Ambient Lectromote app

Actualsizeaudio

The buttons light up, but I gots no sound. The iPhone is running iOS 4.0.1, and I can hear the WAV files of the iTunes versions of the dweedle tones (and music) with no problems. Custom ring-tones sound fine. Ambient app no worko.

Maybe it's the black cloud of death over my head...smiley-shocked015.gif

--Marc W.

My iPhone is running 4.2.1, so maybe that's the difference. I just checked it again, and the Lectromote works.

GT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I bought it as well. I like Ambient a lot, so I don't mind sending them $10.

Seriously, can't they just record the different tones for the gain and include them in the app? I imagine Lectro would get angry. It should be noted, if I was willing to give Ambient $10, I'd also be willing to give Lectro $50 for what is on the RM2.

Lectro is quite happy with the app and we are working together on the bigger versions. Of course we could just implement the sounds but there would be 400 of them. It's way more easy to implement the algorithm so we can fastly alter the app when new features are added. We will offer as I told before an inapp purchase option for everybody who owns our small version with a 10$ discount. So there is no need to wait for bigger versions ;)

An Android version is being discussed right now but I can't foresee the outcome.

Cheers Timo

P.S. Please don't forget that every App must be programmed and since this app is done for only a really small group of people compared to all the other 1$ Apps it will take time to at least pay our programmers when 30% is taken by apple...

AND just think about what would happen on set if anybody could download the app for only 1$ and controll your Lectros... I definitelly know some Lighting technicians who would be very thankful for a cheap fun like this... ;)

• 1 month later...

Android users:My boom op and I have the MP3 files on our Droids. With the MP3 open, add it to a playlist called "sleep" (repeat for the other functions). From your home screen you can make a playlist shortcut to the "unsleep" playlist that only has that one MP3 file.

We're really only using sleep/unsleep right now. The gain function would be nice, but this is still pretty useful, especially when the SM is hidden under some cumbersome wardrobe.

We're really only using sleep/unsleep right now. The gain function would be nice, but this is still pretty useful, especially when the SM is hidden under some cumbersome wardrobe.

Take it from me: be sure to lock the transmitters before you put them on actors. Some of them have sticky fingers, or you'll get one that sits on the mike and shuts it off with their... uh... posteriors.

I have a playlist on my iPhone called "Lectro Tones" which has Sleep, Unsleep (which they really should call "Awake"), Lock, and Unlock. I still would love to see Lectro come up with a $99 app that would duplicate every function the RM does, especially Frequency and Audio Level.

--Marc W.

Take it from me: be sure to lock the transmitters before you put them on actors. Some of them have sticky fingers, or you'll get one that sits on the mike and shuts it off with their... uh... posteriors.

I have a playlist on my iPhone called "Lectro Tones" which has Sleep, Unsleep (which they really should call "Awake"), Lock, and Unlock. I still would love to see Lectro come up with a $99 app that would duplicate every function the RM does, especially Frequency and Audio Level.

--Marc W.

interesting.... We'll try the lock. We haven't had an issue on this current film, though some of the actors are smart enough to shut the SMs off between setups. My gut instinct is always to think it's a dead battery right as they return to set.

off topic, but my Lectros have been working like champs on my current film. A large part of the film is about rowers, and we have been filming in 90+F heat. Even the non-rowing scenes mean people are sweating. I only own one MM400C (originally bought for a gory horror film), and that's been used when I know the mic will probably be soaked (rowing in the rain, possibly dunk in the river etc). the SMs are holding up to sweat of rowing in this heat. For the boat micing we used some additional water protection on the mic and the TX, but it's been great so far. I guess I'll have to see how they hold up in the next few months, but so far, so good!

Hi John,

That's why it takes a two button, three second push to turn power on and off. Though I'm sure we have been roundly cursed for making it difficult. The lock function is pretty bulletproof. The talent can only disable it by removing the battery. The RM, however, can both enable and disable it. Are you using the vinyl cap around the 5 pin connector? It's a little bit of a pain to use but I'm curious if the advantage out weighs the difficulty.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

interesting.... We'll try the lock. We haven't had an issue on this current film, though some of the actors are smart enough to shut the SMs off between setups. My gut instinct is always to think it's a dead battery right as they return to set.

off topic, but my Lectros have been working like champs on my current film. A large part of the film is about rowers, and we have been filming in 90+F heat. Even the non-rowing scenes mean people are sweating. I only own one MM400C (originally bought for a gory horror film), and that's been used when I know the mic will probably be soaked (rowing in the rain, possibly dunk in the river etc). the SMs are holding up to sweat of rowing in this heat. For the boat micing we used some additional water protection on the mic and the TX, but it's been great so far. I guess I'll have to see how they hold up in the next few months, but so far, so good!

I coded up an HTML app that I can use on my iPhone but I suspect it would work on most smart phones...In the future I plan to build in caching with HTML5 so that the web app can be used when the phone is in airplane mode or without good service. The curious can view it here: http://www.bmcvicar.com/sound/iRM/

I used it on set this past week and it worked great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just knocked up a very simple android app app for the 4 Lectro tones available on the website. It still needs a bit of tidying up but seems to work. I'll try to put it somewhere to make it available sometime in the not to distant future.

A question for Larry...not being in the states can I possibly email somebody in Lectrosonics for information about the other tones? I'll try to incorporate them all if I can get them.

Thanks

davidt@lectrosonics.com

LarryF

Lectro

Hi All,

I just knocked up a very simple android app app for the 4 Lectro tones available on the website. It still needs a bit of tidying up but seems to work. I'll try to put it somewhere to make it available sometime in the not to distant future.

A question for Larry...not being in the states can I possibly email somebody in Lectrosonics for information about the other tones? I'll try to incorporate them all if I can get them.

Thanks

What time frame would you guess we are looking at?

TIA

Hey guys,

the new features will be available with a 10 Dollar discount as an in app purchase for the people who already bought the "light" version! So you can wait but you don't have to! ;)

I'll be keeping you up to date

Cheers

Timo K

Ambient Recording

• 2 weeks later...

Available for both Android and iPhone (iOS):

http://appshopper.com/productivity/lectrorm

Very highly recommended. It's twice the price of the Ambient app ($19.99 vs. $9.99), but has all the features of the RM including remote frequency adjustment and remote audio input gain. Terrific interface. Note that the app actually generates its own tones and does not merely play back WAV files.

--Marc W.

Just for my own edification since I have never used the Lectros with ANY remote, the transmitter has to "hear" the tones through the microphone, is that right? So, you walk up to the actor and generate audible tones close enough to the mic to be heard by the transmitter? Does the transmitter ever get confused when there is a lot of complex ambient noise? Just curious.

Good question. I experimented with the remote, while shooting an improv comedy (8 x SM all day) shooting in a live supermarket. There was no issue with ambient noise. But if remote it too loud, it could "instruct" other units nearby.

It was a great product, but not worth the price tag. The App is worth every penny.

Robert

Just for my own edification since I have never used the Lectros with ANY remote, the transmitter has to "hear" the tones through the microphone, is that right? So, you walk up to the actor and generate audible tones close enough to the mic to be heard by the transmitter? Does the transmitter ever get confused when there is a lot of complex ambient noise? Just curious.

I've had good luck with the tones about 6" away from the mic.

Works pretty good through from the cart through the AD's walkie as well.