Mac OS Lion

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

This is funny you comparing quick times to flash.

Too bad flash is only 99% of market presentation.

The link was to a regular website, Apple, that had a Quicktime movie. Any modern browser should be able to play Quicktime so the problem seems to be that the browser Android phones use does not support Quicktime? So, nothing proprietary about it --- just choices. Android browser doesn't support Quicktime, Apple (Safari) browser doesn't support Flash. It's annoying either way.

The link was to a regular website, Apple, that had a Quicktime movie. Any modern browser should be able to play Quicktime so the problem seems to be that the browser Android phones use does not support Quicktime? So, nothing proprietary about it --- just choices. Android browser doesn't support Quicktime, Apple (Safari) browser doesn't support Flash. It's annoying either way.

Jeff, your link won't play on my Windows 7 laptop.  I don't have Quicktime player installed because it steals all links to mov files and forces you to use the lame Quicktime browser viewer. Even when you set all the filetypes and Mime settings to play mov files in WMP12.  Windows 7 plays mov files in Windows Media player unless the website (like Apple) insists on using only the Quicktime Browser plug in.  If it was in Flash or MP4 it would play fine on any browser or platform.  But Apple is trying to force you to download their lame Quicktime and iTunes in order to see the file play on your Win 7 browser.  My browser is IE9 latest version.

----Courtney

actually, Mr. Englebert invented it with Bill English, at Stanford, in 1963,  but it was Apple that brought it to the general public with the LISA computers...

The Lisa was never a "General Public" computer.  At $8000 to $10,000 it was a commercial failure. 

The Xerox Star office system was the first to use Englebert's mouse and the Desktop graphical interface.

My first PC in 1982 had a Microsoft Mouse that worked in DOS and Windows 2.0.  Word for DOS came with the Mouse.

----Courtney

Jeff, your link won't play on my Windows 7 laptop.  I don't have Quicktime player installed because it steals all links to mov files and forces you to use the lame Quicktime browser viewer. Even when you set all the filetypes and Mime settings to play mov files in WMP12.  Windows 7 plays mov files in Windows Media player unless the website (like Apple) insists on using only the Quicktime Browser plug in.  If it was in Flash or MP4 it would play fine on any browser or platform.  But Apple is trying to force you to download their lame Quicktime and iTunes in order to see the file play on your Win 7 browser.  My browser is IE9 latest version.

----Courtney

Are you saying that with the Win 7 browser if you go to a site that has movie trailers all in Quicktime format you can't even play them? I guess that's why some of the sites with lots of video have to encode in several different formats and then you make the choice how you want to play it?

I know the Quicktime player on my Mac will play anything. I have played .wmv files and flash files and so forth.

Jeff,

This is funny you comparing quick times to flash.

Too bad flash is only 99% of market presentation.

Rado

Use the platform that you like. No one is twisting your arm. I comfortably use both.

However, I do feel sorry for all those poor bean counters that are forced to use Windows in the corporate world. They don't have much of a choice in the matter.

actually, Mr. Englebert invented it with Bill English, at Stanford, in 1963,  but  Apple was amongst the first that offered it to the public (not just commercial users) with the high priced, limited popularity LISA computers...

The first I saw one was on my Apple ][gs. It even came with a tutorial that walked you through how to use it.

I am waiting for Steve Jobs to take credit for inventing the the cloud technology.

He did the same for the IPod and Iphone and it worked. People still credit him with Ipod and Iphone innovation .

There is tons of stuff that Apple didn't invent but there is so much technology that when Apple put it out in the marketplace it became common, accessible and fun! Apple didn't "invent" video conferencing, for example, but without Facetime and iChat, regular people would never have gone to the trouble to find an IT person to set up a video chat. Apple didn't invent USB but if Apple hadn't removed the printer port in favor of USB in the first iMac, you would probably be still hooking up your printer with a big ugly parallel printer connector. The list goes on and on. Your're right, Apple didn't invent "the Cloud" but no one else has made it so easy, accessible and useful for the masses...  just watch how iCloud continues to make Apple the number one worldwide technology company when it comes to personal, ordinary people's use of computing devices. I'm sure Microsoft will announce the "iCloud killer" but it won't and Microsoft will further slip into obscurity in the personal computing device arena.

Think about the statistic mentioned in the first minutes at WWDC that the overall PC market was down 1% last year but the Mac was up 28%. This is the Mac, not all the other devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.) --- these other devices already have over 90% of the market and there is little doubt that they will continue to dominate.

