Doritos Super Bowl Commercial

John Blankenship

Hi all,

You may have caught some of the publicity surrounding the Doritos "Crash The Super Bowl" contest.  Anyone who wanted could shoot a commercial (actually up to 10 spots) and submit it -- with the winner to be aired on the Super Bowl.

Some filmmaking friends of mine who I've worked with before decided to make and submit two commercials.  I helped out by doing both the location sound and all the sound post on both of them.  We shot on Super-16 (yes, film).

Out of well over a thousand entries, BOTH of our submissions made the top eight!  Then, one of them made the top five.  The top five were all awarded with $10,000 and a trip to a Super Bowl party in Miami.  During the game we will find out who won.

Our top-5 contender is titled:  "Duct Tape"

Our top-8 runner-up is titled:  "Ultimatum"

You can see the five finalists at:

http://promotions.yahoo.com/doritos/

To see (and hear) a better quality version of the two we submitted, go to:

http://www.transitfilms.com/doritos/

So, this Sunday I'll be rooting for two teams, our Colts, and our commercial.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

Indianapolis!

Guest Jeff Colon

Hi John,

At least you didn't take that gig in Goshen ;-0.... 

Good luck to you and the Colts...  All of New Orleans wants this one for Archie and Peyton.

Best,

Jeff c

Thanks for the great comments everyone.

It's funny how tastes differ.  My fave of the other four is "Check Out Girl" and my least favorite is "Mouse Trap."  OTOH, a couple of days ago ABC evening news ran a story on the contest and said that the Mouse is the odds-on favorite.

It's funny about odds.  I was in Vegas a year ago December and the line on the Colts WINNING the Super Bowl last year paid LESS than even money.  The regular season hadn't even finished yet.  Of course, that was before we crashed and burned at the start of the playoffs.

It's a whole new year!

Go Colts!

John B.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on two as well, and one made the final 5. The one I did sound editing on was "mousetrap". Bummed it didn't win. I thought that the duct tape one and the one I worked on were the best two, but we both lost out.

I'm glad the colts won, even though I was hoping the bears would. I really like both teams, but the Bears' offense looked like a high school team.

-Dave

Dave,

Congrats on also making the finals!

Doritos is going to be airing the top five for the next couple of months.  The air dates I have been given so far are:

Week of 2/19, Network: Adult Swim and G4

Weeks of 2/26, 3/5 and 3/12, Network: Adult Swim, G4, MTV and Comedy Central

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

Indianapolis (Super Bowl Champions!)

Oh wow, I didn't know they would see the light of day. That's good. I wonder why they showed the checkout girl commercial as well. when I saw that, I thought that maybe they would air all of them, but they didn't. I didn't get paid much for the two that i did, maybe the mousetrap guys could toss some of the 10 grand my way. Either way, I'm proud to have something that I worked on make it to the finals for that, and then get some good airplay. I've missed all the other TV stuff I've done (fear factor, hell's kitchen), but now I'm eyeball deep in video game sound editing, which is a blast.

Everyone go grab a copy of Gears of War for your XBOX360. I cut all the dialogue for that game. If you don't have an XBOX360, go get one. You can write it off on your taxes.

And yeah, congrats to the colts! They really deserved it. One of our dialogue recordists here used to be a cheerleader for the vikings when Tony Dungee was the offensive coordinator there. He said Tony was the coolest guy. Was always very nice to everyone and treated everyone with respect..AND he never yells. that's unheard of in the NFL.

-Dave

As I got the story, here's the reason they aired the additional Doritos commercial:

Sometime prior to the Super Bowl they had a large company meeting where they unveiled all the spots that would be airing for PepsiCo's products (as you probabaly know, Frito-Lay is a division of PepsiCo).  They also aired the five Doritos finalists.  One of their other products had a couple of commercials scheduled for airing.  The five Doritos finalists got such a huge response -- and the top two were so close together in votes -- that the company decided to pull one of the other commercials and air a second Doritos spot instead.

The official release is at:

http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/cgi-bin/ProdDetEv_Cat_304_NavRoot_303_ProdID_544013.htm

With the Colts, the story is that when Coach Dungy first addressed the team he said in his usual calm tones, "Do you hear how loud I'm speaking to you now?  This is the loudest I'll ever get."  (Or something to that effect.)  A class act. 

IIRC, you told me a couple of years ago that you're a long time Colts fan, so congrats to both of us.

John Blankenship, C.A.S.

Indianapolis (Super Bowl Champions!)