Thread View

Jack Norflus

This would be good to know, also, it seems when I click on a topic, only the original post is displayed, everything after that is only quoted for a few words. Is there someway to view everything laid out sequentially like the old site?

This doesn't address the desire to have newer messages at the top (which I prefer, as well) but to address the issue of only the original post being displayed, you might try this... click the photo icon in the upper left corner of the page... click "Edit My Profile" at the upper right... beneath where it says "Your Options," click the "Forums" tab... and in the "Board Preferences" section, where it says "Topic Display Mode", pick the setting that works best for you. I think "Linear +" will seem most familiar to people.

Laurence

This doesn't address the desire to have newer messages at the top (which I prefer, as well) but to address the issue of only the original post being displayed, you might try this... click the photo icon in the upper left corner of the page... click "Edit My Profile" at the upper right... beneath where it says "Your Options," click the "Forums" tab... and in the "Board Preferences" section, where it says "Topic Display Mode", pick the setting that works best for you. I think "Linear +" will seem most familiar to people.

Laurence

I tried all these options but unfortunately there's no way to have it use "Linear - Oldest first" which is actually what I prefer and what most forums use.

Seems to be giving me new posts on the top now.

But as another issue it appears that posts from the past few days, including today haven't migrated over.

That's the sorry reality. I started the whole migration and conversion with the SMF (old site) database that ended around June 12th or thereabouts. Anything posted to the old site after that will not make it into the new site unless I initiated a new conversion based on current database from SMF and I'm not really up to that. The old site is still "OPEN" and if anyone thinks there is something vital left there, do a cut and paste into a new post here.

Hi

I've only viewed and logged in to this new site on my iPhone so far and it seems to work.

I look forward to trying it on a real computer.

I think a change is as good as a holiday!!!

Will there be a "recent posts" list like the old site? I personally used that the most, especially when using the site with my phone. Maybe it's there and my iPhone is not displaying it?

Also, may I suggest some sub categories, mainly under equipment, like

"lectrosonics", "zaxcom", "sound devices" etc etc

and then hopefully with distinct threads under each category, could keep the whole site more tidy?? Or is this too hard and too much to expect from everyone. Just an idea!!

Thanks yet again Jeff for doing all this for everyone, much appreciated.

Cheers

Peter Mega

I can't see the logic in having latest posts at the top of the page, I've never read like that or used any forum like that, it's counter intuitive. An option for ascending or descending would keep everyone happy.

Other than that, good work Jeff.

The topic of "oldest to newest" or "newest to oldest" is one of the longest-running debates on the internet. In newsgroups, it was "post on top" and "post on the bottom". Seems like people "can't see the logic" for the argument opposite their personal preference. Some forums offer the choice as a user setting. And some don't. And everybody lives.

Laurence

You haven't offended me, I can't speak for anyone else. I was just asking you what the protocol was, logically speaking, you seem to be the expert.......

No protocol. In a debate as old as the internet, some people have reasons to like it one way and some have reasons to like it the other way, therefore it would seem illogical to assert that only one way was logical. Unless that's illogical.

Is it logical now to tell you to fuck off and stop being a dick?

Wow, Jon, there must be some translation difficulties between our "two countries separated by a common language." I never in the least took Laurence's comments to be anything but civil discourse.

However, maybe that's because I ("illogically") prefer the newest posts on top.