Kortwich mixer/recorder bags for Mixers with busted backs.

Solid Goldberger

Hello all,

This company has been mentioned on here several times in the past year or so, but I just wanted to post about a product of theirs that I recently purchased that is making my life much easier:

About 4 years ago, I had surgery on a herniated disk in my lumbar spine.  I'm mostly fine now, thanks to a good surgeon, and a couple of excellent physical therapists.  However, its not lost on me that the poor ergonomics of typical ENG sound equipment were probably a major contributor to my problems (that and not stretching!!!).  Since then, I've been searching for a system that would eliminate the need for a harness, taking the weight off my back and shoulders and placing it onto my hips (like a big belt/fanny pack).  For my 302 kit I tried the Kata Koala-4, but I just couldn't get it to sit on my hips nicely.  I had largely given up looking until I was browsing through Pro-Sound in NY and came across a couple of demo bags and a catalog from Kortwich, which contained exactly what I was looking for.

(Photos stolen from Kortwich's website)

bf29381929.jpgfd11cd89fe.jpgf4e51fd37c.jpg

I'm using a 552, 2 Lectro SRs, a Lectro T1, a Denecke SB3, a Remote Audio BDS, and a Lithium NP1--basically the typical overweight 5-channel package--but in this bag, my back gets none of the abuse.  The design has changed a little from the image above (no cup holder (replaced by straps I use to hold my breakaway cable/headphones, and they've added a second set of straps/clasps), but it really does a great job of keep everything accessible and visible, while comfortably sitting on my hips.  The back support is very comfortable, as well.  Pricing was very fair, comparable to Porta-Brace/Kata/Petrol

Everything I've seen from this company seems top notch.  There is definitely a hand-made quality and precision that I really appreciate, and missing are the annoying velcro flaps everywhere (a la porta-brace), or the unneccesary bulk (Petrol).  They also will customize any of their bags to your specifications (though if you don't speak German it might be a little more difficult).

I got mine through Professional Sound Services in NY, and Rich Sr. took my order, helping to navigate the language barrier for me, and I believe they are actively a US dealer for Kortwich products--they have several other interesting products on display, including a cool little sound cart, and some beautiful custom cables.  The bag I got was everything I had wanted and more, and I'll be ordering another one for my Fusion as soon as I can. 

Save your backs people, you only get one.

Best wishes,

e.

It's really light, but not in a flimsy way. It seems like the padding they used is pretty low density and fluffy, yet seems to be cushiony enough to absorb shock from bumps and small drops, as well as protecting your back and "abs". Probably it's comparable to a petrol organizer. Without all the extra plastic doodads hanging off the sides, maybe a little lighter.

The only disadvantages I've seen so far have been:

If you can see in the photos I posted, the bag is divided into 3 sections. The two closest to your body are open on the sides (into the hand "pouhches") for connecting cables. For my purposes, I'd prefer only the front pouch be completely open on the side, but I have patched it up with one of those little Velcro dividers left over from an old porta-brace.

Also, I wish I had ordered mine with a flap on the front pouch, so I could fill it all the way up with transmitters/batteries/tape/etc. Without ever worrying about anything falling out. I'll do this on the fusion bag.

E.

I like to keep it fairly tight, just because I think it feels better having the pressure spread evenly across my midsection, rather then just on the bottom edge (which is closer to delicate parts). But it actually stays in place really well when worn loosely, though I wouldn't want to run with it.  Either way, when I sit down, it just sorta rides up, just like when I would sit with a bag strapped to a harness. 

As opposed to wearing a harness, it is a little harder to put the bag on quickly, though I have always found that to do it right with my Versa-Flex harness, you need to use all four contact points, which takes a long time to do each time, and this discourages you from taking it off when you get a moment to relax.  With the Kortwich bag, it takes about 10 seconds to get it on initially, and then I can tighten it up how I like it while I'm walking, but I'm getting faster.

e.

How does this compare to the new memory foam Portabrace harness?  I see there is no shoulder strap portion?  Is this true?  Could you use a Portabrace bag with it?  Do you not need a shoulder harness? 

I have felt like none of the harnesses have used any sort of ergonomic research on their straps, even basic research like going to a backpacking store to see that women need weight in one place on their body and men carry weight differently (due to evolutionary things involving childbearing and so forth).  So, I am very interested in this setup you have.  Very cool.

-Matt

The newer portabrace padding feels more like a gel to me, which is nice as well.  This is padded with something lighter and spongier.  It seems completely sufficient to me for its intended purpose.

Yes, you don't need to use a harness or any kind of shoulder strap with this bag.  However, if you choose to for some reason, there are three sets of [really nice] plastic loops along the top of the bag to hook a harness, strap, handle, or other accessories to.  To your question of whether you could use a porta-brace bag with the back strap, the answer is no, as it is attached by four plastic clasps that the porta-brace doesn't have (the back brace has the "male" ends, and the bag has the "female" ends).

Your point about the poor ergonomics of a harness is absolutely true.  When you look at the design of most large "backpacking" packs, the majority of the weight is carried on the hips.  The straps around your shoulders are merely to keep it from falling over.  THAT is how the body is meant to carry weight, and I think this bag gets a lot closer to that. 

e.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm interested in this as my back needs support, however, I am, to put it bluntly fat on my midriff, so will I see the PPm's, rotary faders, etc?

I used the Portabrace memory-foam harness, which I like a lot for its back support spread around the hips and it does allow me to keep the bag up and visible. However it's bulky and I feel like a member of a SWAT team every time I put one on.

Any advice, nmuch appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve