Rechargeable 9V batteries in Lectro UM400a transmitters

MatthewFreedAudio

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of wall warts... Anyone found a reasonable replacement for the OEM iPower AC adaptors? Checked with a retailer and apparently, iPower won't sell them.

I think I'm on charger #3 simply to get a power adaptor replacement.

Cheers,

Rich

That's kinda odd, since I had one break the output wire right at the wall wart strain relief.

I emailed Richard and asked if I could buy just the wall wart and he sent me one for free. The postage from Canada to the US was probably more than what the wall wart cost.

Thumbs up to Richard...

That's kinda odd, since I had one break the output wire right at the wall wart strain relief.

I emailed Richard and asked if I could buy just the wall wart and he sent me one for free. The postage from Canada to the US was probably more than what the wall wart cost.

Thumbs up to Richard...

I had the same thing happen. I rely on my iPowers and needed a quick solution so I split open the casing (razor knife along the seam) and there was enough wire in there to splice it back together. I was able to reassemble everything including the strain relief which I had to cut apart. I used electrical tape instead of glue to hold everything together. If it breaks again it'll be easy to get apart. Regarding other 9 volt rechareables: Be careful that they aren't slightly oversized. One tv station that bought another brand of rechargeable got some stuck in their gear.

Bernie

Thumbs up to Richard...

Cool. I'll call the manufactur--, uh, the distributor!

Cheers,

Rich

Good day chaps.

Here in South Africa I use all the Lithium I can get from Europe and the states.

I think that the efficiency you get in a days work out of the technology is valuable.

Piece of mind is priceless !

I wanted to know if anyone has invented a AA version of the ipower yet ? I have 3 sets of g3 units that I currently use on HD cameras for scratch mixes or for IFB. thats 1 transmitter and 3 recievers. Thats 8 AA every +-6 hours. So on feature work my car, trolley and bags get polluted with used AA batteries.

Is there a solution?

I also have a IDX charger with 4 np1's and 3x Deep cycle 40amp hour marine batteries for the cart and about 12 ipower 9V batteries. All this keeps me going even if the turn around time/ charge time between shoot days become less than 8 hours.

thanks

Greg Albert

From Cape Town

I'm pretty sure that the G2/R units cannot be powered externerly. Jonathan are thos batteries true 1.5V? Cause most of those system are 1.2 that I found. - can you send me the address for that place in milnerton? Oh and just to let you know too my 788 still hasn't arrived! I feel that the sonosax maybe was the better choice. Oh well next year maybe.

I run my G2s on PowerEx AA rechargeables and they last all day (at least 12 hours). I use them for camera scratch track and wireless boom talkback.

For my 9volt Lectros, iPowers... for the AA Lectros I use PowerEx and a few other brands of high capacity AA. The only time I use disposable lithiums if i REALLY need the extra life.

I have used the iPower 520mAh in my Lectros with good results for about six months now. They last for about 6 hours.

I use Sanyo Eneloop 1500 AA's and charge them with Maha Powerex (which is also a battery analyzer and tells me the Eneloops are about 2000mAh). Last week I did a 12 hour shoot with these AA's in my SD442 and left it on pretty much the whole time. The next day, I decided to test how much juice was left (usually, I just re-charge regardless of how long the day has been). I plugged in the 416 with phantom on and plugged in the headphones turned up about halfway (12 o'clock). I randomly turned on tone once in a while, and powered the mixer off and back on a few times. It took about 5 hours before getting to where the low battery flashing kicked in. So in other words 4 of these AAs ran the 442 for a total of about 16-17 hours. Pretty good, I'll say.

• 7 months later...

Furher to the whole I-Power question,

I bought my first yellow rack of these little beauties a couple of years back, and I agree they are fantastic. I have about 20 of them now at various ages and rather than throwing good ones out I want to know how to identify the dud ones.

Does any one have a dependable test of the state of any given battery though?

I think any battery should be tested under load, so a volt meter alone isn't gonna cut it.

I've been to my local Jay-Car (Australian Radio Shack equiv.) they have battery testers but they don'y list Li-Po as being "testable"

Jerry.

Does any one have a dependable test of the state of any given battery though?

When a battery begins to give out sooner than usual. this, of course means keeping track of them in some fashion, like numbering and dating them (see the battery bottom)

Some power users (TV stations, networks, daily shows, news departments, etc)date them, and then just routinely replace them at certain time intervals (YMMV), the most cumbersome method would be keeping logs of the number of uses and disposing of them after a certain (YMMV) number of uses.

How to test a 9V for capacity:

Use a Lectro Tx/Rx with a lav connected, the Rx output to any DAW (Pro Tools/Audacity etc that can record for hours continuously). Start the REC on the DAW the moment you switch on the Tx. Go do anything you want to, and when you get back to the DAW, you will see how long the Tx has been transmitting and when it went out. Any DAW will give you the duration of the clip accurate enough to decide the capacity of the 9V under usual load.

If you want to, you can repeat the test twice for each 9V battery.

IMHO, this is an easy way to get a real check, without having to keep your eyes on the Tx.

-vin