Am I missing messages, or is it just a slow week?

Jim Feeley

Seems like this week I'm seeing way fewer posts on JWS. And it seems that when I click on "View New Content" in the upper-right of the main page, I don't always get all the new content. The problem might be "between seat and keyboard" as my IT friends say.

But has anyone else felt that they aren't seeing all the new content on JWS during a daily (or 2X/day visit)?

Or is it just a slow week on the board (and hopefully a busy work week for everyone)?

Best -Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having this issue?

I click on the "View New Content" button on the upper-right part of the main page, and I'm shown some---but not all---of the posts made since my last visit (I usually visit the group 0.5x to 2x per day). But sometimes, in fact more often than not, the discussions that show up in the "Additional Content" sidebar do not appear in the page generated when I click "View New Content."

What's up with that? Is there anything I can do? Is it some odd IP.Board problem? Something else?

Thanks -Jim

Is anyone else having this issue?

I click on the "View New Content" button on the upper-right part of the main page, and I'm shown some---but not all---of the posts made since my last visit (I usually visit the group 0.5x to 2x per day). But sometimes, in fact more often than not, the discussions that show up in the "Additional Content" sidebar do not appear in the page generated when I click "View New Content."

What's up with that? Is there anything I can do? Is it some odd IP.Board problem? Something else?

Thanks -Jim

It is a little squirrly the way "VNC" (View New Content) works with IP.Board and as it relates the the "Additional Content" hook in the sidebar (misnamed also --- still searching for the way to change that title). "Additional Content" shows Topics that have been recently started and Topics which have recent posts or replies in them I believe. It is not User specific. The "VNC" button does track each individual member's activity by the use of cookies in your browser. It is not a perfect system and it can be disrupted if you don't refresh the page, for example, or you have logged in then out, then back in, etc. "VNC" is also subject to a personal preference which you set in My Settings > General Settings > Search Settings > View New Content Method > choose either "Show me all new content since my last visit" or "Show me all content I have not read".

This is all going to change when IP.Board v. 3.2 comes out (major upgrade) since one of the things that has been totally re-done is the View New Content tracking. For those who really get into fine tuning this stuff you will be able to set things up like "show me every new post or reply since yesterday at 2:30 pm from the Senator and mark it ignored" stuff like that.

It is a little squirrly the way "VNC" (View New Content) works with IP.Board and as it relates the the "Additional Content" hook in the sidebar (misnamed also --- still searching for the way to change that title). "Additional Content" shows Topics that have been recently started and Topics which have recent posts or replies in them I believe. It is not User specific. The "VNC" button does track each individual member's activity by the use of cookies in your browser. It is not a perfect system and it can be disrupted if you don't refresh the page, for example, or you have logged in then out, then back in, etc. "VNC" is also subject to a personal preference which you set in My Settings > General Settings > Search Settings > View New Content Method > choose either "Show me all new content since my last visit" or "Show me all content I have not read".

This is all going to change when IP.Board v. 3.2 comes out (major upgrade) since one of the things that has been totally re-done is the View New Content tracking. For those who really get into fine tuning this stuff you will be able to set things up like "show me every new post or reply since yesterday at 2:30 pm from the Senator and mark it ignored" stuff like that.

Wow! All of a sudden there's multiple pages I haven't read yet. Thanks Jeff :)

Jeff,

It sounds like the update (can't come soon enough) may fix the number one problem I've found with this board. I sure hope so. Even when it's working correctly (which, as you know better than anyone, it isn't fully, yet), the number one problem has shifted my JWS modus-operandi considerably.

When I'm busy (and that's a good thing), I seldom have time to digest all the posts of a busy topic in one visit. I'll pop in and out to JWS on breaks, moments of dispair, when the urge strikes me, etc. The way the board currently works, if I look at a busy topic and read a post or two, the next time I visit the board, the topic is no longer on my listing. Since I have opened that topic, the board assumes that I have read and replied to everything I wished to in that topic and it no longer shows up -- well, the board's wrong!

How I find that changing my JWS habits is that, with this new system, I have been bypassing most of the topics with a high volume of responses, leaving those until "I have time to digest the whole thing and post any comments I may have." That time doesn't usually come. Also, even if I read all the messages in a given topic, but want to actually consider it a bit prior to spurting out any tidbits I decide to contribute, the topic is no longer on my listing when I return.

So, going back to a system that shows the 30, 50, (or viewer's choice) most recent posts -- whether or not the threads have been visited -- is by far a better system, in my opinion.

Between that and having the PM system arbitrarily telling people I've blocked them from PM-ing me, so far I much prefer the previous incarnation of JWS. If those two things could fixed I'd be more agnostic about which board system JWS employs.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Jeff,

It sounds like the update (can't come soon enough) may fix the number one problem I've found with this board. I sure hope so. Even when it's working correctly (which, as you know better than anyone, it isn't fully, yet), the number one problem has shifted my JWS modus-operandi considerably.

