First amendment issue... (:

studiomprd

And curious, did you choose to ignore him?  It is a feature built into the forum I believe - haven't tried it myself.  I like to make a parallel to a public space... if someone was being obnoxious in the room you are in, would you move to another room or would you throw him out the window?  (or just filter him out completely like internet forums allow).  If you decide to throw him out, then you are setting a standard of exclusivity in the space - which may be justified, if one feels JW sound is a private club.  I certainly don't feel it is a "completely open public" general interest internet forum, but on the other hand, it's not a "member's only" type of thing either.  I don't say that my opinion is more valid than anyone else's, I'm just stating my opinion.

It is obviously justified to throw out people who throw slurs based on race, religion, sexual orientation, so how does "anti-hollywood" and "people who have enough money to buy professional equipment and don't appreciate Zoom recorders" fit into this context?  I think some of it is overreaction / sensitivity, and some of it is probably a bit of a gray area.

Thank you Tom.

You've said it the way I was trying to.

from Tom Visser:

"I like to make a parallel to a public space... if someone was being obnoxious in the room you are in, would you move to another room or would you throw him out the window?"

If the "room" that I was in there was a meeting going on with a bunch of friends and fellow workers and one person in the room was insulting everyone and making it impossible to continue the meeting in a civil manner, yes, I would want that person to be thrown out. This forum is NOT Pershing Square or the Free Speech platform at Berkeley, so your analogy doesn't work for me.

"If you decide to throw him out, then you are setting a standard of exclusivity in the space - which may be justified, if one feels JW sound is a private club.  I certainly don't feel it is a "completely open public" general interest internet forum, but on the other hand, it's not a "member's only" type of thing either."

It actually is a lot more like a member's only type of group than an open public forum. When someone signs up (applies to become a member) I personally approve or reject that membership. Oleg was approved, of course, just as you were Tom. This forum is NOT open to the general public to come on here and do as they please.

"It is obviously justified to throw out people who throw slurs based on race, religion, sexual orientation, so how does "anti-hollywood" and "people who have enough money to buy professional equipment and don't appreciate Zoom recorders" fit into this context?  I think some of it is overreaction / sensitivity, and some of it is probably a bit of a gray area."

Nothing gray about it --- he was chronically abusive and disruptive to many members of this group, regardless of their race, religion or their relative love or hate for "Hollywood". Most people have told me that I UNDER-reacted, not overreacted.

I'm sure all who miss oleg can join his discussion group and enjoy his brand of communication. Oh yea, he doesn't have one that I know of. Maybe send him a request to start one. Or start one yourself. The more the merrier out there in the www. I think this thread has more than run it course. At least for me it has. Cheers as RVD says.

CrewC

Jeff,

Your castle.  Your rules. 

I think you handled everything with incredible grace by allowing plenty of time for Oleg to respond appropriately.  No one changes instantly, and the fact you patiently gave him the opportunity to do the right thing time after time speaks highly of you as a leader. This forum constitutes more than just knowledge; it helps set the bar for all of us to be professional, and not just in the sense that this is how we earn our living.  Being professional constitutes personal maturity in the way we respond to and treat others.

There is a big difference between punishment and discipline. Punishment is always carried out in anger while discipline is carried out in the best interest of the offending party at heart.  Oleg is not being punished by your actions.  Everything indicates that you acted in his best interest. 

In the end--at some point down the road--when all is said and done, the person who should appreciate this the most is Oleg himself.

For the record I agree 100% with Jeff and am glad he has the means to control this site. I do like the term potty mouth though, I think I suffer from that a little myself, just not online...

Regards,

Chris.

just to support JW's action, I'll note that the same individual continues to push the envelope on the Lectrosonics forum, taking shots at Lectrosonics' dealers

" no you are not  morron , usially these are who sell you the stuff, or one which might reply you later  "

and he still follows jwsound: " Senator  i see you  didn't reply on this group , let"s make it  permanent :-)

And  make me a favwor ,when you do  quote me , please quote the whale line :-) "

He doesn't get it...