Track Names in Pro Tools, Audacity, Soundtrack Pro, FCP

Jeff Babb

I just worked a reality show with several isolated tracks. In 788t and Deva 4 each track is named. Wave Agent reads the track names correctly so I know they're there. When I open the files in any post production sound program the tracks are not named. Is there a way to get them to show?

Pro Tools automatically uses whatever the file name is. Not too sure how to get Pro Tools to use the metadata instead for track naming.

The File Name is intact but Pro Tools names the tracks Audio 1, Audio 2, etc. instead of John, Sally, Boom, Mix etc.

Dominique - Wave Agent can do all that. It's a free download from Sound Devices. Very helpful program.

Protools can see the metadata on your BWF files. Take a poly file, imported into protools (which splits it to 4 mono tracks), and drag one of the resulting files' - say A1 onto a track. You can right click and find alternates, which will be shown with the track name you gave it on the recorder. You can also expand alternates to additional tracks, which will put all the remaining regions on new tracks under the original region. This works with my 744T, directly into protools. I have not tried this method through an edit program, so I can comment on that.

Well, ... if time permits I usually have my regions display "channel name", so if for say I label my tracks on my Fusion when in production, these ID's will carry though perfectly. At that point I just label the tracks manually in regards to the ID's displayed on the region in that track.

In Pro Tools, channel name = track names from SD/DEVAS I've noticed. Hope that helps.

The File Name is intact but Pro Tools names the tracks Audio 1, Audio 2, etc. instead of John, Sally, Boom, Mix etc.

Zack gave you good info for seeing your names you gave during recording production sound within particular REGIONS. But it sounds like you want the actual TRACK in Pro Tools to say John, Sally, Boom, Mix.

No, you can't automatically do that. Any new track created in Pro Tools defaults to being named Audio 1, Audio 2, etc. You'll have to name your Pro Tools tracks manually.

Brian

Zack gave you good info for seeing your names you gave during recording production sound within particular REGIONS. But it sounds like you want the actual TRACK in Pro Tools to say John, Sally, Boom, Mix.

No, you can't automatically do that. Any new track created in Pro Tools defaults to being named Audio 1, Audio 2, etc. You'll have to name your Pro Tools tracks manually.

Brian

This is true of every DAW I've ever seen. I think what is being discussed is FILE naming, not TRACK naming (as those terms are used in post).

phil p

It only does the default "Audio 1" etc if you create a new track from scratch.

I assume he is importing the regions and selecting the import option "create new track(s)". In which case, it always names the track according to the the file name.Even if it's imported into the regions list, dragging it down will make a new track that is named according to the file name.

It only does the default "Audio 1" etc if you create a new track from scratch.

I assume he is importing the regions and selecting the import option "create new track(s)". In which case, it always names the track according to the the file name.Even if it's imported into the regions list, dragging it down will make a new track that is named according to the file name.

I guess I'm not getting the confusion between File name and Track name. The file I'm opening is 001.wav. It contains 8 tracks. Each track was named in the Deva with the name of the actor. I'll be back in the office on Monday to retry with ProTools in front of me. I may be the one not using the right nomenclature.

Jeff

I guess I'm not getting the confusion between File name and Track name. The file I'm opening is 001.wav. It contains 8 tracks. Each track was named in the Deva with the name of the actor. I'll be back in the office on Monday to retry with ProTools in front of me. I may be the one not using the right nomenclature.

Jeff

Ahhh, polywavs, gotcha now.

I usually split those with a 3rd party program beforehand. I've definitely heard of others with the same problem regarding track names when importing them into pro tools.

If you create the tracks first in pro tools, it won't name the tracks the filenames of the audio files from your recorder. If you just drag a BWF.P into the edit window that has no tracks, it will create the tracks for you (I've done this with 4 track BWF.P files), and I think it will name the tracks the file names. I prefer to create new tracks on my own, and name them what I want to name them, because depending on the production mixer, the dialogue on track 2 of the BWF.P may change from one person to another over the course of a day, and I just want the name the track in Pro Tools what mic it is, not the character. Most dialogue editors (at least the way I learned, the way I worked, and the folks I worked with) don't have each character on their own track. It makes it a pain in the rear for the re-recording mixer. So, I guess, for me, I really don't care what you named your tracks on production, as long as your sound report is accurate.

