Radio mic frequencies

David

A recordist friend in the UK is travelling to the following locations, what would be the best radio frequencies to use and are there any local rental companies he could get a couple of radio mics to hire.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Amarillo

El Paso

Austin

Hill Country

San Antonio

Galveston

Houston

Kilgore

Dallas

Fort Worth

Huntsville

" the best radio frequencies to use " ??

those without interference on them at the time and place you are using them.  frequent scanning will be required.

any and all blocks are capable of providing satisfactory operation of several  systems at just about any time and any place.  Interference issues will vary from time to time, and place to place, and include a lot more than just TV broadcasters, which of course can be easily looked up.

What is with the "Senator" anyway?  are you a Senator?

That's his legal name!

The point is that it's impossible to predict what will work in all those areas at any different time of day and different precise location. There's parts of LA where Block 22 is totally swamped to the point where it's almost unusable, and parts where it's at least 50% wide open (as one example). I'v never found that there were rules of thumb that always applied 100% of the time. Heck, I've been on locations where three or four frequencies were fine at the start of the day, then we suddenly got hit with spikes at noon -- with no explanation. I blame UFOs.

You can get a digital TV frequency chart and see where the TV stations are broadcasting on the UHF band, so that you can now up front to stay away from those areas (in given cities). The advice to do scans and tests is not as bad as you think.

--Marc W.

I think that mixer should do what any of us would do if traveling to a city where we hadn't worked recently:  check the Sennheiser and Lectro docs, maybe do a little FCC digging, and cover yourself with some extra gear.  The situation is far more unpredictable than it used to be (thanks, TVBDs!), so figure out the minimum number of channels you could live with having and then have backups, in other blocks if possible.

phil p

GREAT ADVICE!!!

WAY TO BE HELPFUL!!!

YOU ARE MY HERO!!

Our great "Senator" is correct.  Every and any wireless frequency will work anywhere in the world, but to what degree of success you will have varies (he never mentions this, for some reason)

in fact, all Lectro blocks work in:

Amarillo

El Paso

Austin

Hill Country

San Antonio

Galveston

Houston

Kilgore

Dallas

Fort Worth

Huntsville

All the "Lectro Blocks" will work, and even if the equipment is not from Lectro!

any and every block (typically around 25 MHz of spectrum!!) should accommodate several systems, everywhere / anywhere.

Exactly how many systems per block in any location may, of course, vary, but for our typical purposes the answer is "plenty".  Of course if you are a large event (like a Broadway show, Industry awards (Emmy's, Tony's, etc),Tour Show (Lady GaGa, Justin, American Idol, etc.) News event (Presidential visit, Schwartzenager or Shriver stakeout, End of the World, etc.) you might need, or at least want, to carry a greater redundancy, on (any) additional blocks.  Those folks always do, and interestingly they don't have to keep asking about it!

Disclaimer:  after "The Rapture", all bets are off!

Uh huh.

Though I can't provide a picture ATM, I am, however, currently using Block 21 for IFB feeds, Block 22/23/25/26 for talents on a theater show I'm currently doing.  The spectrum should look very crowded here in downtown San Francisco, but I haven't encountered any kind of sizable RF spikes that I was expecting.  All blocks are usable no matter where you are on the planet, thus I agree with Senator.  I've used Shure, Sennheiser, and Lectro all co-existing on multiple Venues and have never encountered a problem.  Just make sure you do your homework and prep for when the day comes.

Though I can't provide a picture ATM, I am, however, currently using Block 21 for IFB feeds, Block 22/23/25/26 for talents on a theater show I'm currently doing.  The spectrum should look very crowded here in downtown San Francisco, but I haven't encountered any kind of sizable RF spikes that I was expecting.  All blocks are usable no matter where you are on the planet, thus I agree with Senator.  I've used Shure, Sennheiser, and Lectro all co-existing on multiple Venues and have never encountered a problem.  Just make sure you do your homework and prep for when the day comes.

Wow, the last response I thought that picture would generate was "every block will always work everywhere"!

I personally think that kind of comment is sort of irresponsible.  To me, it does not follow that if in one place (in your case, downtown SF) four blocks work well, it's a legitimate conclusion that any block will work well in every place.  I was hoping that image was an example of that (and I've certainly seen similar images in other blocks in other places than that block and that location). 

Of course, in the photo I posted, some of those freqs would work over short distances even though there is all that hash.  But if hundreds of feet of reception were required, you'd be in the soup.

As the Senator likes to say, "It depends..."

" Uh huh... the last response I thought that picture would generate  "

my response: then why do you use, or even have any equipment in that block??

BTW: is all that TV stations?? and is it the same everywhere you go in New York City??

I did not ever say that there wasn't a lot of stuff out there, cause there is, and it is unfortunate when we need to depend so heavily on this stuff for such extreme performance, too... But that only reinforces the huge advantage of Zaxcom's unique recording wireless,  the Nagra SN's of the 21st century!

From another topic:

" "24 wireless mics over 3 different groups" I am assuming that you are either an event mixer or a "Reality Supervisor". "

Well, first note it already involves multiple blocks, and of course an event mixer (or reality Sound Supervisor" has more homework to do, and a responsibility to carry plenty of additional equipment from location to location (or venue to venue) to allow for potential issues getting so many units operating successfully.  Traveling crews for these types of gigs already do that!