I'm confused. Which Lectro to buy???

Michael Miramontes

Ok, I'm still a newbie and I'm lost when it comes to which Lectro system to buy. I'm looking for something used/ebay'ish since that is all I can afford right now. I've seen a lot of great deals for used equipment but I'm not sure which system is right for my application. I've been doing location sound work for my friends Indy films and I'm currently using an Edirol-R44 as my primary recorder. I've been getting by using my Sennheiser G1's but I'm embarrassed busting them out the more I learn about sound. So, can you guys please give me some insight as to which Lectro system to buy for a beginner type setup? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Beginner get Sennheiser G3 and change the lav to a countryman EMW.

Ok, I'm still a newbie and I'm lost when it comes to which Lectro system to buy. I'm looking for something used/ebay'ish since that is all I can afford right now. I've seen a lot of great deals for used equipment but I'm not sure which system is right for my application. I've been doing location sound work for my friends Indy films and I'm currently using an Edirol-R44 as my primary recorder. I've been getting by using my Sennheiser G1's but I'm embarrassed busting them out the more I learn about sound. So, can you guys please give me some insight as to which Lectro system to buy for a beginner type setup? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

What's your budget?

I'm hoping to stay under $800 for a transmitter/receiver setup. So, I'm stuck searching the net for a great deal on some used Lectros. I'd like to spend more but I can't justify the expense to the type of gigs I'm doing just yet.

But, like Rado had mentioned previously, I just might spring for some G3's for now. I'm just hoping I can get lucky on someone dumping some decent Lectros for cheap. ;-)

I'm hoping to stay under $800 for a transmitter/receiver setup. So, I'm stuck searching the net for a great deal on some used Lectros. I'd like to spend more but I can't justify the expense to the type of gigs I'm doing just yet.

But, like Rado had mentioned previously, I just might spring for some G3's for now. I'm just hoping I can get lucky on someone dumping some decent Lectros for cheap. ;-)

Decent lectros are not cheap even on ebay.

You can buy 2 LMa for $1300 and an SRa reciever for $2200

Cheapest solution. Brand New.

I would advise you to buy a g3 with emw lav and if you need Lectro you can rent for $80-$90 a channel.

Eric and Rado,

thanks for the info guys. I think I will just go with the G3's and EMW until I get more experience.

BTW Rado,

SOrry for not picking up your 744T after all. I had an unexpected expense that wiped out my funds for a few weeks. I had seen that you already sold it though....drats! I missed out. ;(

Senator,

yes, I see your point and totally agree. But I've noticed on some sets I've been on the Producer, DP, and everyone else who doesn't know squat about sound feels a bit more comfortable knowing their sound guy has the "standard equipment" that is widely recognized by everyone and mainly used by professionals. Maybe when I get better I'll get over this equipment complex I have right now.

"I've noticed on some sets "

really?? How so?? I suspect it might be your imagination (and desire for newer gear) at work...

I'm with the others here who are suggesting you gradually add to your gear with upgrades as needed

upgrading the lav mic's is a good first step, and the 'better' lav's will later work with the newer wireless you will acquire.

"I've noticed on some sets "

really?? How so?? I suspect it might be your imagination (and desire for newer gear) at work...

I'm with the others here who are suggesting you gradually add to your gear with upgrades as needed

upgrading the lav mic's is a good first step, and the 'better' lav's will later work with the newer wireless you will acquire.

On one gig I was on the DP scoffed at the Fostex FR2LE when I busted it out to snag the audio. Most other times when I'm bidding a job I'm asked what equipment I'm bringing to the table. You're right, it could be my imagination or maybe just a producer wanting to hear me say SoundDevices so they feel comfortable hiring me. In any case, having the better stuff will solve both these issues. ;-)

Thanks for the tip on buying the better lavs first. I wasn't sure what part to upgrade and this makes more sense. It would be silly of me to use an ME2 on a better wireless unit.

You can look up what prices are from rental houses. If you are not getting anything near that ballpark, then the job doesn't deserve shiny new Lectros. You shouldn't go broke working. If some jerk camera op mocks your kit, then you can calmly tell them that's all that was in the budget. If a specific job wants the Lectros, you can rent sets for the day (depending on where you live).

I don't know about the G3s, but in 2006 I bought 2 sets of G2s for about $900 ($450 each). They had issues at times, but they were very much in line with the rates I was getting. Definite case of getting what you pay for. That being said, I wouldn't sell them off. I don't use them for wireless mics anymore, but they are a really great camera scratch track (sound way better than my Comteks), or for IFB or a bunch of other uses.

I do agree that upgrading the mic is significant. I had one of the stock mics wrecked (forget the model number), and upgraded to a B6 and it made a huge difference in sound quality. If I was redoing it today, I would probably go with the EMW. Depending on your usual jobs, the EMW can be VERY useful. It sounds pretty good, is pretty durable and they have a very competitive price. I keep a could in my kit for my Lectros.

Check out Trewaudio.com consignment page for really great deals on used wireless systems and lav's. You can really rake in some huge savings on some of those used lav's. I would also trust what you get on consignment from that site more than from ebay. I got along pretty well with my g2's until i found some great deals on used lectro's.

I'm going to tag along on this thread....

What's the next best step after Sennheisers?

I've owned G2s and G3s for a couple of years now. I have used various Lectros either rented or provided by the production company, so I am familiar with how they work and their capabilities.

I think the SRa receiver is the best bet, just one or 2 boxes in my bag vs 2 or 4.

The big question is, can I use an SRa with my Senneheiser Txs? I know the old school Lectro Txs will work with Sennheiser Rxs, but not sure on the reverse.

That way I could ease into it instead of dropping $5k at once.

The advantage to that would be running the Rx off my battery system and not having to rent a Rx for when I do need to rent Lectros.

Any ideas, opinions, experiences with that setup?

" I know the old school Lectro Txs will work with Sennheiser Rxs, but not sure on the reverse. "

properly??

I suspect you know incorrectly.

As to alternatives, there are a lot, but generally, for highly portable battery operated, options, there aren't many popular options between the Sennheiser Evolution Wireless systems and the Lectrosonics digital hybrid series.

Lectro is the next and arguably final step after sennheiser.

If you want to get a SRa reciever just buy 2 LMa TX.

The SRa does not have a front end tracking like 411a but if you research and choose your block wisely it would not be a big factor.

The LMa sounds exactly the same as UM400a with shorter range since it is about 70mw TX and it is a GREAT DEAL.

Use freq coordination and:

i can not stress enough: TRY THE BLOCKS in your local rental house or dealer before you buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not relay on what other people are saying.

I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO MAKE THAT MESTAKE.

My advice is buy the gear instead of renting.

I evaluated all the cash I have dropped for renting lectro around $80 a channel.

If you rent 2 channels for 5 days is around $800.

2 LMa and 1 SRa are around $3300.

Also when you own you can charge productions around $250-$300 for rental on top of your labor charge.

10 days charging for rental is around $2500 - $3000 which will cover your purchase.

So IMHO if you buy you benefit more.

I'm going to tag along on this thread....

What's the next best step after Sennheisers?

I've owned G2s and G3s for a couple of years now. I have used various Lectros either rented or provided by the production company, so I am familiar with how they work and their capabilities.

I think the SRa receiver is the best bet, just one or 2 boxes in my bag vs 2 or 4.

The big question is, can I use an SRa with my Senneheiser Txs? I know the old school Lectro Txs will work with Sennheiser Rxs, but not sure on the reverse.

That way I could ease into it instead of dropping $5k at once.

The advantage to that would be running the Rx off my battery system and not having to rent a Rx for when I do need to rent Lectros.

Any ideas, opinions, experiences with that setup?

" Do not relay on what other people are saying. "

perhaps that is a little over the top ??

" The LMa sounds exactly the same as UM400a with shorter range since it is about 70mw TX " & " Use freq coordination "

this based on 4 days experience?

this sounds to me to be an example of someone portending to be a great "FAT CAT" archer who knows all about the arrows to use. For a couple ENG systems, heavy duty coordination is not needed; a simple procedure for turning on and off the units covers the possibilities of most intermod (which is usually with your own systems and which occurs when you have more than two systems in proximity.

" I'm looking for something used/ebay'ish " + "currently using an Edirol-R44 as my primary recorder "

and you reply: " 2 LMa and 1 SRa are around $3300. " again, you did not understand, he is looking for something a little lower...probably used... I'm also reasoning that the OP would be interested in upgrading mixer and recorder before needing to invest in high end wireless, even used.

" all the cash I have dropped for renting lectro "

Weren't you at least reimbursed?? I'll bet more than reimbursed, you made a mark-up and didn't have to deal with a lot of headaches that go with owning the wireless system, (including the issues you are dealing with right now!)

The fact that LMa sounds exactly the same as UM400a is based on my conversation with LARRY FISHER.

He said he is interested in SRa and I have not seen SRa for sale on Ebay.

I am not pretending to be a fat cat. On the contrary I made a lot of mistakes and would like to spare other people doing the same

I was reimbursed but it covered my rental.

As I said IMHO buying makes more sense then renting.

It is my personal opinion.

I am not saying it is the right decision for everybody.

" Do not relay on what other people are saying. "

perhaps that is a little over the top ??

" The LMa sounds exactly the same as UM400a with shorter range since it is about 70mw TX "

this based on 4 days experience?

this sounds to me to be an example of someone portending to be a great "FAT CAT" archer who knows all about the arrows to use.

" I'm looking for something used/ebay'ish " + "currently using an Edirol-R44 as my primary recorder "

and you reply: " 2 LMa and 1 SRa are around $3300. " again, you did not understand, he is looking for something a little lower...

" all the cash I have dropped for renting lectro "

Weren't you at least reimbursed?? I'll bet more than reimbursed, you made a mark-up and didn't have to deal with a lot of headaches that go with owning the wireless system, (including the ones you are going through right now!)

properly??

I suspect you know incorrectly.

I've seen it done, so I know correctly.

UHF is UHF after all, the only problem I would see is the compandor circuit on the G3s.

Lectro even says it may work...

Direct quote from a Lectro data sheet

"Compatibility with earlier analog Lectrosonics receivers and even some receiver models from other manufacturers is provided by custom firmware emulations built into the DSP code."

The SRa even has a compatibility mode for "certain non- Lectrosonics transmitters." So it may work, I'm looking for some direct experience before I decide to go that route.

But then I guess I could just contact Lectro, as I know that's going to be answer I'll get in a post or 2 ;D

" you own you can charge productions around $250-$300 for rental on top of your labor charge.

10 days charging for rental is around $2500 - $3000 which will cover your purchase. "

But if he has not just completed a well paid month on a reality show, and does not have the funds..?? If one does not have a rich wife, and charges on a credit card, there is interest , an expense, to pay...

OTOH, renting for a sound mixer discount rate at about $1750-2000 / 10, and collecting $2500-3000 / 10 from the production company..??

"is based on my conversation with LARRY FISHER " but you saud: " Do not relay (sic) on what other people are saying. ", and you did not cite any (knowledgable, well placed) source.

Finally, for now, of course buying makes sense for a lot of folks, which I did not disagree with,

Edited by studiomprd