Lectrosonics

JboB

Hi Bob,

The servo wiring is generally simpler and makes the inside of the TA5F's easier to wire. Sound wise there is no difference.

Best,

LarryF

Lecro

Looking to find some feedback and experience with the new servo wiring. Is it better, over rated?

If I have SM transmitters, and dont need the universal wiring, is "servo only" a clear choice?

I personally don't like the universal wiring so I have mics wired for servo only and others wired for the older wiring scheme only.

Although I can't mix and match transmitters and mics any more, I prefer the dedicated wiring's.

I've tried the universal wiring but IMO, doesn't sound as good as the servo only wiring. The universal wiring sounds a bit "edgy".

If I didn't own a mix of older and newer transmitters, I would use the servo only wiring.

Another thing to remember is the universal wiring changes a 3 wire mic like the sanken cos11 to a 2 wire configuration and also flips the phase.

As Larry suggests, I also can't hear any significant difference between the older wiring scheme and the servo only scheme.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Hi Bob,

The servo wiring is generally simpler and makes the inside of the TA5F's easier to wire. Sound wise there is no difference.

Best,

LarryF

Lecro

What about overloading? I read that its more difficult to overload the servo only wiring? Is that correct, or did I read bogus information?

I personally don't like the universal wiring so I have mics wired for servo only and others wired for the older wiring scheme only.

Although I can't mix and match transmitters and mics any more, I prefer the dedicated wiring's.

I've tried the universal wiring but IMO, doesn't sound as good as the servo only wiring. The universal wiring sounds a bit "edgy".

If I didn't own a mix of older and newer transmitters, I would use the servo only wiring.

Another thing to remember is the universal wiring changes a 3 wire mic like the sanken cos11 to a 2 wire configuration and also flips the phase.

As Larry suggests, I also can't hear any significant difference between the older wiring scheme and the servo only scheme.

Cheers

Peter Mega

So for a SM Tx and sanken cos11, does flipping the phase cause issues?

You also said you can hear more of an edgy sound with the uni wiring, but nothing significant correct?

So for a SM Tx and sanken cos11, does flipping the phase cause issues?

You also said you can hear more of an edgy sound with the uni wiring, but nothing significant correct?

The phase flip is easily reversed either in the receiver or mixer.

However, I suspect the "edginess" is because of the 2 wire scheme.

I believe technically it's better to keep a 3 wire mic as a 3 wire mic which the servo only scheme does for the cos11.

But yes, the edgy sound is nothing major and it's quite possible that I'm too fussy. An untrained ear may never hear it.

The phase flip is easily reversed either in the receiver or mixer.

However, I suspect the "edginess" is because of the 2 wire scheme.

I believe technically it's better to keep a 3 wire mic as a 3 wire mic which the servo only scheme does for the cos11.

But yes, the edgy sound is nothing major and it's quite possible that I'm too fussy. An untrained ear may never hear it.

Ok, I thought servo was 2 wire and the standard was 3 wire. Am I mistaken?

Think I figured it out. Red/Black dot and servo/non. Spoke w/ Rich at prosound, great guy.

Thanks Peter, you reconfirmed my initial investigation in which way to go.

Cheers!

Think I figured it out. Red/Black dot and servo/non. Spoke w/ Rich at prosound, great guy.

Thanks Peter, you reconfirmed my initial investigation in which way to go.

Cheers!

No worries, glad to help.

I thought I'd better make it clear that if you're using the mics in any servo bias TX, like UM400a, any SM, LMa, you only have 2 choices. Universal or servo only wiring.

If you intend on using your lavs with older TX's like UM400, UM200C AND newer servo bias input TX's, you would need the UNIV wiring.

If you are only using the lavs in servo bias TX's, the "servo only" wiring would be better suited.

Dont try using a lav wired with the older wiring scheme in a servo bias TX or visa versa. The results are unacceptable IMO.

Cheers

Peter Mega

any SM, UM400a, LMa (all servo bias inputs) transmitters can use either, UNIVERSAL wiring or SERVO ONLY wiring.

