Another cart from your host

Jeff Wexler

Rackman will be making 2RU, 3RU and 4RU aluminum drawers --- they have already built quite a few for all the new customers I promised them when I was prodding them to make an aluminum drawer. They will also be making an aluminum sliding shelf for mixers, etc., and I have already talked to them about thinking about a latch system so the shelf can lock in several positions. As for the weight, the aluminum drawers, a 3RU, is a little under 6 lbs., and a Mid-Atlantic style steel drawer is around 17lbs.

Jeff,

Any idea of the total weight of your cart and drawers at this stage?

...looking at your picture I see you have pinned the shelf bracket. Could you tell me exactly how you pinned it for stability? There did not seem to be much to pin to at the connecting end of the bracket.

Thanks,

Bob

This is actually quite difficult to explain. Maybe I can take a close detail picture (worth a thousand words, right?) how I pinned or locked the brackets. Basically I drilled 2 holes horizontally across the U-shaped track and this hole goes through the upper and lower "tabs" of the shelf bracket while it is fitted into the track slots. Then a bolt is placed through with a nut on the other end. This sort of works but has not really locked the bracket as firmly as I would like. I have to say, if I had it to do over again I would NOT use the FastTrack track or even the shelf brackets. I would find a way to attach the shelves directly to the nylon cart (since I added aluminum channel anyway to the nylon struts to support the track). I would use the plastic pegboard tiles again even though I had to cut them all up and mount them in aluminum framing I had to fabricate.

This is actually quite difficult to explain. Maybe I can take a close detail picture (worth a thousand words, right?) how I pinned or locked the brackets. Basically I drilled 2 holes horizontally across the U-shaped track and this hole goes through the upper and lower "tabs" of the shelf bracket while it is fitted into the track slots. Then a bolt is placed through with a nut on the other end. This sort of works but has not really locked the bracket as firmly as I would like. I have to say, if I had it to do over again I would NOT use the FastTrack track or even the shelf brackets. I would find a way to attach the shelves directly to the nylon cart (since I added aluminum channel anyway to the nylon struts to support the track). I would use the plastic pegboard tiles again even though I had to cut them all up and mount them in aluminum framing I had to fabricate.

Thanks Jeff for the explanation and the caution on the FastTrack.

A couple years ago I was using an older cart built on a heavy steel hand truck that is actually just a small plywood box with shelves that attaches to the truck frame with hose clamps. It was not as ugly as it sounds but was heavy and only held an SD442 and an HD-P2 with extra space for a few small things. I need something that will serve as a bag cart plus carry more equipment.

Thanks again

Bob

I love what a tinkerer you are. These carts are very nice! I bet it was fun to make em. I also have a smaller "bag-on-the-cart" cart (my first PSC cart actually) for smaller gigs.

I find it surprising that after all the sound carts you've made you're still going with the small caster front wheels. Don't those trip you up sometimes? After so many terrible sidewalks and streets I went big and put a pair of 16" wheelbarrow wheels in back and some 10" tubeless smart wheels in the front and I'm so glad I did. However this cart (which is named "Beefcake") is much too heavy to go over more than a single step though...

Dan Izen

Here is the complete lineup of the carts: Main Cart, Mini-Mobile Cart and the new Follow Cart. I think they look pretty good. They would look a whole lot better on the job instead of in the alley behind my house. In time, in time... I'm ready.

post-1-0-49349800-1311090073.jpg

I am envious of your follow cart.

I love mine, but yours has the WOW factor for sure. Really nice work.

Here is the complete lineup of the carts: Main Cart, Mini-Mobile Cart and the new Follow Cart. I think they look pretty good. They would look a whole lot better on the job instead of in the alley behind my house. In time, in time... I'm ready.

Nice but needs color to make it pop. Powder coating in Fire engine Red, School Bus Yellow, Money Green, Electric Blue, etc?

Eric

Very nice line up of carts Jeff. I hope you get to use them soon. I'm looking to build a small cart with the hopes that it will attract larger jobs. My sound jobs, so far, are still out of a bag.

