High-Pass Filters

Alex Mitchell

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on some of the ways that you use your high-pass filters? Some people that I have talked to say that they never turn theirs off, while others have said that they never really use them so I never really know what to think. Here's what I think I know about them so far:

- If I'm using a filtration I should always do it as close to the source as possible. Filtering in the mixer is better than post, and filtering on the mic itself is better than on the mixer.

- Don't combine high-pass filters on the mics, mixer, or post.

- Use if you're hearing handling noise from the pole, wind noise that your windscreen can't stop, or other low-frequency background noise from the environment.

- The human voice has a low-end range of around 80Hz, so filtering around or below there doesn't effect dialogue too much.

Am I totally off? Is there anything super important I'm forgetting?

As someone once said....Just Do it !

Its a necessary thing in post on many occasions when there's too much low end in the dialog......70 hz is a good number to cut below. Intelligibility is improved by a cleaner bottom end.

BVS

I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on some of the ways that you use your high-pass filters? Some people that I have talked to say that they never turn theirs off, while others have said that they never really use them so I never really know what to think.

--- snip ---

Am I totally off? Is there anything super important I'm forgetting?

You have pretty much nailed it with your thoughts on this. I would add that if you find that you are having to use more high pass and low freq. eq. to deal with handling noise, in keeping with your statement that you should go at the problem as close to the source as possible, check into the shockmount, the boom pole (and even the "handler") before trying to solve the problem with EQ. As for my own practice, I have both stages of High Pass on my Cooper mixer IN at all times for dialog recording --- this has been my procedure with the Cooper since first acquiring a Cooper mixer in the 1980's.