Zaxcom camera hop reciever battery life

RadoStefanov

I just started a 30 day reality shoot and have been amazed how well the Zaxcom wireless hop performs. "I am very happy with smqv Tx and the absolute convenience of using SR"

But back on the point...

Running along side 28 smqvs lectros, the Zaxcom is really impressive.

The only complaint I have is the battery life of the RX900.

Using energizer lithiums I got about 1:30minutes today.

That can not be right.

I've been forced to use my RX900S with dinky cams a few times and using energizer lithium AA, I have had between 4 - 5 hours no problems. I changed the batts after that just because I started to worry.

Is your unit in power save mode?

You should get more than 1.5hrs.

Cheers

Peter Mega

The only complaint I have is the battery life of the RX900.

Using energizer lithiums I got about 1:30minutes today.

That can not be right.

Why don't you use the 12 V DC power out (usually a small hirose connector, 0.5A) in the back of the camera?

IDX (and others) also manufactures a v-lock plate that can be placed between battery and camera and it gives an extra D-TAP power connector.

Our sound mixers (using either Lectro or Zaxcom receivers for cam hop) always connect the receiver to the cam power out and don't have to worry about battery life ever again. ;)

Does EX3 have one?

Why don't you use the 12 V DC power out (usually a small hirose connector, 0.5A) in the back of the camera?

IDX (and others) also manufactures a v-lock plate that can be placed between battery and camera and it gives an extra D-TAP power connector.

Our sound mixers (using either Lectro or Zaxcom receivers for cam hop) always connect the receiver to the cam power out and don't have to worry about battery life ever again. ;)

Does EX3 have one?

No it doesn't other option Rado is to get a Np1 cup for each zaxcom and put it in a Fanny pack with the Zaxcom then you could run all day without worrying I have done this before with great success These are the lightest Np1 as well 0.86lbs. It all fits nicely in a small pack

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/389033-REG/IDX_NP_L7_NP_L7_NP_1_Style_Lithium_Ion.html

EX-3 has no external power plug, and often no good way to mount a RX. The jobs I have done with them are ones where the camera op wears a pouch holding the RX.

I got a little Li-po rechargeable battery pack that I can velcro to the RX900 and almost get a whole day. My power estimates were a little off, but a pack lasts at least 10 hours. It's a lot smaller than a NP-1 and fits in the PortaBrace RX pouch I hand the camera op.

I got a little Li-po rechargeable battery pack that I can velcro to the RX900 and almost get a whole day. My power estimates were a little off, but a pack lasts at least 10 hours. It's a lot smaller than a NP-1 and fits in the PortaBrace RX pouch I hand the camera op.

Johnpaul

For cameras with out a DC out I use a modified eagle creek pouch that I sowed a belt to.  It carries my RX 900 and a NP1.  I keep thinking about getting a smaller battery pack so I am interested in what battery pack you are using.

Andy

I'm using a PortaBrace RM185 pouch http://www.portabrace.com/productB-RM-185

It has a belt loop, and the extra pouch is big enough to easily hold the battery.

I'm pretty sure this is the battery: Tenergy Li-Ion 18650 14.8V 2600mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery Pack w/ 22AWG Bare Leads

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650148v2600mahrechargeablebatterypackpcbprotectionwith22awgbareleads.aspx

I have to double check when I'm back at work, but I think that's the battery. I wish it was slightly higher capacity. If I remember right, I get about 10 hours with my RX900S. I have two, so I can change them at lunch and be fine.

I'm using a PortaBrace RM185 pouch http://www.portabrace.com/productB-RM-185

It has a belt loop, and the extra pouch is big enough to easily hold the battery.

In my previous post I said that the bag that I used for my RX900 and NP1 is an eagle creek bag but it's actually a Campinn Bag. http://www.campinn.com/mesh-pocket.html  I chose this bag because it was the only bag I could find that had a mesh breathable side.  The RX900 will eventually overheat and shut off if you put them in an unventilated bag on a hot day.  That is why I went to the extra trouble to buy a meshed bag and have a belt sown on.

Andy

EX-3 has no external power plug, and often no good way to mount a RX. The jobs I have done with them are ones where the camera op wears a pouch holding the RX.

I have used this gizmo or another one similar to this one to power receivers.  it has a dtap and hirose on it.  If the camera operator is using the ex3 with a serious lens on it,  they will welcome the counter balance.  That's how I have sold it in the past.

https://www.vfgadgets.com/mobile/home.asp?#page-19

A compromise would be the swit battery with the dtap on it. 

http://www.armatosvideo.com/swits-8u62pmw-ex1pmw-ex3.aspx

ao

The 900S definitely chews through any alkaline, rechargeable, even lithium batteries. I power mine off a NP1 with a cup. It lasts all day long without ever needing a new battery.

I also usually use a NP1 and can easily get a days use out of it and often two days.  When I do power internally I have gotten 4-5 hours with lithium and around 3 hours with rechargeables.

Andy

Hey John Paul

I have been thinking about using LiPo packs as they are cheap and I have a bunch lying around for model aeroplanes anyways. How many cells and what MAh are you using to power the Zax Rx?

I am using a 4S 5200mah Turnigy LiPo to power my whole bag. It's smaller and lighter than an np-1, and lasts me nearly 2 days without needing a recharge. A little OT but kind of not. You could use a 3S LiPo to power the QRX or RS900. Nominal voltage is 11.1V, range is from 12.6 to 9.0 (you cannot go under this level under load)