Nice but needs color to make it pop. Powder coating in Fire engine Red, School Bus Yellow, Money Green, Electric Blue, etc?

Eric

I know those are YOUR colors, Eric, but you know me, my color scheme throughout my life has been basically black and white, occasionally venturing out with a shade of gray here and there.

I know those are YOUR colors, Eric, but you know me, my color scheme throughout my life has been basically black and white, occasionally venturing out with a shade of gray here and there.

Bah! Comeon you're an Aries break out of the past. Get your carts pimped out. Might even get you a new gig.

Eric

Hey Jeff- Your follow cart pics have inspired me to try building my own as well. Was wondering if you could tell me where you lined up the aluminum tubing for the build. I've found some large distributers on line, but I'm guessing I couldn't get a small order from them. Also, looks like this is a no weld build. Is that correct? Do you mind giving any hints on the most effective way to connect the joints? Seriously nice work!

Hey Jeff- Your follow cart pics have inspired me to try building my own as well. Was wondering if you could tell me where you lined up the aluminum tubing for the build. I've found some large distributers on line, but I'm guessing I couldn't get a small order from them. Also, looks like this is a no weld build. Is that correct? Do you mind giving any hints on the most effective way to connect the joints? Seriously nice work!

Yes, it is a no-weld construction which is a good thing and a bad thing. The good is that I could do all the work myself, the bad is that it probably is not as rugged or as rigid as it would be if I had it welded. After completing the basic frame I did add to cross-braces (gussets) that made it a lot more rigid and stable. The material I used is again from 80/20 from what they call their HT Series. It is 1.5" x 1.5" tubing which turns out to be a little larger than what was really needed. It comes either with holes pre-drilled for ease of construction or without holes (so I had to drill it all myself). The pieces are joined with "Inserts" that are pre-drilled and tapped. Raw aluminum that I needed for various other bits on the cart was purchased from Industrial Metal Supply in Sun Valley (San Fernando Road). The advantage to the 80/20 over raw aluminum is that 80/20 will make the major cut to length pieces you need and they are anodized. Being anodized, of course, made the prospect of having to weld the cart after all, not such a good idea (would require that I re-anodize or powder coat the whole thing). Fortunately, this did not happen, so I had a cart that was already anodized when it was finished.

post-1-0-35290600-1311540707.jpg

post-1-0-54786600-1311540727.jpg

Yes, it is a no-weld construction which is a good thing and a bad thing. The good is that I could do all the work myself, the bad is that it probably is not as rugged or as rigid as it would be if I had it welded. After completing the basic frame I did add to cross-braces (gussets) that made it a lot more rigid and stable. The material I used is again from 80/20 from what they call their HT Series. It is 1.5" x 1.5" tubing which turns out to be a little larger than what was really needed. It comes either with holes pre-drilled for ease of construction or without holes (so I had to drill it all myself). The pieces are joined with "Inserts" that are pre-drilled and tapped. Raw aluminum that I needed for various other bits on the cart was purchased from Industrial Metal Supply in Sun Valley (San Fernando Road). The advantage to the 80/20 over raw aluminum is that 80/20 will make the major cut to length pieces you need and they are anodized. Being anodized, of course, made the prospect of having to weld the cart after all, not such a good idea (would require that I re-anodize or powder coat the whole thing). Fortunately, this did not happen, so I had a cart that was already anodized when it was finished.

post-1-0-35290600-1311540707.jpg

post-1-0-54786600-1311540727.jpg

I'm a big fan of powdercoating now--not expensive and can make even a crappy cart look really good. My present mixer cart was REALLY a mess after decades of abuse, neglect, bad paint jobs, worse stripping jobs--the powder coating made it look badass, if I do say so myself. My only regret is that I went for stealthy flat black instead of deep blue or metallic green. There were midget race car frames coming out of the oven in those colors when I picked my cart up, and I had instant buyer's remorse.....

phil p