Apple invented the GUI.

Oh wait.....

Sorry, I had to.

Everyone has their preference. I don't feel quicktime or iTunes are lame, because I prefer them to the other options out there. They work the best for me. Others out there hate them. That's fine. Just like some Windows users don't like dealing with quicktime, some apple users don't like dealing with WMV files, even though there are programs out there like flipformac that allow wmv files to be played and converted into quicktime movies so they can be used in industry standard programs like Pro Tools. What frustrates me is when I see people who haven't spent a lot of time with either system really bash the other. I've had both Mac and Windows running side by side for years now, and I know them both pretty well, and I know which I prefer and why I prefer based on real world use. I'm not saying everyone on here hasn't used both systems a lot, but arguing over why Lion is going to be lame or non-innovative is kind of like when we all had flame wars over the Deva vs. Cantar years ago (remember those...on RAMPS?). In the end it doesn't matter. Use what you like, and be happy with it.

. I'm sure Microsoft will announce the "iCloud killer" but it won't and Microsoft will further slip into obscurity in the personal computing device arena.

No I don't think Microsoft will try to get into the streaming Media market. It has never shown any interest in that area.

Not very business like and Microsoft is all about business and industry. However, Google and Amazon are preparing their "iCloud Killers" as we speak. I think there will be a lot of lawsuits filed against Apple in the next few months. The music industry and music publishing industry is too hung up on IP rights to let Jobs try to monopolize the streaming business. Apple had to come up with a $150 million bribe to get this far but I bet it won't last.

For example I watched the keynote and read the descriptions of iCloud and iTunes Match service but I am still confused as to what it actually does. Does it store a list in the cloud of your purchases on iTunes and Match those on your Mac or PC that are not purchased but are contained in Apple's Library? It says it "pushes" those songs to all your Apple Devices. Does that mean it downloads 256kbs MP3s or AACs over WiFi or G3 onto the hard drives of each device or does it just make them available to stream from Apples servers when you want to listen? It isn't clear what they mean by Push. Some people have close to a Terabyte of ripped CDs and "borrowed" music on their PCs. What happens when iCloud tries to "Push" that terabyte of music onto your 64 Gig iPad? Will your bandwidth be forever clogged with endless background uploading and downloading? If it is just a remote syncing utility that is pretty ho-hum. It is faster to do that with a $60 USB hard drive. And if you need to be connected to the internet to listen to your library I see that as a huge disadvantige as well. It will kill batteries of iPhones and iPads. Continuous streaming on a battery powered device is death especially over 3G. I don't think there is anything "innovative" in iCloud other than the wacky business model. Remember Mobile Me was a bust... Jobs even admitted it. I predict the same result with iCloud.

---Courtney

Are you saying that with the Win 7 browser if you go to a site that has movie trailers all in Quicktime format you can't even play them? I guess that's why some of the sites with lots of video have to encode in several different formats and then you make the choice how you want to play it?

I know the Quicktime player on my Mac will play anything. I have played .wmv files and flash files and so forth.

No they won't play if they are Streaming Quicktime or links to MOV files.  All other formats play fine.  You will note the small print on the bottom of the page you linked to states:

"Streaming video requires Safari 4 or 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Safari on iOS 3 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows"

The Browser plugin that Quicktime 7 installs in Windows IE is very lame.  For many files it just goes to a completely blank browser page with no indication what is going on until the entire MOV file is downloaded before a player interface appears and starts to play.  During that time (sometimes several minutes) you can not continue to browse or even read text that was on the page before you hit the link.  No way to cancel or stop until it finishes..  It SUCKS.  That is why I do not have Quicktime installed on any of my machines that I don't absolutely have to.

--Courtney

Wrong.  Xerox invented the GUI!

Apple invented the GUI.

Oh wait.....

Sorry, I had to.

Everyone has their preference. I don't feel quicktime or iTunes are lame, because I prefer them to the other options out there. They work the best for me. Others out there hate them. That's fine. Just like some Windows users don't like dealing with quicktime, some apple users don't like dealing with WMV files, even though there are programs out there like flipformac that allow wmv files to be played and converted into quicktime movies so they can be used in industry standard programs like Pro Tools. What frustrates me is when I see people who haven't spent a lot of time with either system really bash the other. I've had both Mac and Windows running side by side for years now, and I know them both pretty well, and I know which I prefer and why I prefer based on real world use. I'm not saying everyone on here hasn't used both systems a lot, but arguing over why Lion is going to be lame or non-innovative is kind of like when we all had flame wars over the Deva vs. Cantar years ago (remember those...on RAMPS?). In the end it doesn't matter. Use what you like, and be happy with it.

