CF card brand

Michael P Clark

Hi,

I'm using a SanDisk UIltra II 2 Gb in my 702T sourced from ebay (hong kong co.)

I've actually had a cheaper RiDATA 4 Gb card scramble files on me and am now skeptical as to it's reliability.

I was rolling a cheap HDD (nomad Jukebox) back-up off my mixer's 2nd outputs so I wasn't completely screwed.

No problems with the SanDisk, I've been re-formatting in the 702T each morning (once copying the files to 3 seperate media on wrap).

cheers

Ian

Guest Jeff Colon

Hello,

I find the sandisk ultra to be reliable and now quite affordable... saw a 4gig for 160$ the other day  The last 2gig for 45$ shipped, I bought on ebay was advertised as "NEW" and was delivered as a refurb... Ebay is such a p.i.a. if you have a dispute and and I needed it within the month...used it once in the 744, and now it's in my coolpix; otherwise it would have gone back... there are also many storys of counterfiet CF cards... the sandisks should have a hologram, which the bogus ones will not.

Ian, are you re-formatting the hard drive or just the cf ?... maybe something for another thread but I usually only reformat the hd in between jobs. whats best?

jeff C

Jeff, I wish I had the problem of deciding whether to re-format the internal HDD or not, but unfortunately I could only afford a 702T (CF only) so the problem has been solved for me.

before re-formatting the CF I copy the files to my main computer, burn a disk for handing in to production, and copy the files from CF to a stand alone external HDD (one of those photo HDD that has a built in card reader)

you bring up an interesting point about the fake-CF cards, in fact taking a look at my sandisk, I can't find a hologram spot, but the words "sandisk ULTRA" are reflective like a hologram, and the packing it came in are either VERY good fakes, or real.

anyhoo I'm happy and have had zero problems with the sandisk, I'm sure others will chime in with any reports good or bad about the other brands, Kingston, etc

cheers

Ian

I've been using a Kingston 4GB Hi-Speed Elite Pro in my HD-P2 for a few months, it's been great. The Tascam's media checking function checks out as OK across the board. I've certainly not had any problems with it, and it's got good access times.

It was £60GBP when I got it, but CF is dropping in price drastically, and it's now almost £20GBP cheaper.

Steve