Deva Mix 12

larry long

Hi.

You are correct sir, the more forward we go the more complicated it gets, ha ha.  I have had the MX-12 / DEVA V combo for 1 week.  I  have had so much fun playing with it.  Wow, it really

"opens up the Deva". 

Yes, if the Deva dies, I will have to swap out the whole "combo", but, I feel it's worth the

chance.  I mean, if I was worried about the Deva V failing, I would have not bought the Deva V  in the first place.  Although I am taking a great chance being one of the first people to buy a  MX-12.  Next week will be my first time on set with it, I will give post as the show unfolds.

Buy the way, has anyone had the Deva V fail while recording?

Coleman

www.colemanmetts.com

Simon Bishop has the most experience with the combo.  He post on RAMPS, I do not know

about here??  He has been loving the "combo".  Only about 25 MX-12's have been built, (what I was told when I asked ZAXCOM)  so, I had no idea who to ask any information from other than

Simon.  I posted here once but got no reply.  I mean, who are these other 25 people?? 

Coleman

Not afraid to take stupid chances

Yes, the Mix 12 PL talk back function does work .  it does require using Deva slate mic , and it sounds like you are next to a computer, when the dvd drive is running. An external Mic input is in the software menu.  You  input through the 10 pin connector.  You have to send it line level though.  I have not done this yet as I am very busy.

Well, first 2 days on the job, and the MX-12 has been great!  It really "opens up" the Deva.  The manual does not do it justice.  It's really unlimited, it seems.

The Deva "froze up" about 4 times today.  Then it seemed to get better, not funny like ha ha.

The Chinda cart is the best thing since sliced bread.  My most favorite piece of equipment!!

Coleman

My Deva has frozen a few times when "tapping" through the menu very quickly; it seems the screen got stuck b/n two menu options and all controls were unresponsive.  A quick re-boot and everything was back to normal.  Untill the day it sputters while recording, I'll let little O.S. farts do their thing with out worry. Wait... did I just jinx myself. Damn.

-Travis Groves

Hi Coleman

I have one of the Mix 12,s (Serial No. 21) /Deva V Combos, got the 12 while in the middle of a shoot, so still using my Cameo untill I have a chance to learn & play with it, the shoot I am on is a 10 to 16 page a day sitcom so there is no time to fuss or mess about with new toys, its heads down and hang on.

Regards Brian

Hi Coleman

I have one of the Mix 12,s (Serial No. 21) /Deva V Combos, got the 12 while in the middle of a shoot, so still using my Cameo untill I have a chance to learn & play with it, the shoot I am on is a 10 to 16 page a day sitcom so there is no time to fuss or mess about with new toys, its heads down and hang on.

Regards Brian

So the Mx12 compares with all the things that a Cameo can do (incl delays etc)?  That IS pretty amazing.

Philip Perkins

I feed my PD4 with the DEVA digital outputs.  The PD4 is working great.  I look at  like the

DEVA is the mixer, really.

The DEVA has been saying "mirror aborted", about twice a day.  Then I have to re-format the dvd-ram again (as FAT32) , and start the mirroring again.  I am using the internal DVD burner.    Yesterday, the screen went blank after the mirroring was finished at the end of the day. I HAD TO RESTART THE DEVA, and all was OK.

So far, it has been rock solid while recording.

I really like the sound, and how easy it is to change things quickly. 

IMHO: The manual is no where near really explaining the way to interface with it.  I think a

DVD movie, showing it being set-up to use , would be a wonderful way to introduce the

MX-12 / DEVA, to new customers. 

Hey Coleman, I have had the Deva V freeze up on my once. I still don't know what the cause was. I had plenty of HD space and I wasn't adjusting a menu item at the time. It was a one-take, no cuts style movie that lasted about 100 min. We were doing several takes and then the director would pick the best one. We had already run it successfully five or six times. About ten minutes into a take, my screen froze up and a harsh squeal came belting out my headphones. I had one iso'd output feeding a comtek for my boom op, and apparently the sound came out of all my outputs because I looked over at him just as he ripped his phones off. I turned off the power, restarted and everything worked fine the rest of the week. Who knows?

Just thought I would throw this experience in, as you asked if the Deva has ever frozen up on anyone...

I have had a great week with the MX-12.  I am sending  audio out to: Clients, Boomers, Video

Assist, a Speaker on my cart, and the Eng. Crew.  ( and digital audio to my Fostex PD-4)

Now, if I had any other recorders , or anything else that would take a digital output, I have  6

more outputs waiting.

I got the external slate mic. working great this week.  I really am liking the sound with this set

up.  The MX-12 has a really neat feature, when you use a bottom, like the talk back to boomers, the channel lights up, that the audio is routed out of, on that buss.  Now you always have a visual check of where your functions are going.  ( and not going).  I also like not having a lot of buttons on the panel, that I might hit by mistake, during the take. 

So far so good. 

Coleman

Looks very nice. How much cost?

