Zaxcom/Denecke slate?

Splendid

As of right now, it is still being discussed and worked on. For now, an ERX can be velcro-ed to the back of the slate as you know to continuously feed the slate with running time code.

If you are using Zax-Net, you can get your slate upgraded via Denecke to allow the slate to understand the zaxnet information to view Scene and Take once you open the slate.

Thanks for the info, Tom.

Are there limits as to which slates can be so modified?

Thanks!

-- Jan

As of right now, it is still being discussed and worked on. For now, an ERX can be velcro-ed to the back of the slate as you know to continuously feed the slate with running time code.

If you are using Zax-Net, you can get your slate upgraded via Denecke to allow the slate to understand the zaxnet information to view Scene and Take once you open the slate.

Is the Scene and Slate info kind of displayed first  a few frames or a second let's say and then the TC and  when you close the sticks the userbits? Or how does it work? It would be nice if Charly from Denecke would chime in and explain with more detail, also if every Denecke Slate could be modified.

• 1 year later...

I was just talking to somebody about this earlier in the week, and wondering if it was still in the works. 

I have not tried it, but if you velcro an ERXTC to a Denecke, and have userbits click up per take, it would show that on the slate, right? Hardly Scene/Take, but it is something that could help on those narrative projects where the slate is often inaccurate. 

I like the idea of it because it would encourage somebody to let me know when they change lenses etc. 

Just off the top of my head, the current Denecke slates can not display characters that the Zaxcom system can. I do not mean this as a dig! It's a fact. The red LED characters can get super bright and that's why they work in a dark room as well as bright sunlight. There is a trade-off, but for a slate the numbers are the important part. The Denecke LED displays make letters/numbers based on the "LED 8". I've done narrative work where I know post isn't paying attention to my userbits, so we goof around making messages that pop up for a second when you clap the sicks. It's sometimes hard to understand, and you only have the 8 characters. The Deva/Nomad (as well as the SD recorders) allows you to name a scene "AramingoDingo" but that would never work on a slate. This applies to a lot of the work we do. On narrative films a scene may be 27b, but on, for example, on some reality shows the scene name is the group (or location) you are filming with. I've also done a lot of 5d interviews with the TC slate where the scene is the name of the person we are interviewing. 

I have a feeling we will (eventually?) see a hybrid slate that's the traditional LED numbers, with something *like* an iPad mini (or Android tablet) glued to it, running Movie Slate. really that's something you could make today. Literally velcro a tablet to a smart slate and feed it TC from the slate's output. Maybe something like Movie Slate running on it and/or something that can sync by Zaxnet. 

I have a feeling we will (eventually?) see a hybrid slate that's the traditional LED numbers, with something *like* an iPad mini (or Android tablet) glued to it, running Movie Slate. really that's something you could make today. Literally velcro a tablet to a smart slate and feed it TC from the slate's output. Maybe something like Movie Slate running on it and/or something that can sync by Zaxnet. 

It sounds like a good idea until someone drops your $xxxx slate.

My Denecke TS-C took a hard fall from a 6' ladder to a concrete floor and suffered only a small dent in one corner.

Mark O.

It sounds like a good idea until someone drops your $xxxx slate.

My Denecke TS-C took a hard fall from a 6' ladder to a concrete floor and suffered only a small dent in one corner.

Mark O.

Oh definitely! I don't know what kind of drop damages a Denecke slate requiring it to go back for service, but I have seen things happen to mine that would destroy a tablet. I don't discount their durability, and realistically that would have to be matched for a tablet-slate to be a serious piece of production kit. You also can't overlook the fact that their battery life is measured in days. Last thing you want is the slate running out of juice at hour 13. well, maybe part of you would want that, but it's not good. 

I did have issues with the rotary switch later that year and sent it in for repair. Of all the parts in that slate that could have had issues...

Battery life, yeah. I ran mine for 3.5 production days on Imedion 2400mAh AAs last week. Battery level stayed at 7.6V the whole time, even with the backlight on periodically.

Imagine if a Denecke slate was just another Zaxnet device. What's the battery level? What TC rate is it set to? Is it jammed? All taken care of with Zaxnet! Just power it on and everything can be set from your Zaxnet controller (Nomad, IFB100, etc).

Mark O.

They don't need to limit themselves to SMPTE specs. It can display tc in spec and other info out of spec.

Being Denecke, they could help establish a new spec for sync, going beyond just linear tc and tying in features of Genlock or Shutter Sync. It's like that company that makes custom slates and systems for big budget 3D movies. It wouldn't interrupt the current tc workflows, while still pushing what sync can do with our modern technologies.

Mark O.

" current Denecke slates can not display characters that the Zaxcom system can. "

I believe that Denecke slates display all of the information and characters in the SMPTE specifications.

right, but iirc there was talk of this cooperative slate project displaying scene and take (metadata) in addition to the standard info. That's where I meant the current display would need a change. Then again, even just a Zaxnet receiver built-in to auto-jam would be great. 

I was just talking to somebody about this earlier in the week, and wondering if it was still in the works. 

I have not tried it, but if you velcro an ERXTC to a Denecke, and have userbits click up per take, it would show that on the slate, right? Hardly Scene/Take, but it is something that could help on those narrative projects where the slate is often inaccurate. 

I did this on a behind the scenes for a photo shoot.  5D shoot, very small crew.  I kept my TSC plugged in to my Nomad and set to read.  Had User bits set to increment.  The person who was going to sync it up was there so I just explained it to him what the numbers meant.  At the clap it would show the date on the first 6 digits and the last 2 would be the segment number.  It worked great as tey would start and stop alot and I would just continue recording for a while.