Let's all swicth to rechargeable batteries!! (And hug a tree)

RPSharman

Rechargeable batteries can be recycled.  Alkaline batteries are merely disposed of properly when turned in, or just dumped out back, creating a more hazardous situation than throwing them out one at a time as used.

Rechargeable Lithium Polymer 9v have been proven reliable enough for our use.  You can always swap them out more often, or before a big scene.  AA/AAA rechargeables have better life than alkaline in all usage applications, but must be topped off before use.  If they sit, even for a few days, they die.  You can use Lithium AA in your SM when you don't want to go near the actor for a while.  They can also be recycled when dead, but can only be used once, obviously, and are expensive.

I generally charge production just a little less for battery expendables than they are accustomed to, so they are happy.  But rechargeables save me a ton of money, and I feel good about using them.  And that makes me happy.

When I began working at Current TV, I had production get ProCell 9V and AA. After less than a year, I had (And still do have) a cardboard box 18" on all sides FULL of batteries! The thing weighs almost 100 pounds! After that I switched to Accupower NiMH AA batteries. They have 2900MaH AA rechargeables that give me almost 3 hours per charge on the SM transmitters. I have been through only a dozen of them in the past year, and they all work fine! When they stop working, or don't hold a charge, I'll just drop them off at LSC. Easy enough for me! Considering I work for Al Gore, I guess it's expected of me, but I really don't mind.

Tom