Zaxcom Nomad (The "Non-conjecture" thread)

Chris Durfy

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh!

This is an almost exact detailed machine that I specifically mentioned to the SD folks way back.  To allow the user to upgrade more tracks when they need to while only needing one machine.  If even more tracks are needed, add an extension I/O.  Need more faders, add another extension bank of faders or possibly have the faders and pots be bankable and configurable like the Digi (Avid) ICONs.

We'll have to wait so we can put hands on the unit.

To me, the trim doesn't seem to be a problem. The noisy button, I'll see how it goes in real ...

But I doubt they would change the design at that stage, since it's announced for mid-July (unless they release the Nomad2 in december, hah)(but the noisy button could be changed though).

Putting pan switches would probably require mods in an already tight space inside the box (and tight schedule for release date).

But what do I know about that...

Hi Solid,

I think it is a good thing that we now have considerably more choice in the market - more to the pont we now have more choice at the ENG end of the business - must be an improvement.

I think it is pretty obvious that there really isnt any spare real estate on the Nomad chassis for pan pots, or individual hardware trim pots - so like it or leave it - that is what it is going to be.

It occurs that for many/most users, the pan and trim thing will not be a big deal, in which case that will put Nomad at the very least on their shopping map.

As regards to the pan thing - bearing in mind that any panning that would get done within a Nomad like product would be occurring in the digital domain.... how would you designate which mix or OP tracks any particular IP would be panned between?

I dont think many will agree when you suggest that the Nomad is not a 'high end product' - it is clearly that - it just happens to NOT have a couple of features that are important to you and your way of working. Fortunately there are other products that will work better for you - thats the brilliant thing about choice!!

I LOVE the video of Jon and Glenn - it looks to me like Jon was straining not to burst into laughter - and I hope that they both had a good laugh afterwards - who on Earth set that up - I am jealous that I was not there to do more devilry!!!

One question, if I may.... If your mixer of choice is currently a 552, how do you mix a boom with radios 1,2 and 8 (or whatever channels you mentioned in your other post)?

Kindest regards,

Simon B

As I see it, ENG audio refers to mixing audio to the camera as the record source (2 or 4-track as new cameras have that option).  That is an essential aspect of every job I have ever done that I'd consider "ENG".  Simply working out of a bag does not make a shoot ENG.  What we're talking about is mixing/panning to the camera as a record source.  The Isos or a backup recorder are great features of the new hardware options in the marketplace, but ultimately they are secondary to the goal of recording audio to the camera.

The real comparison is to the other ENG MIXERS in the marketplace.  I really wanted this to be a must-own product, but for me its is not.  The singular reason is that for those of us who often do true ENG mixing, the speed of pan and trim that a mixer like the SD552 provides simply isnt matched here.  I had hoped that the Nomad would be a high-end product that we could purchase that would replace all the "lower-end" mixers we use, taking the field mixer into the 21st century.  Unfortunately, IMO, this product lacks essential ergonomic essentials that the ENG Sound Mixer requires to do our jobs at the speed that is required.

That said, if I was a person looking to purchase their first recorder, or upgrade to a multi-track, I would strongly consider a Nomad versus a 744t/788t/Fusion.  Unfortunately I'm not in that situation right now, but I can definitely see the Nomad taking a lot of sales from Sound Devices (and also from the Fusion, which to me seems like it may have had its legs chopped out by its own maker).

I implore Glenn and the other folks at Zaxcom to add a hardware pan to each fader before they release the Nomad into the wild.  If they did, I can almost guarantee that they'd take over the ENG mixer industry with the low price point they are starting at.  Otherwise, it simply doesn't add enough to make me switch from my 552, and it fails to satisfy a large part of the market it hopes to compete in, that of ENG sound. 

e.

Apologies,

I managed to get confused - I mixed (didnt pan though) Solid, and tbreitenbach's post, and created a question that I should in fact have gained down ;-))

Apologies,

Simon B

One question, if I may.... If your mixer of choice is currently a 552, how do you mix a boom with radios 1,2 and 8 (or whatever channels you mentioned in your other post)?

I think it is pretty obvious that there really isnt any spare real estate on the Nomad chassis for pan pots, or individual hardware trim pots - so like it or leave it - that is what it is going to

I would argue that 2 little pan buttons (as used on the CL8) is an elegant and space-saving solution, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

As regards to the pan thing - bearing in mind that any panning that would get done within a Nomad like product would be occurring in the digital domain.... how would you designate which mix or OP tracks any particular IP would be panned between?

On the fusion 10 (with the breakaway cable connector) the camera outs are duplicates of output bus 5 and 6. This seems like a reasonable approach, or even better, this could be toggled in a menu.

I dont think many will agree when you suggest that the Nomad is not a 'high end product' - it is clearly that - it just happens to NOT have a couple of features that are important to you and your way of working. Fortunately there are other products that will work better for you - thats the brilliant thing about choice!

