How to "Bag" a Nomad

TomBoisseau

Dana-

It's my impression - and I do very little bag work so I could be mistaken - that it's not a good idea to allow the cases of adjacent receivers to touch in the bag. I expect that may have to do with the cases working as the ground plane for the respective antennas.

I mention this because it looks very much like your receivers are packed into the case back-to-back-and-belly-to-belly (as Harry Belafonte might say).

It probably wouldn't take much to achieve suitable isolation. A 2-inch strip of soft velcro on each receiver would probably keep them sufficiently apart. Or a piece of the padding available for kitchen drawers taped or Top-Stick mounted to each receiver would also work.

And, if I'm wrong about the advisability of avoiding receiver-receiver contact, would someone please correct me? Thanks.

David

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'm with David on the packing of RX's, but more because I like to get the antennae (sic) separated from each other, and I don't understand : " If you have 211 rx then you can stack them 90* from how they are here " although I would prefer them side to side in either case... and with 211 or 411 I would have one ant vertical and one horizontal on each RX, but that is the way I prefer it!

I'm using a PEGZ-2. I like the extra room - it makes cabling things easy and gives me the ability to see and easily operate the recorder in my TRX camera hop.

Hi Jack,

Isn't the recording feature of the TRX redundant since you have Nomad? I'm curious as to why you would roll both, or the TRX versus the Nomad.

Cheers,

Jase

Perhaps to record ISO's on the Nomad and a mix to the Trx? That way you don't use tracks for a mix (which is probably being sent to camera as well, therefore, the Trx recording would just be a backup anyway)

Hi Jack,

Isn't the recording feature of the TRX redundant since you have Nomad? I'm curious as to why you would roll both, or the TRX versus the Nomad.

Cheers,

Jase

The TRX is usually for transcription - its a two channel mix of what I am feeding the camera plus I get the cameras TC via the QRX IFB feature.

That's because they're not...

http://www.remoteaudio.com/antennas/

Yep

• 1 month later...

Just got my bag. It was made by the competent folks at Kortwich, Germany, and designed by my humble self.

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_4205.JPG

Very nice Christian, that looks pretty fitted. so how much did they charge you for this custom work?

And what rx are you gonna put in there? Please post some more pictures when it s gonna be all set up.

Cheers!

Dominique

Two or three SRas will go in the front pouch. Will post once I get them.

It was listed in their web store for 240 Euros if I recall it right. Since I was the first to order it and they didn't have a Nomad yet they made it according to my wishes. I suppose they'll sell these for that price now. Ask them! www.filmtontechnik.de

Two or three SRas will go in the front pouch. Will post once I get them.

It was listed in their web store for 240 Euros if I recall it right. Since I was the first to order it and they didn't have a Nomad yet they made it according to my wishes. I suppose they'll sell these for that price now. Ask them! www.filmtontechnik.de

That s a fair price, we re gonna have similar kits i guess. I too will put two sr s in there. What battery is that and what power distribution will u use? Looking forward to see your kit all set up. Th for sharing and merry christmas!

That s a fair price, we re gonna have similar kits i guess. I too will put two sr s in there. What battery is that and what power distribution will u use? Looking forward to see your kit all set up. Th for sharing and merry christmas!

Yes, and the quality of the bag is very good. Plus the zippers allow for quick access to the XLR ins without taking anything out of the bag. The battery is a LiIon NP1, on the bottom of the battery side pouch is a Hawk Woods NP1 cup with a Hirose cable to the Nomad and 3 Hirose jacks for the SRas and maybe a monitor. The battery cup stay in the pouch and I can quickly swap NP1s if needed. It's really quite a cool bag I daresay.

The NP1 looks like it could be a DSM 84Wh battery made in UK with Panasonic cells - I'm trying two of of these at the moment - very good price and capacity - and so far perform well. The 84Wh version is not on the website yet as they're relatively new I think, but the 65Wh's are -

http://www.dsmpower.tv/video-batteries/lithium-ion-np1.htm

• 1 month later...

I just got my new Nomad bag from Kortwich, the first one was too small so they kindly replaced it. The new one fits perfectly. I can only recommend this bag, it's 240 Euros and they will make it exactly as you want it. It's quite stiff, great quality fabric, just perfect for my needs.

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/280.html

As you can see, I could fit 6 SRas into the front bag if I wanted to. Zippers open the two parts of the bag quickly so I can change routing if need be. I wouldn't want to pull the whole story out of the bag just to plug a cable.

My NP1 sits vertically in one of the side bags on a Hawk Woods holder with 5 Hirose outputs (small hole on the bottom of the side bag to get the cables to the Nomad/RXs).

In the other side bag I keep a spare NP1. Oh, and the little hands are my son's. He loves the little lights and knobs. And the Nomad has survived his treatment, so yes, I guess it is robust enough.

bag1.JPG

bag2.JPG