Hearing Loss

Tom Maloney

Hi folks, I am not trying to pry into anyone's personal life here but have any of you continued on in this craft after having hearing loss and being fitted with an hearing aid? I saw the doc today and found I have lost some in the high end.  Looks like I am going to get some bionic ears :)

Thanks all

Tom

The older you get the more range you loose. It is just part of getting older.

The worry is, that with Ipods and other MP players, kids today play them so loud into their heads that by the time they're 40 most will be deaf.

Good part about that is, us old folk will still be able to hear and keep working.!!!!

I had a musical life before production sound where I was far too lackadaisical about hearing protection. A visit to my audiologist for a frequency spectrum test found a good dip at around 5khz, i suspect from cymbals and snare overtones. Equipped with that knowledge, i spent some extra time trying to get a sense of what I was missing and factor that in to my mixes. In my case I'm missing some sibby stuff, so I know that if I do lose something post can handle it, but knowing exactly where you aren't hearing and trying to determine what that practically means can be a strong asset. It's far better to know and work around then end up cranking the treb pot and screwing the mix.