iWeb and mac.com hosting to be shut off June 2012

Just a heads up.....

It seems like quite a few of us host personal/resume sites on mac.com accounts, so you should all know they will be shut down in June 2012.

With iCould becoming a free service in the Fall, they are phasing out MobileMe/iTools/whatever. iWeb won't be updated again, and the one click updating will be gone.

In theory the current iWeb should keep running under 10.7, but you would need host it elsewhere. Kind of a bummer!

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet. I have done hand coded HTML sites, PHP etc but iWeb is so easy to make a clean site that's easy to update. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, but the traffic it does get is often people that might hire me.

I tried out mac.com for about a year and decided the price was way too high. There are many cheaper hosting sites out there and you can easily migrate your content and usually the new site will redirect anyone who types in the old address.

iTools, Dot Mac, MobileMe have never been good deals for web hosting, only if considered within the whole package of services that MobileMe offers. One of the services, that of hosting a website, is going to go away as pointed out. The larger issue for many is that they may have built their website using iWeb software. iWeb software will not have continued development or support and utilizes many proprietary functions/features which do not easily translate to other web building software. One of the biggest problems with iWeb (and basically most all of the other web building applications that reside on your computer) is that you cannot update your website unless you're in front of your computer and your software is up to date and running properly. Lately, I have been switching everything over to applications and/or services that I can build, modify and update from any commuter with an internet connection and a browser. This has been the beauty of software like Wordpress. Anyone interested in the various web building services (hosted) or software (that you install on your own host account) that I have found over the last couple of years, feel free to ask.

iTools, Dot Mac, MobileMe have never been good deals for web hosting, only if considered within the whole package of services that MobileMe offers. One of the services, that of hosting a website, is going to go away as pointed out. The larger issue for many is that they may have built their website using iWeb software. iWeb software will not have continued development or support and utilizes many proprietary functions/features which do not easily translate to other web building software. One of the biggest problems with iWeb (and basically most all of the other web building applications that reside on your computer) is that you cannot update your website unless you're in front of your computer and your software is up to date and running properly. Lately, I have been switching everything over to applications and/or services that I can build, modify and update from any commuter with an internet connection and a browser. This has been the beauty of software like Wordpress. Anyone interested in the various web building services (hosted) or software (that you install on your own host account) that I have found over the last couple of years, feel free to ask.

You guys don't think that Apple will make some sort of new website app for home users/consumers, then host the site in their cloud? It seems like an easy way to make money for them. I understand the limitations of iWeb etc, but for a dope like me it's been great and painless, one of my fave Apple Things. I have really no interest in getting deeper into making websites than that, but I do need a website (or think I do).

phil p

You guys don't think that Apple will make some sort of new website app for home users/consumers, then host the site in their cloud? It seems like an easy way to make money for them.

phil p

I think that Apple is going to be "hosting" so much material with iCloud, everybody's entire music library, photo library, etc., that they will not want to host websites. They very well could continue to provide iWeb or some version of iWeb so people could make websites the easy Apple way and then host them on any one of the ultra low cost server accounts you can get. It may be that Apple feels that there are way too many options for people these days to build websites almost as easily (and sometimes as nice looking) as that which can be done with iWeb. I think you can sign up for a GoDaddy account, they give you access to a fairly decent website builder (which you do not have to download and have installed on your computer) and you can have a website up and running in about 20 minutes. Cost can be as low as about $3.95/month.

I wil miss iWeb because I was able to do some really good looking functional sites with it in the past but it looks like we will all be moving on.

As far as a Mac friendly WYSIWYG editor, iWeb seems pretty good.... though I have not really tried any since the 90's. The bundling with iLife meant I effectively got it free with the other stuff I knew I wanted. While far from the best financial deal, it was easy. When you factor in your time as having a value, then I found it to be a good deal.

I will say I never heard of a real security issue with iWeb or .mac hosting. Wordpress has had its share of security holes. I've have a few phpNuke sites hacked and taken over, or sites with some sort of photo gallery taken over because I didn't keep up with the frequent security patches. The patches often require a lot of hand modifying code if you customize the site.

My sites being taken over resulted in everything from a new page up declaring that it had been hacked by something in a foreign language, to sending out spam email. I find the hack quick, but it's not always so fast to patch. Murphy's Law dictates that kind of problem will happen when you are working away from home and very very busy.

I would love to know how many people with mac.com/mobileMe actively used the hosting. I am guessing not too many, otherwise Apple would probably offer something as part of iCloud. I also have not heard much uproar about it going away, unless people didn't realize what's happening. We do have almost a year before it shuts down, so I am sure a few solutions will pop up.