Video Transmitters

Jim Rillie

I would like to hijack the discussion called "The ladies always fall for me" in Images of Interest which has devolved to a discussion on transmitters.

Check out the Canatrans.

In my experience this is the best I've seen especially when the camera is on the move.

Let's expand this discussion to improving receivers, and what is now available in 12v powered receivers esp diversity.

Jim Rillie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tourtelot

Wolf Seeburg has a kick-ass little transmitter that operates on cable Ch. 57 which he calls his "spy-transmitter."  It's tiny (about 1" square minus the antenna) and blasts through anything else on the market.  It IS NOT tunable, but seems to work anywhere I tried it.  Be certain to get the one able to take 30VDC (as opposed to 12VDC).  Iaccidentally put mine on a Panavision and smoked it.  It is not repairable being potted in epoxy.  About $500 I think.

www.microcameras.com has some really interesting products in this regard. They have a 1W and 3W 2.4GHz digital video sender that run off 12VDC and are small enough to put on a steadicam. They also have a diversity reciever, totalling about $600. They also have hi-gain antennae for the reciever. Not that versed in video transmission, but this is what I've been dreaming about getting when the time is right.

Tom

Be careful with 2.4 GHz above 1 watt, continuous duty (as in an analog video transmitter).

Federal limits are 4 watts EIRP for the unlicensed stuff, which means the combination of radiated power produced collectively by the transmitter and antenna system, minus any losses in the system. 4w is approaching the power output of commercial ENG transmitters, which some say produce dangerous/harmful levels of microwave radiation.

I don't wear my tinfoil hat much these days, but I'd keep the antenna away from my/your head just the same!

-Eric

All right.  Don't laugh.  But, I found some el-cheapo transmitters on eBay that I'm quite pleased with.

They're cheaper than dirt and perform surprisingly well.  They have four tranmit/receive channels and cost less than thirty bucks including shipping and insurance.  They operate on 9-12 volts.  If you're in a situation where you can't use the included AC adapter, you can even tape a 9 volt battery to the top and power it from that.  However I haven't tried them long term on higher voltages such as 14+V. from lithiums.

When I need to be more mobile, I can give a transmitter (or several) to video assist and get my cart signal(s) from there.

They're not great for a really long range and I sometimes get a bit of dropout on set, but it still gives me what I need as far as helping the boom op find frame lines, etc.  I have several and for multiple camera shoots can easily have all the feeds wireless to the cart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-WIRELESS-Audio-Video-CCTV-TRANSMITTER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ130079404895QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, they're not for everybody, but for a super-inexpensive wireless link, they're surprisingly good.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

Indianapolis (Super Bowl Champions!)

All right.  Don't laugh.  But, I found some el-cheapo transmitters on eBay that I'm quite pleased with.

They're cheaper than dirt and perform surprisingly well.  They have four tranmit/receive channels and cost less than thirty bucks including shipping and insurance.  They operate on 9-12 volts.  If you're in a situation where you can't use the included AC adapter, you can even tape a 9 volt battery to the top and power it from that.  However I haven't tried them long term on higher voltages such as 14+V. from lithiums.

When I need to be more mobile, I can give a transmitter (or several) to video assist and get my cart signal(s) from there.

They're not great for a really long range and I sometimes get a bit of dropout on set, but it still gives me what I need as far as helping the boom op find frame lines, etc.  I have several and for multiple camera shoots can easily have all the feeds wireless to the cart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-WIRELESS-Audio-Video-CCTV-TRANSMITTER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ130079404895QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, they're not for everybody, but for a super-inexpensive wireless link, they're surprisingly good.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

If you like that, you'll love this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Long-Distance-1000M-2-4G-Wireless-Audio-Video-Sender_W0QQitemZ170077572840QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32840QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170077572840

Looks to be the same brand but with 1Watt goodness! For $50 I might just try one...

Guest Jeff Colon

Hello all,

I did a google search for 2.4 ghz video tx and came up with a bunch of results for products in the 50-200 dollar range.  The 30 dollar price for the airwave J.B. mentioned is a great deal... it generally sells for 50 GBP or so. 

A site for checking a sellers feedback on ebay can be found at

toolhaus.org

Jc

I have a 2,4GHz system whith 250mW power and has very bad reception. If somebody walk between antenas or move transmiter ( when is put on steadicam) lose signal. This is problems whith high frequency - works great whith free line of view between antenas or whith static transmiter and receiver.

I think 900  MHz works better but I don`t  saw  on work any of that. Anybody have one 900MHZ video transmitter to tell us if is better than 2,4 GHz?

Dragos

Phil,

Just use a standard barrel connector.  I'm not sure which size.  I just rummaged through my parts until I found some that fit fine.  You should be able to buy both the snap-on connector (for the 9v. battery) and the barrel connector (to plug into the transmitter) at your local Radio Shack.  The positive lead of the battery goes to the center of the barrel connector.

Let us know how they work for you.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a couple of these BADA 2.4GHz transmitters, one a 1W and the other a 2W planted at video village and they work very well. Much better than a modulus. The only drawback being that you need a receiver as well as the transmitter.

Ultimately I bought the 2 setups(xtr/rcvr) from 2 vendors and the total for the 2 was under $100. How cheap is that! Switching wall worts included.

Health-wise, I don't know what is safe exposure but I do place the transmitter towards the rear of the video rig to keep it away from those who live there. I don't know if I'd be OK w/ one 1 foot from my head like a camera op setup.

Scott Harber

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I said I would report back on how the cheapo Tx/Rx combo worked out for me when I used them.

I had them in use yesterday, and they worked fairly well.  John, I haven't made the 9V setup yet (and since I am essentially clueless when it comes to soldering and such, how much would you charge me to make one up for me? ;-)

I had a bit of flicker with them, but I was fairly far away from them (~50' or so) and didn't actually try to tune them using one of the other channels.  I will try that next time.

As far as setup - I connected to the output on the primary monitor, gaffer taped it to the top of the monitor, and plugged it in to the same power strip that the monitor was plugged into.  It just basically moved with the monitor and no one said anything (except for the crowd around the sound cart watching the action over my shoulder. ;-)  For the price, and in the low-budget world, they worked great.  3/5 stars (more may come after I try tuning to see if the flicker is always there).

Phil

If you can solder at all, it couldn't be much easier. 

Purchase a 9v. battery snap-on connector:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062219&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032058&categoryId=2032058&kwCatId=2032058&kw=battery+snap&parentPage=search

(A package of 5 is only $1.99.)

Also purchase a coaxial DC power plug:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103614&cp=2032058.2032231.2032284&parentPage=family

(This is just a sample of what the connector looks like, this may not be the correct size. I don't know the size off-hand, so just take one of the units with you to R.S. and find a connector that fits properly.) 

Then, solder the red lead from the snap-on connector to the center lead of the barrel connector and the black lead to the sleeve.  (Don't forget to put the screw-on handle portion over the wires before you solder them so you can screw the handle into place when you're done.  Make sure the wires don't short together when you screw on the handle.)

It's one of the easiest solder jobs you could do.

Your best bet is to do it yourself or find someone nearby that can solder.  If you can't, I could do some for you, but see if you can make it happen locally first.

Good luck.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.