FCC License

Jeff Wexler

" any language in my license that says I am "2nd fiddle" to anything, except "

the language you are looking for is "auxiliary

and that is a significant "except"...

" Can I somehow use this as motivation for LA producers to send us call sheets before Midnight East Coast Time? "

sure... tell "them" you need the info to put in your wireless reservation, and see if that helps...

" Somehow I don't think the producers will be too thrilled about giving away the secrets."

their choice to make... (our problems to deal with..??) such registration is not manditory...

" Can anyone from the general public view the database with new assignments? "

no matter the current state, that could change, as it is public information...

" Do you all actually spend the time registering your wireless use for each project? "

while it may not yet be very important, it is a fine habit to get into ASAP.

Edited by studiomprd

Holy Moly.... for films/shows that bounce around and possibly have a few company moves in a day..... ugh. This is going to add a lot of work for *somebody*.

There are also a lot of shows that can't do this. For example law enforcement shows. When I worked on Animal Cops, we could go all over the city (or state) depending on what looked interesting that day. It wasn't even like COPS where you usually know what precinct you should be staying in. If we did know we were going somewhere in advance, it was a search warrant / raid, so obviously we are not going to register wireless mics in play with the location.

Holy Moly.... for films/shows that bounce around and possibly have a few company moves in a day..... ugh. This is going to add a lot of work for *somebody*.

There are also a lot of shows that can't do this. For example law enforcement shows. When I worked on Animal Cops, we could go all over the city (or state) depending on what looked interesting that day. It wasn't even like COPS where you usually know what precinct you should be staying in. If we did know we were going somewhere in advance, it was a search warrant / raid, so obviously we are not going to register wireless mics in play with the location.

The joke is that you can define the geographic area of your registration is you know the coordinates.

phil p

Yea, but if you are with a State Patrol for a show like JohnPaul mentions? Oof - I hereby designate the coordinates for ALL of Georgia... I wonder how the database would react to that, since you legitimately COULD be anywhere in that?

For the reality tv types, we might still be stuck with what we are doing now: Arrive, unpack, scan, hope and pray.

Yea, but if you are with a State Patrol for a show like JohnPaul mentions? Oof - I hereby designate the coordinates for ALL of Georgia... I wonder how the database would react to that, since you legitimately COULD be anywhere in that?

For the reality tv types, we might still be stuck with what we are doing now: Arrive, unpack, scan, hope and pray.

All of the above, and register what locations you know

phil p

All of the above, and register what locations you know

phil p

More the exception than the rule, but there were a few times I showed up at work and after looking over the calls for the day we immediately jumped in the car to drive over 100 miles to a small coal town in the middle of PA. Anyone that has worked with law enforcement knows that you do not make them wait for the TV crew.

Otherwise I would be claiming the Philadelphia region for a year at a time. We would follow the story. If we were out with an officer and something crazy happened elsewhere in the city, we would get picked up and head over there.

Last year I did a show that was kind of a spin-off with the very small undercover unit. They would go anywhere in the city, and surrounding areas if necessary. It was typical to check up on spots all over the city and do some surveillance. If conditions were not great, we would just bounce to the next spot. I spent 24 weeks doing that.

I'm not whining, I am just pointing out that the law doesn't take our type of work into consideration. Heck, the same goes for the local NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox affiliate. Almost all of those camera ops all have Lectrosonics SR RXs on their cameras for the handheld mic (and lav?). They go where the news is. I know most of them are on the same block as me, but there is no way they are checking a website if they happen to be near my location. When I did Animal Cops, and Philly Undercover and the story was big, the local new reporters showed up.

I asked at Spectrum Bridge about whether or not the LPA protected entity registrations are public. They are (under the name of the owner of the license) if you know where to look.

>>Thank you for your inquiry. The FCC white spaces rules require us to make publicly available specific registration data, see §15.713(h)(8) for low power auxiliary registrations. We publish this and other public data on a daily basis here:

ftp://ftp.tvws.spectrumbridge.com/Database/

Additionally, we are required to share all registration data with other database providers to ensure consistent protection.<<

phil p

• 3 weeks later...

My non-commercial FM broadcasting license (from 1992) never had an expiration date, though maybe 10 or 15 years ago they just stopped licensing non-commercial broadcast engineers. Offhand till the late 80s they didn't have a separate designation for non-commercial license. The upside of the non-commercial designation was that you didn't have to pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...

The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Tacitus (100 AD)

And yet... The ones fighting the hardest for the removal of regulation and oversight are the largest corporations and money traders. Gee, I wonder who is actually the more corrupt?

Tacitus never could have conceived of the likes of AT&T / Verizon / JP Morgan Chase, or that quote might read a little differently.

The sole motivation of corporations is wealth acquisition. Anyone who suggests otherwise, that there is ANY form of "moral" corporation is lying to you, or a moron. At least in the case of a democratic government, the care of those least-able to care for themselves can be attempted for a time... Until the avaricious forces press back to reclaim the lucre that was "stolen" (taxed) from their coffers.

Laws do not create corruption, however the absence of them WILL in all cases create anarchy, because we are a sinful and greedy lifeform.

We're here from the Federal Government and we are here to help. All this just costs more money. The Byzantine Empire used this model.

From Bill Buckler The Privateer

An American celebrating his or her 100th birthday this year - and quite a few will be - was born at a time when the TOTAL debt of the US Treasury was $US 2.8 Billion. In fiscal 2012, the US Treasury borrowed that amount in about 19 hours. An American celebrating his or her 50th birthday was born at a time when the funded debt of the US Treasury was $US 300 Billion. In fiscal 2012, the Treasury borrowed that amount in less than three months. An American celebrating his or her 12th birthday today was born at the beginning of the 21st century. That person doesn't have much to celebrate, given the fact that almost two thirds (65 percent) of the total funded debt of the US Treasury has been amassed in their lifetime.

Would anyone like to share their tales of successfully completing form 601 + schedules D and H without $100 assistance from the sage Bill Ruck? Would be so interesting to hear stories of 'here's what I did right.' Or, 'here's what I did wrong.'

Years ago when I got my HAM license I recall some tricky language...but this app seems geared a bit more towards lawyers or Srgtfury.

I can slightly rationalize $145 for the license but $245 doesn't seem justifiable whilst I need to fund a new power system.