Zaxconvert issues

James Arnold

Hello folks

Having a few problems trying to convert files to BWF on my Mac (OSX 10.4.11).

The card appears on the desktop with the .zax files but when I 'add source folder' the files are greyed out. Files played back on TRX transmitter (at least visually - the meter bobs up and down) but I can't get my conversions off the ground.

Any thoughts?

its just looking for the folder rather than the .zax and .zzz files

so if you just point it to the folder that contains them and hit open that should let you open the audio segments in zaxconvert.

ive had an issue - and it seems to be an issue specific to one my computers (osx 10.6.7) where i had to create a second user account on my computer in order to export the files.

Hi Rich,

I too have a problem using Zaxconvert, but only on my newish iMac running 10.6.7, whether I put the SD card directly into the iMac or use a card reader.  When I use the software on my older MBP, under 10.5, it works fine. 

I'll try your solution about creating a new user account.  When you did it, did you do anything special beyond choosing a new user name and password?

Thanks for any tips.

nothing special.

just a new user account.

my old macbook pro running 10.6.7 sees the cards fine.

there is probably some program that we both have installed that is doing something in the background that zaxconvert doesnt like. but i think life is too short to try and find out what it is.

Maybe you should call Zaxcom for some of their legendary customer service.  (973) 835-5000. Please report back so we know how they respond to your inquiry about their products.

Best regards,

Jim

I did post about this on the devaII group and i uploaded the contents of the SD card i was having issues with - i recall now that i could see the files on a 2gig card but not on a 4gig card that had the rushes, though i could export the files from both - which whilst it led to a small update to the zaxconvert software, didnt solve the problem that i was having with getting the software to see the files on the SD card with my main login. creating the secondary user account gets around this.

• 1 month later...

Post dept, on the show that I am working on, finds that the files recorded on the trx900aa are quite a bit lower than the production track, if they need to go to it. I am using a macbook running 10.6.7 and zaxconvert 6.09. Was using 6.11 for a bit and found it was not always working. When I have the time, I run it through another program to boost the levels, for dailies, but it adds another layer of work. Wondering what others have found.

thanks

ao

Post dept, on the show that I am working on, finds that the files recorded on the trx900aa are quite a bit lower than the production track, if they need to go to it. I am using a macbook running 10.6.7 and zaxconvert 6.09. Was using 6.11 for a bit and found it was not always working. When I have the time, I run it through another program to boost the levels, for dailies, but it adds another layer of work. Wondering what others have found.

thanks

ao

This is the exact same issue others have talked about in relation to the levels on the mix track vs. the levels on iso tracks. This is not a "problem" with tracks recorded on the trx900 or any problem with zaxconvert. If you record the same signal on the trx900 and on a recorder with the input trim set the same and then DO NOT "mix" or change any levels, the track on the trx900 and your recorder will be the same. But that's not the point! The track recorded on the trx900 OR the iso track on your recorder is subject to only one gain stage and that is the input trim on the mic preamp. You generally do not "ride the gain" on the transmitter whereas you DO make gain changes to the same signal on the recorder (changing the level from the input to the record bus). This additional "layer of work" is not your problem and is just part of the process if post wants to use the trx900 track (or any iso track) in place of some other track recorded at a different level.