Sound Devices Pix 240

Dean Gudmundson

Gentlemen,

I've been entertaining the thought of getting a SD PIX 240: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pix.htm.

to use, as a back up recorder to my SD 744T (amongst other uses). Any thoughts as why it couldn't quickly swap out a 744T?

Looks like another home run from Sound Devices. One feature I would've like to see is the ability to handle composite video.

Sound Devices must have their reasons for omitting standard definition.

Looking forward to hearing how it performs on location.

All the best,

Dean Gudmundson

Sound Mixer and QTake Owner/Operator South Florida

Gentlemen,

I've been entertaining the thought of getting a SD PIX 240: http://www.sounddevi...oducts/pix.htm.

to use, as a back up recorder to my SD 744T (amongst other uses). Any thoughts as why it couldn't quickly swap out a 744T?

Looks like another home run from Sound Devices. One feature I would've like to see is the ability to handle composite video.

All the best,

Dean Gudmundson

We are receiving a lot of inquiries and pre-orders for both the PIX240 and the PIX220. It is truly going to be a game changer for the video market. However, you cannot use the PIX240 as an audio-only recorder. The Pix requires video sync to be present in order to record.

Gentlemen,

I've been entertaining the thought of getting a SD PIX 240: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pix.htm.

All the best,

Dean Gudmundson

Nice to see you here big guy.

Eric

We are receiving a lot of inquiries and pre-orders for both the PIX240 and the PIX220. It is truly going to be a game changer for the video market. However, you cannot use the PIX240 as an audio-only recorder. The Pix requires video sync to be present in order to record.

So if you had a blackburst or sync generator, you could use it, but would waste space on the HDD by writing a lot of black video frames?

Having pix240 would be nice if you can educate people about it and charge for rental.

If people are shooting with a HDI out camera the pix240 is a the greatest solution.

The problem I see is camera people should operate it since it will be used to capture HDI.

Another problem is if the unit gains a lot of exposure and popularity, it will be another reason not to hire a sound man.

Gentlemen,

I've been entertaining the thought of getting a SD PIX 240: http://www.sounddevi...oducts/pix.htm.

All the best,

Dean Gudmundson

Having pix240 would be nice if you can educate people about it and charge for rental.

If people are shooting with a HDI out camera the pix240 is a the greatest solution.

The problem I see is camera people should operate it since it will be used to capture HDI.

Another problem is if the unit gains a lot of exposure and popularity, it will be another reason not to hire a sound man.

Not true. You'll still need an experienced professional to get a clean useable signal into the device.

Eric

• 3 months later...

It's to be used as a *back-up* recorder.

So back to OP, would these black frames take a lot of space on recording media?

What kind of encoder would do the job for audio outs to sdi 8 tracks ?

This box would be great for use as video monitor and backup recording at the same time..?

The Pix240 isn't designed as a sound recorder. It's designed as a way to make low-res Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD files so that the editor can immediately go to work editing without having to wait to transcode the actual raw camera files. I think it's a mistake to count on using it as a 2-track sound recorder. Recording video black takes up the same amount of space as moving pictures (more or less, depending on the compression). I suspect the files will be very, very large compared to sound-only files.

Having said that, Sound Devices does make many very fine audio recorders (none of which can record video).

--Marc W.

Mark, I was just following Dean's idea about using it as a backup recorder, noticed it was able to make so with 8 tracks and maybe provide a video signal AND screen on top of that, all at a reasonable price compared to buying an additionnal "traditional" recorder plus video mon. If it does it with the same quality and Up to 8 tracks, well, I think the idea is worth a try.

I wouldn't use it as a main recorder for obvious reasons, but for backups that'd seem right as long as it's solid and reliable.

• 1 year later...

Hi , 

Would it be possible to use Cantar X2 digital out 8 ch, trough converter AJA H10AM, and going out with SDI 8 ch to SD PIX 240 ?  

If this would be working, editor can have 8 track of production sound already sync ? 

Any experience ... 

Thank you guys

Noni