I hope it did not come across that I am calling the Nomad a low-end product. I simply meant to say that for the purposes of ENG mixing, this isn't going to blow away the purpose-built "low-end" products that have certain dedicated controls that are required for ENG mixing, as it exists today. IMO if pan controls were added, it would do just that. I'm willing to give the "auto-trim" a try before passing judgement, but as a Fusion owner/user, menu-based pan controls will not get it done for me in the ENG world I often inhabit.

E.

I thought this would make my 552 old hat but for ENG but I would not want a machine even more complicated than the 552 already is.

I understood the earlier example of needing to pan during recording and have to say that one of the problems of the 552 is that it is a software digital pan not hardwired and it makes glitches to the sound as you turn it. How could I do that on a music recording for instance. I still see the SQN as the best for quality of the sound path and the more software comes into it the less safe recording with these machines seems to become. Also there is not enough gain after 12 o'clock on the 552 fader compared to SQN and now the gain pot is moving away from hardwired.

Also shame about no 10 pin hirose.

Good news from Glenn

"Nomad will be able to record at 96 KHz. It should also record at 192KHz

with track count restrictions. This was an oversight in the current specifications that were put out this week.

As I am still not home yet please cross post this to all other forums that might be interested. 

Thanks

Glenn"

Hi all,

After reading all the posts, I'm still excited to see a Nomad in the flesh.  Being upgradeable, having TC, having IFB on board and virtually no heat does make it enticing.  I have a sneaky suspicion that the great folks at Zaxcom will most probably design a control surface that will have the functions that the people think that the Nomad is missing.

It will be part of the evolution of the product.

Cheers and Have a great weekend everyone!

B Wilson

I'm excited about it, but as a doc guy, I'm also changing trims and pans during the roll.  On my 302 I can change 2 trims at once with one hand; with the Nomad it looks like this would be a 2-hand (or tedious 1-hand) operation.  That said, I can't wait to try one out and see how much it bothers me, because everything else about it looks great.

everything could be added - even the mix 12 :-)

I was told "no Mix-12" on the Nomad. Yes to Mix-8.

I would bet that the Nomad is a future product direction for Zaxcom. My guess is that we might eventually see a cart-based version that would be some kind of replacement for the 5.8, complete with touchscreen, more input/routing features, 2 x CF card recording, and so on.

As others have said, it's good to have more choices out there. I was initially skeptical, but I'm now officially buzzed.

--Marc W.

I was told "no Mix-12" on the Nomad. Yes to Mix-8.

I would bet that the Nomad is a future product direction for Zaxcom. My guess is that we might eventually see a cart-based version that would be some kind of replacement for the 5.8, complete with touchscreen, more input/routing features, 2 x CF card recording, and so on.

As others have said, it's good to have more choices out there. I was initially skeptical, but I'm now officially buzzed.

--Marc W.

ever checked out the power consumption of the mix-8? I heard it's pretty high and you need seperate power. the beauty if the cl-9 is that it only need a single usb connection and no power.

Anyone got any info on the Nomad limiters please? Are they similar/the same as the Fusion limiters ie. OK up to a point but then tend to get overwhelmed in to unusable distortion, with no visual indication that they are engaging. Sorry to be critical of Zaxcom limiters but they're just simply not as 'brick wall' as the brilliant SD analogue limiters eg. on the 442 (with graduated indication of engagement) and I've been spoiled and know what's possible now :)

I'm not sure but this may be the difference between analog limiters and digital limiters. I just know that the limiters on my Fusion can be overwhelmed quite soon, and also that it's a great pity there's is no visual indication of when they are engaging.

Also my vote would be for individual hardware trim knobs regardless of weight / space / clutter etc. I just like to know that I can get to them in a flash, and used in combination with a visual indication of limiters being tickled, is just the way I like to work. Though of course I have not been able to try the 'automix' of the Nomad and could yet be persuaded otherwise :)

read from the beginning!

"The 6 mic/line inputs have a new super smooth limiter implimented in the analog domain. The 4 camera return/aux balanced inputs do not lave limiters only soft knee compressors in the DSP domain.

Each bus has a softknee compressor.

Glenn "

Ah yes sorry there on page two.

Any visual indication of limiter engagement?

thanks

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

The Nomad doesnt really seem to resolve the issues I am working with, other than TC. As of yet, I havnt had the need for AES, but what I am trying to get away from is using AA batteries and go towards an NP1 (my current machine doesnt support these), having an internal hard drive (solid state would be ideal), and individual trims. Obviously more mic/line inputs are helpful as well.

Jon, I use Tascam DR-680 with an NP1 battery. You just need a shoe for it. (like Hawkwoods) It runs for almost a whole day even when powering my 442 and two micron wireless receivers.