RF on a Skydiver

I am being asked to wire a Skydiver, so we can get a "clip" from him when he lands (really just a backup to the boom), not so much for the jump itself.

Has anyone done this before?  My concerns are-

1. The Tx becoming dislodged and falling to the ground from 10 000ft (and killing someone!)

2. The high SPL destroying the capsule before it reaches the ground

Any chance of getting some cleanish audio as the diver floats to the ground?

Any experience or insight would be great!

I am being asked to wire a Skydiver, so we can get a "clip" from him when he lands (really just a backup to the boom), not so much for the jump itself.

Has anyone done this before?  My concerns are-

1. The Tx becoming dislodged and falling to the ground from 10 000ft (and killing someone!)

2. The high SPL destroying the capsule before it reaches the ground

Any chance of getting some cleanish audio as the diver floats to the ground?

Any experience or insight would be great!

I did this once, putting a wireless on Frank Woodward (founder and owner of For Stars Catering) who is an avid skydiver. We were in New Zealand shooting "The Last Samurai" and at a weekend event he wanted to parachute in and be talking to the crowd over the P.A. system we had set up. It all worked great as soon as he came in range. No danger of the transmitter falling, it was tucked way into an inside pouch of his jump suit and the mic was well protected from wind. It was pretty effective, the crowd heard him talking before they realized they had to look up to see Frank coming down from the sky.

Hi Mike,

What did you do for wind protection?  I have had success with Rycote lav furry windsceens, but never on a skydiver

Recorded a tandem parachute presenter recently.

Put a radio mike on him for the takeoff

Plus a  Sony Minidisk recorder for the distant stuff

Worked well with the mike protected from wind

mike

No worries about damage to the capsule. It is usually easy to get good usable dialogue after the chute opens, as the falling speed is generally less than 20mph, which we all deal with every day. I think the best combination currently available is the Sanken COS-11 with its wire windscreen inside a MicroCat furry windscreen. When they jump, you should be able to get the best wireless range you've ever had.

Thanks Glen,

I have that exact setup.

Thankfully we will be doing multiple jumps- 2 daylight from the Hercules and the landing site & 2 rounds in the night as well.  Lots of chances for perfection!

No worries about damage to the capsule. It is usually easy to get good usable dialogue after the chute opens, as the falling speed is generally less than 20mph, which we all deal with every day. I think the best combination currently available is the Sanken COS-11 with its wire windscreen inside a MicroCat furry windscreen. When they jump, you should be able to get the best wireless range you've ever had.

• 1 year later...

Should work well and I've seen this, and similar things done. I was looking for a video I saw a few years ago with a newscaster that jumps out of a plane live on air, and had live audio and IFB. There was a short dropout just as she jumped out of the plane but otherwise, audio seemed good. Stunt pilot Will Allen sings the National Anthem live from the cockpit:

he uses a UM250 from what I remember - it's strapped to the seat behind him.

I'd suggest using a pair of helical antennas pointing straight up at the skydiver, and as much TX power as you can get. Line of sight gives you real advantages.... although 10K ft. is almost 2 miles... that's a long way!

I'm actually a skydiver myself. I have just over 1100 skydives. If it is for after opening you should be good to go using your regular windy day lav technique. As for the jump itself, there is no chance at all of getting usable audio. (i know you said you weren't trying for it anyway)

Hi Folks

A Sonotrim inside clothing near the neck

I was on the ground - reception good on a Lectro then at distance the

Mini Disk recorder took over.

Have done similar with my MM400's (I have 3) on Bungy jumpers at the

famous Hackett premises near Queenstown South Island NZ

I use B3 mikes for robustness taped under T-shirt.

Transmitter taped into pinned body belt

Quite funny to hear the stage countdown, the scream, and the splash

if they hit the water

Great fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

• 7 years later...

Hi guys, Next week I’ll be shooting a documentary and will need to record the dialogue from two skydivers + their communications with the base which is going to be on the ground. 

I plan to use two wisycom transmitters with DPA 6010 lavs on the skydivers and my sound devices recorder with Betso sharkie antennas on the ground. 

Does anybody have similar experience ? Any suggestions on how to get the best sound out of this situation ? 🙂

Greets,

Grega

I tried using a Nagra SN (I assume that is what you are referring to) for a recording on a rollercoaster ride  ---  discovered that the mechanical tolerance to the G-forces of the rollercoaster was not sufficient and the recording failed. Similar situation with full size Nagra planted in one of the fighter planes on the movie "The Right Stuff". The recording had a few glitches but was otherwise okay and useful, the larger problem was that Dennis Quaid vomited on the Nagra that was sitting between his legs.

Jeff, that’s brilliant. My friend had a similar “claim to fame” (or her dad at least) that Jimi Hendrix threw up over his drum kit.

Nick, as a failed / gave up piper, I hope that everyone here appreciates the skill involved in recording those beasts even in easier circumstances ...

Jez

On 5/17/2011 at 12:01 AM, jason porter said:

Hi Mike,

What did you do for wind protection?  I have had success with Rycote lav furry windsceens, but never on a skydiver

I used a  Sonotrim mike under clothing

Once in the air the presenter used a selfie stick and a GoPro to do pieces of the commercial to camera.

He then stopped talking to enjoy the "flight" and I got a wonderful altitude track.

I eventually un-rigged him in the car park below

mike

On 5/17/2011 at 7:07 AM, Michael Capulli said:

Jeff - what was your antenna / receiver setup on the ground?

Mike - did you jump as well? where were you receiving?

Me jump!!!  Xugger that!

Radio mike range was pretty good as the guy was in clear air

But the pieces to camera , out of radio range were captured on the recorder

Now days I would use a Sony Recorder to flash drive.

Small inexpensive and 24K 64 bit

This unit has been round the world on low cost commercials without budget for me.

I have wired a Sonotrim to plug into it and it is spotless!

mike

46 minutes ago, Mike Westgate said:

I used a  Sonotrim mike under clothing

Once in the air the presenter used a selfie stick and a GoPro to do pieces of the commercial to camera.

He then stopped talking to enjoy the "flight" and I got a wonderful altitude track.

I eventually un-rigged him in the car park below

mike

Me jump!!!  Xugger that!

Radio mike range was pretty good as the guy was in clear air

But the pieces to camera , out of radio range were captured on the recorder

Now days I would use a Sony Recorder to flash drive.

Small inexpensive and 24K 64 bit

This unit has been round the world on low cost commercials without budget for me.

I have wired a Sonotrim to plug into it and it is spotless!

mike

What's the Sony unit Mike?