Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

Also, I love this thread. Great input from many mixers and entrepreneurs whom I have nothing but respect for.

Glenn, I think I am your target user. I'm pushing the panning thing because it's a concern for someone whom this product is otherwise made for. I'm the type of person who needs and wants durable, efficient, small footprint devices, and people like me still need to create stereo mix-downs while walking back-ward at night with booms extended. There are a lot of reply's in this thread which say, "This might not be the product for you...," but it is CLEARLY designed with mixers like me in mind - don't design one of the smallest most flexible pieces of equipment ever and tell me it's not. It just seems kneecapped with a cart-style biased routing system.

I've got some ideas for a software based solutions if you care to hear them. Keep up the great work and innovation!

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, for me it would be more the trim.  I like the idea of a dual concentric pot, like the old master volume on the shure mixer.  Fader and trim, or simply pull for trim and push for fader.  As of the pan, variable pan is great but i could live with simple left and right tiny push button to assign, like on the CL8.  THen we would be talking about a real game changer for the ENG/Reality market.

I think anyone who declares that the SD 788/CL9 is DEAD is not thinking clearly.

I hope they aren't thinking clearly and have one to sell me at a fire-sale price.

The Nomad is an amazing machine that will enable a style of working and facilitate a multitude of functions all in one box, things which cannot be accomplished with any combination of devices from all the other manufacturers.

I can't tell if the Nomad will work for me. I'd like to rent a Nomad for a week and see what I think, then I'll know if it can adapt to me and I can adapt to it.

Man, the price and the features are really intriguing.

4 channel micpre recorder nomad $3300

2 channel micpre 4 channel recorder 744t  $4095

This is cheaper.

6 channel Nomad $4400 gives you IFb and time code integrated TX/RX. Also AES42 if you care about it.

Zaxcom products will never be cheaper then the competitor but they are worth the extra cost.

" Who would buy the 744t over Nomad? "

how easily one simply dismisses all sorts of other customers besides the relatively few of us here...

how many folks were at the RAMPS get together ??

there were almost 1k HAM radio operators at the Wednesday HAM radio reception...

do not discount the musicians "MI" market sector, and yes, in todays marketplace a product as long in the tooth as the original 7 series recorders are not the hot sellers they used to be, and neither are many of the digital recorders that are newer than the older 7 series models, including some from Zaxcom...

" I believe the 4 ch nomad has no tc tho so that can be an issue "

or

" I believe it does have TC. "

and I believe the world is flat...

you gotta' believe really hard!

or

not a matter of belief:

This page:

http://www.zaxcom.com/Nomad.html

I agree with what a lot of the ENG mixers have said below. If the Nomad had simple pan buttons and trim knobs (please add them!) it would be a no-brainer purchase for me. But because it doesn't (as of yet), I'm still leaning towards the 788T - CL8 combo. Stereo mixes are still huge for the reality work I'm doing.