Rechargeable 9V batteries in Lectro UM400a transmitters

MatthewFreedAudio

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Matt, I use the IPower 520mAh Lithiun Ion 9V batteries for my Lectro UM400a and UM200c. With a full charge the UM400a gets about 6 to7 hours of running time and the UM200c gets about 4 to 5 hours. I can't say those are exact numbers but it is nice not lugging around boxes of Duracell Procell 9V's any more.

Keenan

And here's one of the FAQs:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/faqdb/127-089-How-do-the-rechargeable-9-Volt-iPower-batteries-compare-to-other-batteries-How-long-will-they-operate-my-unit/View-details.html

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

There is plenty of good information in the Lectro FAQ's

I had a mechanical engineer friend of mine show me some examples of how unstable they can be under heat and or being mishandled (dropped). I realize these batteries are much smaller than the ones he showed me, however the chemicals involved remain the same, therefore I feel better not putting my expensive gear or those wearing it at risk.

I would guess that your engineer friend was showing you Li Ion batteries, perhaps. Li Po (Lithium Polymer) batteries were created to overcome most of the Li Ion drawbacks.

Best,

LarryF

I had a mechanical engineer friend of mine show me some examples of how unstable they can be under heat and or being mishandled (dropped). I realize these batteries are much smaller than the ones he showed me, however the chemicals involved remain the same, therefore I feel better not putting my expensive gear or those wearing it at risk.

It's was definitely LiPo types. I was actually interested in iPower, but when I noticed they were LiPo types, it triggered a memory that I learned (as I explained previously), so I had to double check/research that technology again to be sure, and that's why I conclude I just don't trust the technology. I've had my transmitters be fairly hot to touch in certain environments, and also dropped at times, of which I've been very impressed with the durability of your products since they still function great. :)

Well, you are free to choose what you will, but lots of people have been using the IPowers sucessfully and sans explosions for years.

-JP

It's was definitely LiPo types. I was actually interested in iPower, but when I noticed they were LiPo types, it triggered a memory that I learned (as I explained previously), so I had to double check/research that technology again to be sure, and that's why I conclude I just don't trust the technology. I've had my transmitters be fairly hot to touch in certain environments, and also dropped at times, of which I've been very impressed with the durability of your products since they still function great. :)

I have heard of NO stories from real people in real-life situations regarding the LiPo being dangerous or destructive. But there are lots of stories about 9v alkaline batteries causing fires or equipment damage.

Your willingness to produce a tremendous amount of physical waste and manufacturing pollution by not embracing a new product seems a bit silly.

It's that same nonsense the oil companies try to spread about hybrid cars being bad because of the use of a battery versus spewing fumes into the air from increased burning of fossil fuels. It's just nonsense.

Robert

I have heard of NO stories from real people in real-life situations regarding the LiPo being dangerous or destructive. But there are lots of stories about 9v alkaline batteries causing fires or equipment damage.

Your willingness to produce a tremendous amount of physical waste and manufacturing pollution by not embracing a new product seems a bit silly.

It's that same nonsense the oil companies try to spread about hybrid cars being bad because of the use of a battery versus spewing fumes into the air from increased burning of fossil fuels. It's just nonsense.

Robert

whoa.. whoa.... im not trying to induce some political viewpoint here, and I'm not against using Li-Ion specific type rechargables, but after a simple search on the specific LiPo types, you can find "real world" situations that people have reported, and along with that you'll find a plethora of non-real world examples as well. I have not seen any other battery type (that I would ever use) been reported or shown to react in the way these LiPo's can... and that's the concern I have..... that's all. I don't condone the use of them for those that do use them, nor am I bashing the iPower company and it's product, I wish them well and hope they serve you well. As JP mentioned (who's comment was perfectly valid), I choose not to use that specific technology.....sorry, but don't be silly by trying to make me into some enviro terrorist please.

I've been using the iPower 9s for five years, 200+ days a year, in UMs and now HMs, with zero issues. Change them at lunch, keep the cooking all the time, very reliable. However...

Two things. An RC airplane guy on my set showed me all kinds of reports of LiPo s gone haywire. Much bigger cells, mind you. My reaction was to keep an eye on them. No issues.

