Isolation Headphones

Audio Daddyo

I got a set a few years ago. They work great but I found them to big to have kicking around just in case. They are great for listening to music while mowing the lawns though.

Instead I carry a set of Shure E2 earphones. I find them a lot more convenient. Really handy for helicopter work under a coms headset and for locations where you need to wear a hard hat.

The Direct Sound head set gives better isolation, there just not that convenient.

Adam

Andy, to mix music, you might want to try these phones before you buy (HN7506s).

You kind of have to get used to the sound even if they use the 7506s drivers inside; it really sounds different surely because of the "eggshell" design and high isolation.

I've used them mostly to record on location with big crowds cheering out loud all day long, dragsters and warcrafts. The isolation is #1. Volume down means muting of surroundings (beware if crossing a street!:-P ) Sound fidelty is somewhat different but you get used to it after a while.

I've been using Ultraphones by GK-Music for years. Same basic idea, Sony 7506 drivers in a Peltor 29db protection headset.

I have a pinhead and they fit well. I also use them upside down with hardhats in loud industrial environments. Approved by military weapons testing rangemasters.

I love them!

$230.

Dave Wendlinger

...I am planning to use these mostly for multi-track recordings of live band performances.  I already own etymotics but want something I can easily take on and off.  I am also considering the HN7506s from Remote Audio... 

I was recently mixing a live music event and had a difficult time of it with the HNs.  I switched to my Etymotics and it helped a great deal.  IMO, when mixing music you need something more accurate than either the 7506s or the HNs.

Although, "what you're used to" figures into this, I'm quite used to the HNs and seldom use the Etymotics but found the HNs unsuitable for mixing music and the Etymotics much more accurate.  I could tell what I was doing with the Etymotics -- the HNs were too colored.

Hey John,  I'm not really mixing but recording tracks so not Eqing just recording flat.  I would like as much isolation as possible and was hoping to find something with more isolation than my Etymotics.  I use the foam inserts which I think isolate better than my custom ear molds but I still feel it is not enough.  Trying to protect my ears as much as I can in loud envirnoments.

Andy

I was recently mixing a live music event and had a difficult time of it with the HNs.  I switched to my Etymotics and it helped a great deal.  IMO, when mixing music you need something more accurate than either the 7506s or the HNs.

Although, "what you're used to" figures into this, I'm quite used to the HNs and seldom use the Etymotics but found the HNs unsuitable for mixing music and the Etymotics much more accurate.  I could tell what I was doing with the Etymotics -- the HNs were too colored.

John, I am curious about how old your HN-7506 phones are. The first runs made (between 5 and 7 years ago) went through some alterations in the mounting position, pads, and baffling, all of which can change the character of the phones. All HN-7506 phones made within the last 3 years should be consistent.

Glen Trew

Hey John,  I'm not really mixing but recording tracks so not Eqing just recording flat.  I would like as much isolation as possible and was hoping to find something with more isolation than my Etymotics.  I use the foam inserts which I think isolate better than my custom ear molds but I still feel it is not enough.  Trying to protect my ears as much as I can in loud envirnoments.

Andy

Andy, I don't think you'll find any that isolate and protect your ears as well as the Remote Audio HN-7506. If you get them and disagree, I'll buy them back.

Glen Trew

John, I am curious about how old your HN-7506 phones are. The first runs made (between 5 and 7 years ago) went through some alterations in the mounting position, pads, and baffling, all of which can change the character of the phones. All HN-7506 phones made within the last 3 years should be consistent.

They originally had the fluid-filled pads if that helps date them.  I spoke with you about the headbands in August of '04, so it was before then.

So, what's the difference in the sound now?

They originally had the fluid-filled pads if that helps date them.  I spoke with you about the headbands in August of '04, so it was before then.

So, what's the difference in the sound now?

Primarily the difference is in consistency, as the mounting position of the drivers and acoustical treatment have since been settled on so that they sound as close as possible to the regular Sony MDR-7506. The difference is primarily in the perceived base response, and my guess is that your's seem to have less than the regular Sony phones.

GT