Hope so in next future they`ll combine this mixer whith Deva and make only one device.

Allready Sonosax go in this direction at an afordable price, (around 10000$), and I think all company wich has good mixers can chase their example.

I think everybody wants only one piece instead of two ( ceaper than recorder + mixer, no cable betwen, no waste space, easy to transport, only one A/D conversion,etc)

Dragos

The Deva / Mix 12 combo is the opposite of what you suggest. The Mix 12 is an addition to an already fully featured recorder, the Deva, and actually harnesses the power and function of the recorder. What Sonosax has done is take a beautiful mixer and add a recorder to it.

There are advantages and disadvantages of a "one box" approach to this. I agree it would be nice to have to just purchase ONE piece of equipment that combines the mixer and the recorder and this in fact what you do get with the top recorders --- Deva and Cantar. Other than the Sonosax (which I think is quite expensive and with additional recorder even more so) I don't think you will find much variation on what we have now --- full featured recorders that have extensive mixing/routing capabilities, and full featured mixing panels to which recording capability can be added.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I agree, Cantar is an amaizing machine, can be use it without mixer . Has very good preamps and limiters. But it`s alone on market . I like to chose, and I like much more a mixer with record capabilities instead a recorder whith rotative faders. 

Deva need a good mixer, cannot be use it alone. And if they can combine their Mix 12( by the way , how much cost?)  with recording parts from DEVA, why not?

Wich can be disadvantages of a "one box"? If broken  I have a Fostex PD 4 or 744 for backup, anyway, and anything can be fixed.

Sonosax pretend that their devices will cost bettwen 4300 and 11900 Euro. http://www.sonosax.com/SONOSAX%20NEWS%20satis.pdf

I`m curios too how they can, from a 17000 mixer and 4900 recorder ,can combine and result one box for about 10000 Euros?????

Fostex produce this kind of "all in one box" too (http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/digital/digital_multitrackers) , but it`s only entry level, like Edirol I think.

Sound Devices can combine 422 and 744 in one box , too, and I`m shure they`ll have succes.

Because market ask for that mixers whith record capabilities, for a new "NAGRA".

Dragos

The Deva V with MIX 12 is a different concept than that of any other combination. All mixing and effects are in the digital domain. This is a real advantage over analog mixers combined with external recorders. Once the audio is converted to digital by the Deva it is not ever in the analog domain. The Mix12 offers EQ, notch filters, delay and a soft knee compressor that are not matched in the analog domain.

Routing of all 16 inputs (8 analog and 8 digital) to all 10 disk tracks and 8 output channels pre or post fader is also unmatched by separate analog mixers.

Since all channels are digital the effects can be moved from channel to channel. All channels will act the same even after the unit is 10 years old as component aging will not affect channel performance.

The type of architecture should also be more reliable than other solutions because the mixing functionality is contained within a single chip not within a mixer that contains 1000s of discrete components.

Deva Mix12 with Deva is also very power efficient as the combination draws only 1.5 amps at 12VDC. The cost of this solution is also much lower than that of traditional analog mixers with separate recorders.

The internal 32 bit architecture has the advantage in that it can not clip internal to the mixer as the internal dynamic range is 192 dB

The challenge with this type of combination is the Mic pre and the A-D. The Deva mic pre is excellent and after that it is all 32 bit floating point math.

Glenn

Glenn wrote:

"Deva Mix12 with Deva is also very power efficient as the combination draws only 1.5 amps at 12VDC."

I must admit that when I saw this number, I was a little envious.  This is the one spec of this system that really cannot be touched by any other current system with similar capabilities.

-Darren

Well, I have been giving this combo a work out.  Just finished the first 2 weeks of of a 4 week show.  " wide and tight",  director changing everything at the last minute, 6 - 8 mic.'s up at any time.  Kid actors who are ad-libbing all the time.  A director who is yelling action right after telling the actors to change everything, and every time before the camera  has been even slated.....God help me.

This combo has been so easy to use.  Now, it's "frozen up " on me a few times, but once I make a major change, it never seems to freeze up again if I am making the same change again.  I have  hope it will "sort it self out".

You know, a lot of bang for the buck.  Also, my advice, never clean the screen with the deva on,

ha ha.

Coleman

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I am really loving the sound of this set up.  It’s

flawless.  As well as I never worry about having enough battery life for my system. 

That’s really a relief for me on set.  Now, the MX-12 only weighs like 8.5 LBS, so

my cart is a lot lighter right now.  More later.., Coleman

Coleman,

Does the Deva seem to freeze more so now that you have added the Mix-12?  While my own "freezing" experience has seldom caused more than a half second of head scratching on my part, I wonder if the Mix -12 places an extra computational load on the Deva that makes it (relatively) more prone to internal errors.  I also wonder what the benefit of a digital compressor is, or any digital effect for that matter?  Surely there are more effective ways of manipulating a digital signal in post.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Deva, ...just playing devil's advocate.  Hopefully Glenn will chime in too.

Thanks,

Travis