How to "Bag" a Nomad

TomBoisseau

Has anyone given much thought as how to put a Zaxcom Nomad in a “bag”?

It appears that the XLR inputs are recessed on the “top” panel of the Nomad, which at first thought seems to make sense.  But if you think in terms of using it in say a Petrol bag, those inputs would not be easily accessible.  It would make more sense in this application if the inputs were on the bottom panel, then you could simply open the back flap on your Petrol bag to and make connections as needed.

Any thoughts on this?

Tom

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i was wondering this myself. maybe if you had the pegz1f where the mixer lived at the front part of the bag. however, with the length of most of my wireless rx cables it looks like it would have enough room, cable wise, for me to simple lift it out of the slot in my bag do what needed to be done.

Accessing the "top" of the unit for quick XLR changes is probably not required as the software routing should be flexible enough.

I imagine that patching in hardwire mics or board feeds would still be needed on the job and I hope Petrol makes something that works without ripping apart the bag to get at those inputs.

I'm still using my PD606 and enjoying it. The bag I'm using is a heavily modified PEGS3. The reason I bring this up is that to access the "top" control surface I have had to leave access above the mixer recorder. I've done this best by cutting off the front pouch on the Pegs3, turning it around and mounting the PD606 in backwards in the front most portion of the bag. This makes it easy to zip down the battery section and access all the controls. It also makes it way easier to access the side inputs.

I hope Petrol takes what we do seriously and creates some new bag designs to support our changing gear!

Good Luck

Eric

PS I'm glad that I'm only in the bag 15-20% of my working life!

• 2 months later...

Christian , there is short answer I got from Oleg for you

" Petrol do not intend to develop any bag for non existing products , for item which is in development by Zaxcom , we don't see any need in new design as any existing petrol bag except the 607 would work without any problem by making small exercise by opening 2 zippers from behind or fron t, to change any cable configuration by spoiled mixers.

We hope that Zaxcom will introduce short legs for it, to rise the recorder and give the cables freely go left or right under the mixer , and if not , we don't see it as a major problem .

Petrol do not design unique equipment begs but unique multiply gear solutions..

The only bag which we will introduce in near future will be excellent for many different recorders , mixers and your chiropractor bill .

Best wishes -

Petrol Audio bags development team "

Tomash B

I'd like to see Petrol design a new bag full stop. My pegz 2 doesn't fit anything well. It has had a SQN 4 series and now am SD552 but it's full of cushions, weird bits of velcro etc.. Awkward zips. I may be in the minority on this but I will consider a different manufacturer next time. I like that it is a bag as opposed to a vest such as the Portabrace but it is so awkward to configure in my opinion.

Maybe Zaxcom can bring out a Nomad bag?

Christian , there is short answer I got from Oleg for you

" Petrol do not intend to develop any bag for non existing products , for item which is in development by Zaxcom , we don't see any need in new design as any existing petrol bag except the 607 would work without any problem by making small exercise by opening 2 zippers from behind or fron t, to change any cable configuration by spoiled mixers.

We hope that Zaxcom will introduce short legs for it, to rise the recorder and give the cables freely go left or right under the mixer , and if not , we don't see it as a major problem .

Petrol do not design unique equipment begs but unique multiply gear solutions..

The only bag which we will introduce in near future will be excellent for many different recorders , mixers and your chiropractor bill .

Best wishes -

Petrol Audio bags development team "

Tomash B

thanks Tomash, and extend thanks to Oleg. Thing is, many bags (even by Petrol - I own their 302 bag) have been designed clearly with a special piece of equipment in mind, Sound Devices recorders for instance, and the Nomad does have a different layout than these, so I think it would be worth a nice special bag... anyway we know at least Petrol won't be making a special Nomad bag.

If Petrol made the same 602 or 603 bag but with a detachable front pouch, it would fit the bill ain't it ?

Maybe I'll think of modifying mine when I ge the Nomad (if it bothers me).

But, Tomeg, if Petrol goes this way, please just don't make it like the Portabrace bags which front pouches go sagged after a short time ...

There is no perfect bag. The Petrols are really much better than the Portabrace in my opinion, if a bit heavier. I've made special plastic supports to eliminate the pillows for my 442 and 211 wireless. Its still a work in progress but I'm getting closer to a good solution. I'll try to post pictures when I get it to where I want it. The only annoying thing to me is the padding and pillows need to support the gear, but there are many ways around it. I think the inputs on the Nomad could be easily accessed by unzipping the front of the PEGZ bags. I'm liking the idea of having the inputs in a place other than the sides of the mixer. It just get very congested unless you're using right angle xlrs.

My 2 cents.

Bernie

Originally I was thinking it would be easier to access the XLR plugs if they were on the bottom (basically flipping the unit), but then all the cables would have to run under the Nomad. That is if you use the traditional Mixer at your stomach and RXs farther out.

With my Fusion, I find that I use the XLR plugs when setting up the bag, but never in the field. It's all software routing. Knowing that, I like them being out of the way. That knocks down the width off the unit when fully rigged out. Nice for the run+gun world. I'm acutely aware of this having spending the last 4 months packed in the back of a car with a camera op.

Dont complain about bags. Just be thankfull we dont have to carry these any more.

I remember carrying a BVU-110 and a hand held 816 in the late 80's. The BP90 batts were so bad, you had to carry 1 in the machine, and at least 2 spares in the front pocket. Very heavy set up and an "umblical cord" to the camera just to make things worse!!!

Cheers

Peter Mega

PS I think this photo is from the mid 80's.

PSS. Thats not me BTW

post-1467-0-32045000-1309497910.jpg

• 4 months later...

Someone had already post this on the other topic about Nomad. post-2564-0-90517200-1319916259.jpg

Ok, I guess I don't know how to post pictures yet :blink: But just take a look on the other nomad discussion "Nomad -real world impresions". There's a picture by neilsoundstrong with the nomad in a ps601. That doesn't mean that other pictures are not welcome, quite the contrary...