The one real negative to these batteries, is they are not as green as the LIons. Apparently the polymer that is impregnated doesn't break down, and the batteries still need to be recycled to toxic waste. Upside, saved THOUSANDS of alkalines.....

The iPowers have an IC protection circuit built in that triggers on over temp, over discharge, shorts, over charging and over voltage. This pretty well protects the battery itself from customer misuse. I am sure this is not the case with RC modelers' battery use, since they tend to push the battery envelope with high charge rates and high discharge rates and also use unprotected cells. I do not remember ever hearing of an iPower battery emergency (fireworks). We are aware of problems in the plug ons with RF triggering the battery protection circuity. Early iPower units swelled on discharge and stuck in battery compartments. But these are just PITA incidents and not dangerous.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

I've been using the iPower 9s for five years, 200+ days a year, in UMs and now HMs, with zero issues. Change them at lunch, keep the cooking all the time, very reliable. However...

Two things. An RC airplane guy on my set showed me all kinds of reports of LiPo s gone haywire. Much bigger cells, mind you. My reaction was to keep an eye on them. No issues.

The one real negative to these batteries, is they are not as green as the LIons. Apparently the polymer that is impregnated doesn't break down, and the batteries still need to be recycled to toxic waste. Upside, saved THOUSANDS of alkalines.....

• 1 month later...

I hadn't noticed this thread before, I'm another confirmed iPower fan, with years of regular use and to date no explosions....

I use LIon and LiPo batteries in one of my hobbies, and tales of exploding batteries are legion, but without exception these concern homebrewed batteries, or devices using multiple cells, which if are charged differently, or are in differing conditions can cause fireworks, 1 iPower in a TX, or a properly built battery pack in your recorder is really nothing to worry about.

Count me among the folks who have been using iPowers since shortly after they first came out. I also use IDX Li-Ion NP1s on a regular basis. By the way, does anyone who's afraid of Lithium technology happen to have a cell phone in your pocket? Aren't you afraid your pants will explode?

My point, the difference between properly designed and improperly designed makes all the difference. BTW, there are many things most folks use around the household on a daily basis that can be made to explode. If your goal is to make something "blow up," it's pretty easy -- ask any 13 year old boy. If, on the other hand, one of the goals is safety, proper design, storage, and use is the key no matter whether we're talking about plain, run of the mill wheat flour (highly explosive under certain conditions), or the Lithium battery technology in your smart phone.

Hi Nicole,

Like every other NiMh 9 Volt, the Eveready has fairly low capacity at 175 mAh. The iPowers are more than twice that capacity at 450 mAh.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Instead of starting new thread I will post here. Anyone using/used the Energizer Rechargeable 9V battery? Want to go the rechargeable battery route and was curious. If not seems everyone does give the ipower 9V a thumbs up.

Thanks

Nicole

In 2007, I introduced sound mixer Pawel Wdowczak to iPowers before the shoot of "The Darjeeling Limited". At my behest, he bought a bunch of them and a couple of chargers with the rest of his gear to India. We did not use a SINGLE Duracell for this shoot - daily basis 4-6 wireless Tx going out. 60 days of shoot...

Later in 2007, I purchased a bunch of them myself and still continue to use them. Some have died, but that is nothing compared to the amount of Duracells I would have used over all the shoots since 2007. I have in fact had Duracell Professional PROCELL 9V crap out on me, fresh from the box... (2005 shoot on Italian feature). With the iPowers, taken fresh out of the charger, I have had not ONE premature failure so far.

Secondly, i found that the iPowers lasted longer than Duracells in my Lectro UM and LM and also the UH400a Tx. They still do. Have not seen the sight of a 9V Duracell in my shoots, 4 years and counting...

I have some of the Ver 2.x - 520 mAh ones, have used a few, but yet to use all of them.

-vin

PS: I made a simple way to avoid the wall wart - i have an 19Ah SLA battery pack on my cart (yes, only 18Ah because of the Cantar and Lectro Sixpack having their own powering) and it goes through a PSC CartPower 12V DC distro. One output goes to the iPower charger - XLR4M to DC plug. Heh, my big battery charges my small batteries...