SERVO ONLY wiring uses a 3 wire scheme eg Sanken COS11

UNIVERSAL wiring uses a 2 wire scheme and flips the phase eg Sanken COS11

UM400, UM200C transmitters can use either, UNIVERSAL wiring or the OLDER wiring scheme

OLDER wiring scheme uses a 3 wire scheme eg Sanken COS11

Please see here http://www.lectrosonics.com/component/option,com_fss/Itemid,81/catid,4/kbartid,10/view,kb/

for UNIV and SERVO ONLY wiring

and here http://www.lectrosonics.com/images/Manuals/um400man.pdf

page 13 for OLDER wiring

Note that some lav manufacturers make lavs that are only 2 wire to begin with, just to make matters more confusing!!

Hope this helps.

LarryF, please correct me if my information is inaccurate, I'd hate to be misinforming everyone.

Thanks

Peter Mega

Hi Peter,

There is one line that confused me as to what you meant: "SERVO ONLY wiring uses a 3 wire scheme eg Sanken COS11". I think using the internal 2.7k resistor load on our pin 5 is the confusion. The reason the Servo Only configuration looks like a 3 wire setup is that we bring the third wire to our pin 5 internal resistor and use that resistor instead of having to build it into the TA5F. The servo only wiring for the COS-11 is still a 2 wire setup in the sense that we convert the COS-11, 3 wire setup to a 2 wire configuration. So, in sum, all lavalieres have to be converted to a 2 wire configuration for the Servo Input system. All 2 wire setups are actually 3 wire setups that are "converted" inside the lavaliere itself to a two wire configuration, exactly as we do externally.Also, 99% of the electrets lavalieres out there are a two wire configuration: DPA, Sennheiser, Countryman, Sony, Lectro, and so on. It is just in the sound mixer universe, that there is a very popular 3 wire mic, the COS-11. The DPA is a two wire mic but is a special case requiring a series current limiting resistor.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

any SM, UM400a, LMa (all servo bias inputs) transmitters can use either, UNIVERSAL wiring or SERVO ONLY wiring.

SERVO ONLY wiring uses a 3 wire scheme eg Sanken COS11

UM400, UM200C transmitters can use either, UNIVERSAL wiring or the OLDER wiring scheme

OLDER wiring scheme uses a 3 wire scheme eg Sanken COS11

Please see here http://www.lectroson...tid,10/view,kb/

for UNIV and SERVO ONLY wiring

and here http://www.lectroson...ls/um400man.pdf

page 13 for OLDER wiring

Note that some lav manufacturers make lavs that are only 2 wire to begin with, just to make matters more confusing!!

Hope this helps.

LarryF, please correct me if my information is inaccurate, I'd hate to be misinforming everyone.

Thanks

Peter Mega

Hi Peter,

There is one line that confused me as to what you meant: "SERVO ONLY wiring uses a 3 wire scheme eg Sanken COS11". I think using the internal 2.7k resistor load on our pin 5 is the confusion. The reason the Servo Only configuration looks like a 3 wire setup is that we bring the third wire to our pin 5 internal resistor and use that resistor instead of having to build it into the TA5F. The servo only wiring for the COS-11 is still a 2 wire setup in the sense that we convert the COS-11, 3 wire setup to a 2 wire configuration. So, in sum, all lavalieres have to be converted to a 2 wire configuration for the Servo Input system. All 2 wire setups are actually 3 wire setups that are "converted" inside the lavaliere itself to a two wire configuration, exactly as we do externally.Also, 99% of the electrets lavalieres out there are a two wire configuration: DPA, Sennheiser, Countryman, Sony, Lectro, and so on. It is just in the sound mixer universe, that there is a very popular 3 wire mic, the COS-11. The DPA is a two wire mic but is a special case requiring a series current limiting resistor.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks for clarifying Larry, great to have you here to tell us these things.

Apologies to everyone for any confusion I may have caused.

Regards

Peter Mega