Fostex DC-R302

Reboot

For XLR output I'm looking at 2 options:

- HOSA CYX-403m 1/8" to 2x male xlr cable

http://www.performanceaudio.com/buy/Hosa/CYX_403M/10609

This option may be doubious for run-n-gun.

- WHIRLWIND ISO2 RCA to XLR line balancer box

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/specialty-interface-solutions/iso-2-dual-line-level-isolator-and-balancer

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my FOSTEX DC-R302, I payed $999.00 CDN.

My first impression is that it is smaller and lighter in weight than I expected and does not look exactly like the picture at the top of this topic.

Tried to order the SC-302 carry case,

http://www.fostexint...s/DC-R302.shtml

but it's not available in Canada yet.

There is a 10 page "quick start guide" included that got me up and running, the guide says, on the first page " For the more detailed info see the Owners manual that can be downloaded from the Fostex website"...but could not find it anywhere!

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/manuals.shtml

Going to do a full test with a Pro video camera tomorrow , I'll report back on how it works out.

The only downside I see at this point is the doubious 1/8" mic out, and that is prolly fine for indoor stationary aplications.

Also picked up a ART dual passive direct box ( a line to mic level converter box) to use for run and gun activity

and a 10' Yorkville stereo 1/8" to 2 X male XLR cable.

Ok, I've been mucking about with my DC-R302, I recorded myself playing percussion with my Rode NT-4 stereo mic and created 4 wav. files at 48K ,16Bit .

On playback there is a nasty, very bright, rapidly flickering green LED next to the LCD.

It recorded "scenes 1,2,3 & 4 in Folder (oo1)" , it was easy, and they all sound great,

but when I wanted to delete them..........I could not for the life of me figure how to.

There is absolutely no info in the "quick start guide" about files, scenes, folder editing or deleting etc !!!

Pressed every combo of the tiny front panel buttons with no luck, once I saw a new folder option, but I could not get into any other editing options.

YIKES!

I emailed the Canadian distributor for fostex about the DC-R302 not having a owner's manual available.

Their prompt response:

"It doesn't seem like the manual has been uploaded yet. I have sent a message to Japan and are awaiting their reply.

I have asked them if an advance copy can be sent to us. If possible, I'll be glad to forward it to you ASAP. "

Tried usb to my puter, but nothing.

It's a drag not to have the elusive Owner's manual, hopefully will get this sorted out soon.

Today I emailed the Canadian distributor for fostex about the DC-R302 not having a operations manual available.

The response:

"It doesn't seem like the manual has been uploaded yet. I have sent a message to Japan and are awaiting their reply. "

I find it hard to understand how a long established company as Fostex would release a high tech product, to paying customers without providing a adequate operations manual.

Sent an email to Fostex Japan late last night regarding the current

unavailability of the DC-R302 Owner's manual download, and got a prompt response from the sales mgr. with an apology.

Apparently they are still working on it and I am the first person it North America to purchase one.

The sales mgr. answered a bunch of questions that I had about operations, sent me a firmware update so now I am excited and very pleased with my DC-R302.

If anyone here has any questions about this device, let me know and I'll get the sales mgr. to answer them.

I would like to say that the Fostex Rep. was prompt and very helpful answering about a dozen questions that I had about the operation of the device.

With the info on the operations and the firmware update I feel confident that I can take into the field and use it.

Deleting files was no problem with the update.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fostex really dragging there feet on getting this out.....now July?

Email from American Music US distributer said April/May in USA. It's already out in other countries.

Was at LSC yesterday and also saw it. Really tiny, but well made.

Transport controls so small I will need to wear my glasses.

I may be losing my woody for this thing....-10 XLR line input?

No adjustable limiter.. on all the time at -1dBfs.

Talked to an owner in another country.. says it sounds good!

FR-2LE still only cheap "usable"recorder that has line inputs that bypass preamps.

• 5 months later...

I've ordered my Fostex DC-R302 from Thomann.de for £776 and it just arrived in 30th nov 2012. It really looks awesome sounds quite al right. I am hoping to post on youtube an extensive test. Please feel free to contact me if you have any question regarding this item.

I have a Canon 600D, a Sony FX1 Camcorder, and a microphone Sennheiser MKH416. Also a Sony UWP V1 lavalier kit. idnounout@yahoo.com