Push to talk

stacysound

I want to build a mic (preferably a lav) with a push to talk switch on it. Seems straight forward. Thought I would use one of my old Lectrosonics supplied lavs.

Anyone done this? Just break the hot wire?

The real question is what switch package is best and where to get it?

I want to build a mic (preferably a lav) with a push to talk switch on it. Seems straight forward. Thought I would use one of my old Lectrosonics supplied lavs.

Any single pole normally open push button switch will work. Radio Shack has what you need and you can get a small plastic project box to mount the switch in. Breaking the hot is the way to go.

Eric

It should not be an On/Off switch as such. The one I made years ago was a large push button I put in a chassis box that sat on the table or lap of the director.

When untouched it was set to short the hot side of the mic to ground. This helps avoid Pops during the make/break process. When the button was pushed it opened the short and normal audio would flow through the cable. Works like a charm.

Jim Mansen, CAS

It should not be an On/Off switch as such. The one I made years ago was a large push button I put in a chassis box that sat on the table or lap of the director.

When untouched it was set to short the hot side of the mic to ground. This helps avoid Pops during the make/break process. When the button was pushed it opened the short and normal audio would flow through the cable. Works like a charm.

Jim Mansen, CAS

Glen Trew helped me out with a momentary switch (PTT - Push-To-Talk) that I use for my CarCom systems. It is a normally closed switch that runs pins 2 & 3 of the mic to the speaker. When NOT pushed, 2 & 3 are shorted and when pushed, signal passes properly to speaker or amp - speaker, whatever. This method does help reduce or eliminate pops.

Hi Stacy,

Is this going to be a lavaliere mic? How critical is a silent mute versus a moderate pop? Some of the suggestions posted are for a balanced line XLR style mic or for a mic that does not have bias on it. I'm trying to determine if you can do this cheaply or if you are going to have to spend some money with Lectro. (That didn't come out right, now did it.)

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Shorting it is a good idea. Still OK (Larry) if I'm going into a Lectro transmitter?

I want a switch on the mic cable. The talker will be wearing it. Suggestions?

Hi Stacy,

Is this going to be a lavaliere mic? How critical is a silent mute versus a moderate pop? Some of the suggestions posted are for a balanced line XLR style mic or for a mic that does not have bias on it. I'm trying to determine if you can do this cheaply or if you are going to have to spend some money with Lectro. (That didn't come out right, now did it.)

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Larry,

Lavaliere mic. A moderate pop is fine. Audio quality is not important. It's to talk to an IFB in ear loop for actor directions. It will be wired to work with a SM and/or 400.

My hurdle right now seems to be the right switch. I'd like it to be on the mic wire. User just reaches up to the wire, presses the button to talk.

I love to spend money with Lectro ;)

Grounding the center wire in a lavaliere mic will result in a full amplitude pop that will get you black looks from the very recently hearing impaired. You can make up a circuit as in FAQ #93. Go here http://www.lectrosonics.com/component/option,com_fss/catid,-2/view,faq/ and type in mute. FAQ #93 will pop up. This will still give you a pop but it will be small. Some of the pop is due to current leakage in the capacitor and some is due to the RF fields on the cable. This FAQ also refers you to the MUTE switch that we make. This is the best solution and uses photo resistors to silently mute the audio. It will only work with our transmitters though it can be modified probably. It is also weather resistant and can stand quite a bit of rain. It's made for referees. See http://www.lectrosonics.com/425-MUTE/View-details.html This unit comes with every thing you need.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Larry,

Lavaliere mic. A moderate pop is fine. Audio quality is not important. It's to talk to an IFB in ear loop for actor directions. It will be wired to work with a SM and/or 400.

My hurdle right now seems to be the right switch. I'd like it to be on the mic wire. User just reaches up to the wire, presses the button to talk.

I love to spend money with Lectro ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Grounding the center wire in a lavaliere mic will result in a full amplitude pop that will get you black looks from the very recently hearing impaired. You can make up a circuit as in FAQ #93. Go here http://www.lectrosonics.com/component/option,com_fss/catid,-2/view,faq/ and type in mute. FAQ #93 will pop up. This will still give you a pop but it will be small. Some of the pop is due to current leakage in the capacitor and some is due to the RF fields on the cable. This FAQ also refers you to the MUTE switch that we make. This is the best solution and uses photo resistors to silently mute the audio. It will only work with our transmitters though it can be modified probably. It is also weather resistant and can stand quite a bit of rain. It's made for referees. See http://www.lectrosonics.com/425-MUTE/View-details.html This unit comes with every thing you need.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

My two cents. Needed a no-pop solution using Lectro xmtrs, and just as I was about to give up and make one of my own, Lectro came out with their mute box. When I saw it I went into sticker shock, then looked over at my No.1 on the call sheet (already responsible for 'disappearing' two 1st ADs, one 2nd AD, one MU artist, one hair, and two PAs), as he slipped the invisity into his ear, bit the bullet and ordered the mute switch. Totally happy, never looked back, highly recommended, happy camper.

Jay