Any Zaxcom plans to incorporate a digital input on Tx's?

PTA

Owning a 552, I have been exploring the use of the digital outs on it. I've been looking into the D4 system from Lectro which has the option of going digital in and out if your using it as a hop on the new Sony XD cams.

I know the QRX has digital outs on it, but I keep hoping, maybe dreaming that Zaxcom will make a version of the TRX w/STA with digital inputs on it as well. Any thoughts?

That would be awesome, in addition to camera hop, as a wireless boom Tx.  Use a Schoeps or Sennheiser digital mic, with an adapter to go to AES3 and in the case of Sennheiser, the ability to do M-S with a single digital preamp body via Y-cable.

I inquired about this in September 2010 and they told me that they were thinking of making a digital STA adapter and that if so it would be announced or revealed around NAB...  So I'm guessing that its on the back burner if anything.

Man, I didn't even think of that, something as simple as making just a digital STA adapter.  That's too bad it didn't make it out at NAB, that most likely would have sold me 100% on a Zax camera hop.

Your right, not the same, but there are some "digital preamp" boxes out there that will basically convert AES42 (Schoeps / Sennheiser / Neumann) to AES3 (AES/EBU).  They are small, "relatively" cheap, and some can be battery powered.  I think you loose some of the headroom with such converters, and I'm not sure how one would choose gain ranges.  Glenn expressed that the TRX42 may some day be able to handle a stereo AES42 stream, but it is obviously not the right box for the application being discussed - camera hops.

Well it sounds like its time for the STA042. Its easy to do so if enough people want it I will do it. It would work with the TRX900AA as is.

Glenn

I would love that and I think many 552 users would as well.

How long would something like this take before it is actually available to the public?

It will be quick as the TRX942 has AES42 input now. Its mainly a packaging job. Should be available August.

Glenn

AES 42  as stand alone with trx 900  with its internal batteries  or you will need ext power for that ?

or AES 3  only ?

Tomash  B 

AES 3 only. The battery life of a TRX900AA can not support AES42 at all.

By comparison the TRX942 has about a 5 hour life with Super CMIT.

Glenn

Will this new STA042 be a analogue/digital device or will we need to have a STA150 for analogue signals?

I was in error on this.

The STA042 will support AES42 inputs if externally powered by 9-18 volts. It will support balanced AES with internal or external power.

It will not support analog inputs. The STA150 or STA100 will still be needed for that.

Glenn

I was in error on this.

The STA042 will support AES42 inputs if externally powered by 9-18 volts. It will support balanced AES with internal or external power.

It will not support analog inputs. The STA150 or STA100 will still be needed for that.

Glenn

Is it passive device , or able to rise the digital gain?

Just a stupid question, is it complete digital or digital to analog trx 900 input ?

Tomash B

Glenn

Will the STA042 be designed like the STA100 with the inputs on the back or more like the 150. My vote is like the STA100.

why?

for me having the cables on the side like the sta150 means that it sits nicely in the bag. and i suspect that quite a lot of people thought the same which is why we all asked for something like the sta150 after using the sta100.

why?

for me having the cables on the side like the sta150 means that it sits nicely in the bag. and i suspect that quite a lot of people thought the same which is why we all asked for something like the sta150 after using the sta100.

As for my setup the cables on the back gives me a nice fit in my bag. Glenn is possible to design the STA042 in a way that both flavors could be had?

The STA042 form factor will be the same as the STA150. The unit will have adjustable digital gain and our soft knee compressor. All audio is processed in the digital domain. No digital to analog conversion is involved. This will keep the audio free from added noise and distortion. Transmission as well is 100% digital. The digital audio gain is controlable via Zaxnet from Deva,Fusion and Nomad.

Glenn

The STA042 form factor will be the same as the STA150. The unit will have adjustable digital gain and our soft knee compressor. All audio is processed in the digital domain. No digital to analog conversion is involved. This will keep the audio free from added noise and distortion. Transmission as well is 100% digital. The digital audio gain is controlable via Zaxnet from Deva,Fusion and Nomad.

Glenn

Now I'm a little confused, I thought digital meant it was digital, and there is no gain setup. AES/EBU plug it in and it works. I might need an explanation...

The Super CMIT AES output needs digital gain. It's output requires about 20dB of gain to be usable. This could be added at any point but allowing the TRX900 to do it provides a normalized AES signal at the receiver output.

Glenn