Cut the crap and give me a right click button!!!!

I've been a Mac user since 1987, and I've used two-button mice since about 1992 or 1993, whenever the Kensington Turbo Mouse first came out. I've always, always used two-button mice, whether on Windows, Linux, or Mac OSX.

I agree that Apple is very foolish for not shipping the computer with two-button mice, but don't forget, you can always access all the right-click functions just by control-clicking. Same thing.

There is tons of stuff that Apple didn't invent but there is so much technology that when Apple put it out in the marketplace it became common, accessible and fun!

Jeff is correct. Apple didn't "invent" a lot of things, just as Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile. But you can make a good argument that Apple perfected a lot of widely-accepted computer concepts like the graphical user interface, the use of the mouse, MP3 players, tablet computers, smartphones, selling music and videos as downloads, and a thousand other concepts that are taken for granted today.

I understand and sympathize with Courtney, and as a long-time Apple observer, I recognize that Apple as a company can be infuriating to deal with and can be very repressive, difficult, and arrogant, especially for developers. But that doesn't take away from the fact that they do a lot of brilliant, innovative, and successful things. I think they get things right far more than they do wrong.

The worst thing I can say about Apple is that they charge too damned much for their stuff. (Like that "My Rent Is Too Damned High" candidate in NY.) Just my opinion.

--Marc W.

I switch back and forward. I love windows 7. It is perfect OS with everything I need.

My main complain with Apple apart from their retarded advertising is security and the lack of Blu Ray.

But mainly security.

But I do not want to beat around the bush about OSX vs W7.

I am just saying that Jeff's first post is a little over the top.

Nothing new in the OSX Lion service pack. And also everybody know that new OSX means trouble for a while...

Also they stop innovation for profit. If they can make more money by not giving you something in OSX or iOS they will do it.

Now if you want to talk FCP they really did it this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAVO APPLE....So much innovation!!!!!!!!

I am not an Apple hater. I give respect where it is due.

Rado

Use the platform that you like. No one is twisting your arm. I comfortably use both.

However, I do feel sorry for all those poor bean counters that are forced to use Windows in the corporate world. They don't have much of a choice in the matter.

My main complain with Apple apart from their retarded advertising is security and the lack of Blu Ray. But mainly security.

I agree about the lack of Blu-ray support. But how is a Mac less secure than a Windows machine?

I am just saying that Jeff's first post is a little over the top. Nothing new in the OSX Lion service pack.

Here's the full list of the 250 new or updated features in Mac OSX Lion:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

Me personally, I'd upgrade just for the Mission Control features alone. There's some very, very cool stuff in there. Can't beat it for $29. What would Microsoft charge for a similar update of Windows?

--Marc W.

Wrong.  Xerox invented the GUI!

I know. That was the joke. That's why I said "oh, wait...."

Also, I've used some of the newer apple "mice", and they can "right click". They just aren't two button. It's all kinda one big button that is touch sensitive, so it knows where on the mouse you are clicking. Personally, I've never like them, and I have always used the Kensington turbo mouse pro, or one of the logitech trackballs (I hate using a mouse in general, anyway).

My wife forgot her password on her Mac Book.

It took exactly 5 seconds to clear the password and gain root access to the files and system.

Firewall on OSX and third party software are a joke.

Not to mention when you first buy an Apple it comes out of the box with the firewall disabled.

How many apple users go and enable it when they buy????

The only program that I find OK is the Little Snitch but it takes forever to train and setup all the rules.

I see Kaspersky now making Anti-Virus for OSX. If they make a firewall as well it would be great for the OSX community.

I agree about the lack of Blu-ray support. But how is a Mac less secure than a Windows machine?

Here's the full list of the 250 new or updated features in Mac OSX Lion:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

Me personally, I'd upgrade just for the Mission Control features alone. There's some very, very cool stuff in there. Can't beat it for $29. What would Microsoft charge for a similar update of Windows?

--Marc W.

The laptop pad is what I do not like. Too damn sensitive.

I know. That was the joke. That's why I said "oh, wait...."

Also, I've used some of the newer apple "mice", and they can "right click". They just aren't two button. It's all kinda one big button that is touch sensitive, so it knows where on the mouse you are clicking. Personally, I've never like them, and I have always used the Kensington turbo mouse pro, or one of the logitech trackballs (I hate using a mouse in general, anyway).