Another cart from your host

Jeff Wexler

Well, I have built another cart. Seems to be all I do these days... none of these great carts spend any time out on a set working!

This one based on a lightweight "mini" mobile cart that I believe Kevin Sorensen built. I used the same lightweight Harper Nylon handtruck as the basis and then also used the same plastic pegboard tile from Home Depot to fabricate the shelves. I wish I had had this cart on "We Bought A Zoo" because of all the rough terrain and moving around that took its toll on the main cart (and killed the follow cart as well). I think it turned out really good, it is very mobile, light and will hold just about the right amount of equipment for its intended purpose. Total cost about $120. (not counting my labor of course).

post-1-0-96416600-1309809236.jpg

Great idea. Are the shelf heights adjustable? Can it fold sort of flat for flight?

Seems to be just the right solution for many situations.

Good work!

Eric

The shelves might be adjustable on the one that Kevin Sorensen built but not this one. The shelf support system and brackets are from a line of adjustable shelving called FastTrack but to get the stability and rigidity that I needed the adjustability factor has been reduced to zero. They can be dismounted and repositioned but not easily and not "in the field". Also, it does not collapse or fold up in any manner but it is quite slim and can be easily stowed almost anywhere in a vehicle. It would not be useful for travel like the beautiful RastOrder Fold-Up cart, but then it was not designed to have that capability. If I did a lot of jobs with airline travel and the need for a lightweight foldable cart, the RastOrder cart is what I would get.

I was contemplating on building a new "bag-cart" for of the road duty, and yours looks just like what I have in mind, but better haha.. I'm not the handy type... In the meanwhile I

That's a really cool shot, DjGo, and a cool cart. I built mine and I'm sure Kevin did his for just these sorts of locations where you are very close to having to hand carry everything but really need some kind of cart to work from (otherwise, IT'S THE BAG!).

nice pipe DjGo ! what brand of tobacco do you use ? :0)

Seriously, yu're starting to make me think about something like this guys... very practical even just for being able to park the boom.

Nice models and ideas indeed!

actually, it's an Austrian horn called Alpenhorn!

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally finished the new Follow Cart. Still a few accessories to add, fishpole holder, tie-off points, etc., but basically finished. I have tried to keep it as light as possible, everything is aluminum, but it is still heavier than I would have wanted. Very road worthy and easy to push around but it will be rather heavy to be lifting it up anywhere. It is still lighter than lots of people's main carts. The 2 side-by-side 3RU drawers will be used for Zaxcom wireless on the left and Comtek/monitor stuff on the right. Then the other 2 3RU drawers will be for sound abatement stuff, shockmounts, mic mounts, velcro, etc., with 1 4RU drawer at the bottom for the bigger stuff. Open area to the right of the drawers can be used for anything.

post-1-0-14158000-1310848805.jpg

post-1-0-42882200-1310848838.jpg

Looks great, Jeff. I particularly like the jockey box area.

What's the weight differential for the aluminum vs. the steel drawers? And will Rackman be adding the aluminum drawers to their line? I'd particularly like 2 space drawers.

Best regards,

Jim

Rackman will be making 2RU, 3RU and 4RU aluminum drawers --- they have already built quite a few for all the new customers I promised them when I was prodding them to make an aluminum drawer. They will also be making an aluminum sliding shelf for mixers, etc., and I have already talked to them about thinking about a latch system so the shelf can lock in several positions. As for the weight, the aluminum drawers, a 3RU, is a little under 6 lbs., and a Mid-Atlantic style steel drawer is around 17lbs.

Rackman will be making 2RU, 3RU and 4RU aluminum drawers --- they have already built quite a few for all the new customers I promised them when I was prodding them to make an aluminum drawer. They will also be making an aluminum sliding shelf for mixers, etc., and I have already talked to them about thinking about a latch system so the shelf can lock in several positions. As for the weight, the aluminum drawers, a 3RU, is a little under 6 lbs., and a Mid-Atlantic style steel drawer is around 17lbs.

Thanks, Jeff. Looks like I'll save around 22 lbs. + on the main cart and about the same on the simple rig.

Well worth the cost. Thanks for making it happen as well.

JG

I was contemplating on building a new "bag-cart" for of the road duty, and yours looks just like what I have in mind, but better haha.. I'm not the handy type... In the meanwhile I use this:

271026_228751773820695_100000576222707_892060_8268235_n.jpg

Probably batteries on that bottom shelf, but looks like a beer cooler could fit down there quite well!

Cheers,

Rich

Wanted to get something super small / lightweight for my boom op and loving the big pneumatic tires for potential beach work. It's a combo garden hose / multi-pair reel, boom holder, wireless receiver station, cable caddy. I went to the local bike shop and they had these cool little red handle bar mount cup holders. I'd like to attach some sort of superstructure to the top so there is a work surface for preparing wires, drawers for some minimal storage, and a proper boom holder slot, without bulking the unit up too much. Basically just a talent wiring station, maybe a video monitor too... sigh... some day.

I know, a little silly, but when I saw this on the web, the possibilities just made it seem like a perfect fit for my little application.

web.jpg?ver=13109025780001

web.jpg?ver=13109025690001

Nice one Tom ! One could use an air hose reel too, which is norrower, for the cable (used in garages for compressor hoses).

I like it !

Right now I have Mogami 8 channel multi-pair rigged to the Canare style JAE connectors. I'm thinking about switching it out for a longer 12 channel Mogami AES / analog snake. I figure 100' would be more than sufficient (sometimes do music remotes too). I also want to figure out how to partition the reel so that I could pull an equal length of coax for SDI feed too, if needed, so once I go with the fatter / longer cable and throw the SDI on there too, it should fill up that reel a little better. Right now I think the 8 pair is only around 50' with 12' fanouts, so looks a little bare right now!

Jeff, do you have a problem going over the electrician "speed bumps" on set because of the jockey box? I worked with a utility cart like this recently, and it was a B_TCH to push over those bumps!

~Thomas Popp

Good point. When I added the lower section I did think about ground clearance when going over rough terrain where there are humps and stuff, but you know I never even thought about the cable run raceway "speed bumps" as you call them. They very well could be a problem. I will measure the actual ground clearance at the lowest point and see if I can get an idea of how much of a problem it might be. The good thing is that the whole assembly is held by 4 removable bolts that are easily accessible (another benefit of no welding) so if it does turn out to be a problem I will just lose the jockey box altogether.

I know, a little silly, but when I saw this on the web, the possibilities just made it seem like a perfect fit for my little application.

I really love finding "off the shelf" items that we can use for a completely different purpose than originally intended, often with only slight modification or additional building. I walk up and down the isles of Home Depot, West Marine, Sears, The Organizer Store and so forth, just looking for things that might be useful for our work. It is very funny when the few times that a salesperson comes up and asks "May I help you find something?" I have to tell them I don't even know what I'm looking for but I do know that it will be used in a manner that was never intended.

Jeff,

In a couple weeks I have job coming up where I could use a cart such as the one at the top of this thread. I looked at the FastTrack material at Home Depot and looking at your picture I see you have pinned the shelf bracket. Could you tell me exactly how you pinned it for stability? There did not seem to be much to pin to at the connecting end of the bracket.

Thanks,

Bob