FCC License

Jeff Wexler

"when someone asks you about sound, do you explain to them how to just do it themself, or do you suggest hiring a professional ??"

It depends :)

I'm an open-source information kinda person. If it's a friend or someone I get a good impression of, I'll suggest a professional unless there's zero budget, in which case I'll give a decent explanation on how to probably capture some decent sound on something easy. Not interested in making money off of someone that just needs very basic knowledge to achieve a simple goal...nor am I interested in anyone making money off of me under the same situation.

If the FCC had framed form 601 in English instead of Legalese there wouldn't likely be a thread on the subject. But I doubt anyone would have the slightest problem sharing info about it especially since the more of us get this license the more we can legally crowd out white devices.

Not sure why this seems to have an air of secrecy about it.

KG6NMB

"when someone asks you about sound, do you explain to them how to just do it themself, or do you suggest hiring a professional ??"

It depends :)

I'm an open-source information kinda person. If it's a friend or someone I get a good impression of, I'll suggest a professional unless there's zero budget, in which case I'll give a decent explanation on how to probably capture some decent sound on something easy. Not interested in making money off of someone that just needs very basic knowledge to achieve a simple goal...nor am I interested in anyone making money off of me under the same situation.

If the FCC had framed form 601 in English instead of Legalese there wouldn't likely be a thread on the subject. But I doubt anyone would have the slightest problem sharing info about it especially since the more of us get this license the more we can legally crowd out white devices.

Not sure why this seems to have an air of secrecy about it.

KG6NMB

I don't think it's secret, it's just a pain in the ass. I'm sure that you can do it yourself if you pay attention, patient and are persistent about getting your questions answered. I hired Bill because I was lazy, basically, and because I like Bill.

philp

Did anyone else get something in the mail about how we are required to have an up to date copy of "FCC Rules And Regulations" in our possession? I am 99.99999% sure the government gave/sold/made available my info to a private company that's trying to get me to buy a book, that I don't need, for $119, and make it almost feel like it is the FCC sending me this.

I didn't see anyone else post about this, though it's definitely from a private company called "Federal Licensing Inc". Looking at their web site, it looks like they offer general FCC licensing services (like Bill is doing for us), so this letter feels like one of those scam domain registrars that tries to hijack your business from the place your site is currently registered with.

" anyone else get something in the mail about how we are required to have an up to date copy of "FCC Rules And Regulations" in our possession? "

yes, and yes, that is a legal requirement...

actually, you won't get too much junk mail, as the government doesn't let those lists go out cheap, or frequently.

Bill Ruck explained that it was indeed a requirement to have the FCC Rules And Regulations in one's possession when operating the equipment, but that an electronic copy (eCFR Part 74) was acceptable. Download a copy and keep it on your set laptop or your iBooks app.

Thanks, Daniel.

Here's the page at the Government Printing Office website where a PDF of the applicable sections of the rules is available for download:

http://www.gpo.gov/f...pI-subchapC.pdf

Best regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When filling out Form 601, do we need fill out any of the schedules? If so, which ones? I have just finished looking at Form 601 and there is definitly no need to hire a "lawyer", at least from what I have seen so far. I have filled out numerous visa forms for the U.S. though, so maybe I am conditioned already, hehe. Thanks for all your help!

Btw, I second a sample application that someone has completed to make it easier for all of us to do. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Bill Ruck and Coffey Sound for the great presentation last week. I already have my license, but it was fascinating to see Mr. Ruck in action. It was a very convoluted process to fill out the Form 601 and I am very glad to have had Bill's expertise.

He also brought up the very relevant point that as more spectrum is bid for at auction, now Block's 24 through 26 is on the auction block. The only chance we have of reserving the spectrum for our livelihood is to get licensed and be counted as a user.

Anyone willing to .pdf or .jpg and post the cheat sheet that was handed out at the event?

Also, I've created some screen grabs of the process that might be of help...and may need some critiquing. Does the host or anyone else have any objections to those being posted here?

Here are screen grabs I took of some of the online application, they may or may not be correct so use them at your own risk. Due to Java and the FCC website mine has a fatal glitch and I cannot complete the application until I get on a different computer.

These answers may or may not work. I checked what I could against the online seminar with Bill Ruck at Coffey/Trew and they seem similar. Hopefully these pics help guide others through the process and don't steer anyone wrong :)

All answers in RED are sections that wouldn't load for me or notes on things I thought important...especially the part about the Emission Designator code being incorrect as described by Bill.

FCC+1+applicant+info.jpg

FCC+3+ownership+qualification.jpg

FCC+6+eligibility.jpg

FCC+7+location.jpg

FCC+8+antenna.jpg

FCC+9+frequency.jpg

FCC+10+frequency+2.jpg

and remember to be patient! I've been waiting 4+ months for mine to go through. I went through Bill, so I have no worry that I screwed up paperwork.

Same here. I did my app with Bill in early October and it still shows "pending" in the ULS. Bill said not to worry, it just means that it is still in queue to be looked at.

I think some people said it took over 6 months, so I'm not worried. I can't register what I am using, but at least I am another user that they know exists. When I started in college radio we still needed to be licensed and I remember those took forever to be processed. The procedure back then was that if your paperwork had been sent in, you were good to go.

I'm still a little unsure about the realistic practicality of actually going online and saying where I will be, and what I will be using. There are just too many jobs that I can not predict where we will be, or can not say where we will be (for security/safety reasons). At the very least I am a registered user and will use that when appropriate.

Since there are no white space devices at the moment, it is still all theoretical. But the idea of registering at this time is announcing your use and need for the spectrum allocation.

Your database allocation lasts for 24 hours, so in ptactice log your location during the morning setup, time permitting.