When I'm busy (and that's a good thing), I seldom have time to digest all the posts of a busy topic in one visit. I'll pop in and out to JWS on breaks, moments of dispair, when the urge strikes me, etc. The way the board currently works, if I look at a busy topic and read a post or two, the next time I visit the board, the topic is no longer on my listing. Since I have opened that topic, the board assumes that I have read and replied to everything I wished to in that topic and it no longer shows up -- well, the board's wrong!

Well, I'm sorry to hear that our new site is functioning so poorly for one of our veteran members here. I can certainly understand what a drag it is to find that you have had to alter your participation here on the new site because it functions so differently than the old site. The update for IP.Board will not be available for at least a month and I'm not sure it will solve the problems you are experiencing. I would like to ask for clarification when you say you come back to a Topic after reading some of the posts and replies and it is "no longer on my listing", I'm not sure what listing that is. Also, understanding that you have already altered your habits on this new site, there may be routines that you can employ here that were not even available on the old site. Have you tried using the "Watch this topic" and then setting your notifications to help you check back in on a topic you are following? I'm the worst person to discover any of these things because my habits on this site (since I am the creator, moderator, guardian and host) are totally different than most members --- I read everything and have somehow not had a problem remembering where I left off, what I have read and responded to, etc.

I hope things improve in the future, I certainly will be working every day to try and make things function smoothly for everyone.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that our new site is functioning so poorly for one of our veteran members here. I can certainly understand what a drag it is to find that you have had to alter your participation here on the new site because it functions so differently than the old site. The update for IP.Board will not be available for at least a month and I'm not sure it will solve the problems you are experiencing. I would like to ask for clarification when you say you come back to a Topic after reading some of the posts and replies and it is "no longer on my listing", I'm not sure what listing that is. Also, understanding that you have already altered your habits on this new site, there may be routines that you can employ here that were not even available on the old site. Have you tried using the "Watch this topic" and then setting your notifications to help you check back in on a topic you are following? I'm the worst person to discover any of these things because my habits on this site (since I am the creator, moderator, guardian and host) are totally different than most members --- I read everything and have somehow not had a problem remembering where I left off, what I have read and responded to, etc.

I hope things improve in the future, I certainly will be working every day to try and make things function smoothly for everyone.

I know you've been working hard on it which is why I've hesitated to say anything prior to this.

The two options I'm aware of here are "show all content since last visit" and "show all content I've not read."

So, the "...last visit" setting only shows topics that have responses that have been added subsequent to a previous visit. The "...I've not read" setting lists all the topics that have not been visited by the viewer. However, if there is a topic that contains, let's say, twelve responses, including a couple of thoughtful long ones, and someone pops in and reads the first couple of posts and leaves the site, the system marks the entire topic as having been read and it no longer shows up in the "...I've not read" topic list. It's an "all or nothing at all" system.

That's why a listing of the last X number of posts in chronological order based on the most recent post, is (IMO) by far a better system. For someone who takes the time during each visit to devour every post in a topic and then think about it, then compose and post any responses or comments during that visit, this system would work fine. My "real world" doesn't function like that. I doubt that I'm alone on this. I know at least one other frequent participant voiced the issue early on, but at the time I think you were swamped with basic digital house-keeping chores.

Thanks.

When you're viewing a topic, the forum can't know that you want to return to that page later, but if you know that, just drag the page's tab up to your browser's Personal Toolbar and finish reading later. I keep a temp folder up there in the personal toolbar and put all kinds of stuff in there for later review. This board may soon have a feature that will let you review content added in the last hour or half-day or whatever, which sounds similar to what you're asking for, but that has drawbacks, since you'd keep seeing many of the items you've already read.

another vote for the old style "recent posts" list. I was just looking for a thread I knew someone contributed just recently. But since I had visited that thread already it wasn´t on my "new content" any longer and so it took quite a while to find it again. It would have been on the "recent post" list and easy to find on the old jws.

Matthias

another vote for the old style "recent posts" list. I was just looking for a thread I knew someone contributed just recently. But since I had visited that thread already it wasn´t on my "new content" any longer and so it took quite a while to find it again. It would have been on the "recent post" list and easy to find on the old jaws.

Matthias

There will definitely be a way, hopefully sooner rather than later, to have list of let's say 15 of the most recent posts. IP.Board uses a system they call "hooks" to determine what is to be displayed in, for example, the sidebar we now have that lists Recent Topics (or whatever it is listing). If this sidebar would show a list of 15 of the most recent posts (and it looks like it can have a little excerpt of the content as well) that would be useful for everyone, right?

When I can find a way to program these hooks we might well have a partial solution to this dilemma.

Let's say "shut the f**k up"

Yes, I think the sidebar idea would help.

While more than 15 would be even better, your above response gave me my Laugh Of The Day. Thanks.

Here's a smaller suggested improvement (much smaller): Is there a way to put the "Add Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons immediately below the composition window? Not a big deal but it would mean less scrolling.

Thanks.

I think I have done it --- Latest Discussions list in the sidebar. At this point it is quite ugly (I'll work on that) but it looks as if it displays the most recent 15 posts from most recent to the oldest. I have set it, I think, to only show the LAST post in any given Topic, though I think it can be set to display all posts to all topics. I think that would be a little much. We'll see if this does the trick for those who were longing for the list we had at the old site (I miss it too!).