Rycote windjammer shedding - how to stop it!

AB

I notice that the windjammer on my rycote blimp sheds A LOT more than my rode blimps.

Any suggestions?  If I combs it a lot, would it stop?  Or would I lose too much of it?

Any advice?

I have written to them and am waiting for a response.  I have two of them.  They are new.  Is it normal for them to shed some fibers when in contact with them (i.e attaching to soft clothing?)  THANKS, AB

My experience is that Rycote has very good support. Contact them at info@rycote.com and I bet they'll work out a repair or replacement.

--Marc W.

I have two of them.  They are new.  Is it normal for them to shed some fibers when in contact with them (i.e attaching to soft clothing?)

I've noticed that Rycote Windjammers shed quite a bit when they're new. After a while it seems to slow down and eventually stop. 

Rich

You would think that if we can put a man on moon, that there would be a safe windjammer thickening shampoo.

That's because they become BALD!!!    Then you have to get a replant or a rug!!!

Guys,  They will always shed a bit, no big deal....  Keep them brushed (lightly) to keep them working properly and keep them from matting.

I wash them with Woolite, by hand, warm water, in a sink.... take it outside, do not wring, but hold one end and spin around with your arm to rid it of as much water as possible, then simply hang dry on a tree limb or stick of some sort... When dry, lightly brush and you are good for another 5 months or so...

This has worked very well over the years.... when finished they smell nice, are plumped, clean and work great!!!  They look like new...

Some hairs will be on the brush, there is nothing you can do... just don't brush or wash too often...  Some hair on clothes and falling out is totally normal...

I wrote to Rycote - and they wrote back with the most detailed response I have ever received from a manufacturer.  They also said they would replace my windjammer if it continues to shed.  Actually, I think the shedding has stopped for the most part.  I used them today in a fairly good wind, and they did really good.

I am very impressed with the Rycote company and customer service.

They indicated that they work working on a FAQ based on my concern.