Sela-2880-BT mixer

Bob Marts

Beautiful! While helping me load my equipment for a job a young fairly inexperienced utility person saw one of my old Sela Mixers and asked me what it was. I said it was the mixing panel and he wondered what the big knobs do --- I told him they were the rotary faders. He then asked, why only 4 --- what did you do if you had 6 wireless working? He just didn't get it, the technology of the time, the methods of work, etc.

Ah! Memories! I had the 2880 in the 1970's,which I replaced in the early '80's with this 2880-BTS, seen here with my venerable Nagra 4S in its updated TC specification,which was done for me by an ex-studios maintenance engineer.The same chap modded the Sela with an internal battery and charger circuit, using the Nagra ATN to provide charging or external power. This freed it from being 'tied' to a Nagra, and allowed me to continue using it when I moved to HHB Portadat recorders. It was a useful rig for insert car work and difficult locations and served me well until I moved to a DevaII  around 2000.

Interestingly, I see Scott Smith uses the Sela/Nagra combo for his avatar - those were the days when we had no alternative but to mix to a single track!

Mutt 'n Jeff

post-66-130815095502_thumb.jpg

Hanging on to these colorful old mixers and Nagras remind me of the classic car collector who occasionally pulls the cover off of a foreign sports car in his garage, admires it for a few minutes then covers it back up until the next urge to see it comes along.

I haven't even seen my Sela for years until a few days ago. Glad I kept it though.

Love the pictures! Anyone know how well the Nagra VI has in terms of market penetration vs the Zaxcom and Sound Devices in Film Production? Just Curious..

Someone fell asleep in Nagra headquarters when the world went digital.  I don't know anyone that uses a Nara product now.  The only way they'll catch up is if they build a recorder that's twice as good and 1/2 as expensive as their competition.  The King is dead.

Someone fell asleep in Nagra headquarters when the world went digital.  I don't know anyone that uses a Nara product now.  The only way they'll catch up is if they build a recorder that's twice as good and 1/2 as expensive as their competition.  The King is dead.

What?  have you seen the Nagra VI?  It is a wonderful machine!  Lots of people use them, Coffey/LSC/Trew/ASC etc all sell them.

phil p

I liked those BTs a lot.  As you can see, I keep the flame alive w/ my PSC M6.  I liked and still like how compact the whole recorder+mixer setup can be with that "sit-upon " design.  The M6 still sounds great, and I plan to have it further modded later this year.

phil p

Just recently I have been somewhat successful in replicating the old Nagra - Sela combination using the Cooper 306 I purchased from Joe Foglia. I used this rig many times for insert car work on the last job and it was pretty sweet.

post-1-130815095543_thumb.jpg

Just recently I have been somewhat successful in replicating the old Nagra - Sela combination using the Cooper 306 I purchased from Joe Foglia. I used this rig many times for insert car work on the last job and it was pretty sweet.

Great rig, Jeff.  If it was me I'd use that setup all the time!

phil p

• 3 weeks later...

I remember stopping by NY mixer Gary Richs apartment and he had a picture of a Sela/nagra rig that he hung around his neck.  I laughed when i saw it but he was serious about that rig, he swore by it at the time.

I bought mine from Manny at cine sound 5 in N Hollywood.  I was very proud to have what i called my "playschool" mixer.  I had LSC put pan pots in it and i was in business.

I wish i still had it.