Idx Lithium NP-1 in cold weather.

pvanstry

Just finished a shoot yesterday where we had to be outside for half an hour.  Now, i live in Montreal, Canada and yesterday with the wind chill it was -46 degree celsius ( no jokes ).  I power my set-up ( SOund devices 442 with 3 Lectros UCr411 ) using a IDX NP-1 Lithium battery.  Now the battery is new and was reading a little low ( one light left on the 3  reading ) but the lectros were telling me it was still 14.8 vdc.  I went outside and after 10 minutes the battery was dead.  My set-up turned itself off and i was left dead in the water.  Any idea??  Is lithium not suppose to be the best thing in the cold???  I was wearing the battery against my jacket.

Thanks

Pascal

Those Lithiums hold a charge long and then drop like a brick @ around 11v or so. But if you were reading only 1 LED, you should never have used it. I change mine out at that indication. Lithiums don't like to be discharged all the way. Better to top them off, before they go completely dead. At least that is what I have read here and at RAMPS. If I am wrong then I am sure someone else will chime in here.

Those Lithiums hold a charge long and then drop like a brick @ around 11v or so. But if you were reading only 1 LED, you should never have used it. I change mine out at that indication. Lithiums don't like to be discharged all the way. Better to top them off, before they go completely dead. At least that is what I have read here and at RAMPS. If I am wrong then I am sure someone else will chime in here.

I agree with this. But in addition, the info that I've found says that the minimum operating temperature for the Lithiums is about -10 C. Might be best to keep the battery inside your jacket(s) with just a cable running out to your gear.

My $0.02.

pe

I was powering 4 Lectro 211's , 442, Zaxcom Stereoline TX in my bag.  My indication for battery change while shooting (where stopping down isn't a real big deal) is the blinking power light on the 442.  When It starts blinking I will change the battery during a pause in shooting.  As far as the cold goes, the little heat packs that go in your gloves help keep the temp up on the battery.  If you were at one dot on the meter I would expect the battery to die soon regardless of the low temperature.

Rob

Interesting, i have 3x UCR411, a 442 and that's it.  I use battery profile 1 on the 442 set-up.  My battery light never blinked it just went out on me with no warning.  Since, i have made a longer cable and will keep the battery next to my body for heat.  I have a 14 hours shoot next week outside at a ski resort.  I will bring my charger and my power inverter for my car just in case.  I live north of Montreal and temperature are pretty always under -15 celsius, so i have to get ready for it.  I will also buy the hand warmer chemical pack for the gear.  Any other advice that could help me out on this....

THank you

Pascal

The one down side to the LiIon batts. is like Michael said -- they drop like a brick.  They stay pretty hot voltage-wise right up until they give up the ghost.  They're great in most situations, but you gotta have more than one -- and never trust it past the first 2 LED's.

The first set of IDX LiIons I bought were amazing -- I used one batt. through a Remote Audio BDS to power a 442, a 702T, 4 Lectro 411's and a Lectro T1 IFB... it lasted all day! I was thrilled.  They don't stay that way though -- granted, they still do last an amazingly long time, but especially in cold weather, you gotta use hand warmers (one to start the day, and one after lunch) and you should have a few of 'em on hand.  Good luck up there in the cold.

--tt