Wiring of cable for DC Powering of Cambridge Soundworks System 12

Hey everyone,

This is actually more of a question for Jeff, but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else knew the answer, or would be curious about doing this in the future.

In this post, Jeff was talking about how he hooked up the amp section of his Cambridge Soundworks System 12 to his DC distro on his cart.  I recently purchased a used system 12, and I was going to wire up a cable this evening to interface with my PSC Power Station.  However, I was concerned that I might be risking blowing out the amp hooking it up directly.  Is there anything else I need to do besides wire up a 12v cable with a XLR4M on one end and the appropriate DC connector on the other?

Thanks in advance,

e.

That's all there is to it, minding that you get the polarity correct for the Cambridge Soundworks System 12 amp. I have since abandoned that amp in favor of a simple mono amp I built from a Q-Kit circuit board. I have shed the weight of the Cambridge amp but also obviously lost a lot of the functions, multiple inputs, etc.

Awesome, thanks Jeff.

I always assumed you needed some sort of regulator so the devices don't get overloaded, but I'm guessing the amp has this kind of protection built in?  I'm pretty new to DC powering from SLA batteries, but I guess its just a big NP1 running into a giant BDS!?!

e.

Awesome, thanks Jeff.

I always assumed you needed some sort of regulator so the devices don't get overloaded, but I'm guessing the amp has this kind of protection built in?

I never ran into any trouble powering the amp with a nominal 12 vdc (cart power) which because of the cart power supply/battery setup I have built, the voltage can vary between a high of 13.5 and a low of about 10.5. The power supplies in most devices (like the amp) will operate safely within a certain range of voltage. I am guessing the Cambridge Soundworks amp is this way, It was designed, after all, to be powered from a sealed lead acid battery that fully charged could be as high as 13 vdc and then on the low end --- well, the amp will just quit when the supply voltage is too low.