This was a run and gun reality show. The only sound report was generated by Wave Agent after the fact. But the track count would change based on the number of characters on the set at that moment. Sometimes it was 5, sometimes 9, sometimes 2. So "Sally" who is recorded on track E sometimes shows up as the third track in the list after the mix. Sometimes she's number 4. So having the tracks show as the same names as entered on location would be a great help.

If you just drag a BWF.P into the edit window that has no tracks, it will create the tracks for you (I've done this with 4 track BWF.P files), and I think it will name the tracks the file names.

Dave, That is the rub. I did the drag and drop but it still named the tracks "Audio1, Audio2,etc"

When i need to see what there is in some regions of an audio file, i simply go to view-region-channel name.

anyway, i think it is useless to have a daw that authomatically rename his tracks as the recorded track names. because, in an editing project, what is on track one in the first scene is not always what is on track one in an other scene, and so i don't think pro tools or what it is could change the track names according with the timeline and the scene is running on at the moment...

When i need to see what there is in some regions of an audio file, i simply go to view-region-channel name.

anyway, i think it is useless to have a daw that authomatically rename his tracks as the recorded track names. because, in an editing project, what is on track one in the first scene is not always what is on track one in an other scene, and so i don't think pro tools or what it is could change the track names according with the timeline and the scene is running on at the moment...

I think it would be extremely useful. Your point about the track names changing from scene to scene is exactly why I'd want for this to happen. Since I typically only work on one scene at a time anyway, having the track names reflect what is entered on location would save a bunch of time.

I think it would be extremely useful. Your point about the track names changing from scene to scene is exactly why I'd want for this to happen. Since I typically only work on one scene at a time anyway, having the track names reflect what is entered on location would save a bunch of time.

I'm sure you aren't the only one who would like this--you should suggest it to Avid as a future feature for PT. A good place to build groundswell for new features for PT is on the DUC--you can see how many other folks chime in. (Apologies if you've already done this!)

phil p

I tried to register at the DUC and it wouldn't let me, telling me that I was disallowed because I was a spammer (few things could be further from the truth). Maybe it's because I have an unusually short email address, I don't know. So, I then emailed the site admin and have never heard back.

SoapBox Mode ON:

They're about as responsive as Avid is about improving the abysmal file management in Pro Tools. That should be Avid's first priority and (IMO) they should be ashamed to show their collective face in public before they improve this element of the program.

For those who don't know Pro Tools, their file management is almost non-existent. Everything is thrown into one giant "Regions List." That's right, there are no additional bins, or bins within bins that almost any other worthwhile program on the planet allows. Then, to top that off, every time you make a cut, that region is divided into two more regions -- and, you guessed it, all just thrown into the same giant "Regions List." Shameful for a program that calls itself, "the world’s ... most advanced music and audio production platform".

Okay... SoapBox Mode OFF.

I was able to see the track names in the regions list. Then it was quick few keystrokes to rename the tracks. Unfortunately I updated my computer to OS 10.6.8 and now Pro Tools 9 isn't working. My fault for not checking compatibility before updating my mac os. I'll restore the old update from my backup and get back to it soon enough. Thanks for everyone's help.

I was able to see the track names in the regions list. Then it was quick few keystrokes to rename the tracks. Unfortunately I updated my computer to OS 10.6.8 and now Pro Tools 9 isn't working. My fault for not checking compatibility before updating my mac os. I'll restore the old update from my backup and get back to it soon enough. Thanks for everyone's help.

Jeff,

I've been running 10.6.8 and PT 9.0.3 for several days now and it seems to be working fine. Before it was 10.6.7 and 9.0.2 and that was really solid. The only crashes I can recall having (10.6.7 & 9.0.2, IIRC) were caused when I tried out a particular plug-in. As a result, its existence on my machine was terminated and all has been fine again.

Jeff,

I've been running 10.6.8 and PT 9.0.3 for several days now and it seems to be working fine. Before it was 10.6.7 and 9.0.2 and that was really solid. The only crashes I can recall having (10.6.7 & 9.0.2, IIRC) were caused when I tried out a particular plug-in. As a result, its existence on my machine was terminated and all has been fine again.

John, Thanks for the call.

It turns out the playback engine was not compatible with the USB speakers I have plugged into my system. Thanks for your help.

Jeff