Nomad seems to be louder and because the headphone knob controls other functions it would require more use.    Since I can hear it over top of a noisy NAB convention hall like in the Trew Audio Video then I think it is worth finding out more about it.  Although I hope that Zaxcom would fix it if their customers thought it was a problem but I wouldn’t bet on it.  I guess I will have to wait until one of our fellow mixers has one in their possession again.

Thanks,

Andy

I agree about the clicking but we don't have any positive confirmation that it is that audible other than some mediocre trade show audio and keep in mind the mixer clicking is also from a trade show demo unit. Given that I can't imagine that Zaxcom would put a noisy switch like that on a mixer. 

Can someone at the show let us all know.

Just checked the Nomad on the floor. I did not find the click to be bothersome.

Also release date is 3 months from now.

About routing:

You have to press menu twice and scroll on the matrix for assigning input to output.

It should not be a problem to set it up.

Mic Pres:

Newer design from Fusion and I am quoting zaxcom rep "maybe better then fusion".

AD/DA Possible 96khz via firmware update in the future. Remember when 788t first came out people were complaining about the same thing.

HEAT: Did not feel any. My 744t sometimes can cook an egg.

Wireless next to the recorder:

Rep said It should not be a problem to have RX TX next to the recorder.

THUMBS UP.

I agree with Andy that an easily audible click is should be much of a concern, especially when it will often be in the vicinity of the set and microphones, and will be pressed while recording. I had the same concerns with the PTT button on the beta versions of the Remote Audio BoomBox v2. Being too picky? No. How many times have we had to tell the script supervisor that we can hear the click of their stopwatch, and then they ask, "You can hear that?". Sound gear needs to be quiet while recording, both electronically and mechanically.

I don't know if the Nomad switch in question is too loud, but the acoustical noise a switch makes is definitely important enough to consider, and needs to be very quiet and muffled.

Glen Trew

After listening again to the video on the Trew Audio website (the Glenn Sanders tour of the Nomad http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/2011/04/13/the-long-awaited-nomad-from-zaxcom/), I should point out that the microphone used on that video was mounted on the camera, and the switch was audible when the camera was only a few inches from the Nomad. With that in mind, it seems that the switch is likely as quiet as it should be.

Glen Trew

After listening again to the video on the Trew Audio website (the Glenn Sanders tour of the Nomad http://www.trewaudio.com/audioflow/2011/04/13/the-long-awaited-nomad-from-zaxcom/), I should point out that the microphone used on that video was mounted on the camera, and the switch was audible when the camera was only a few inches from the Nomad. With that in mind, it seems that the switch is likely as quiet as it should be.

Glen Trew

This is exactly why i responded to the discussion in the first place.  Thank you for making me feel sane Glen :P..... carry on sir.