Upcoming shoot in japan

rich

I have a shoot coming up next week heading to Japan and was looking for some advice and first hand experience of radio mics over there.

Looking on here, I've found that the frequencies set aside are 790-810mhz which only my IEM covers - my radios are 608-638 and 660-690mhz.

Whilst o am sure I can get 2 talent mics, a camera hop and an ifb running, I am more interested in how policed things are particularly as I will be filling out a carnet.

I remember reading the article in the coffeysound magazine about Steve Nelson mixing Batman, but as that was a major feature there were a lot more permits an officials to go through, but a we will be heading as close to the Fukashima power plant as we will be allowed to get, I imagine there will be a fair bit of paperwork anyway.

So basically, if anyone has any experience bringing radio mics to japan that aren't on the frequencies allocated to us, how you got on.

Or if I should give up trying to use my radios and hire in ( at productions cost)

Not sure where we will be filming at this point in terms of cities.

Thanks

Rich

I went there last year and had no trouble taking my Block 21 Lectros in and out, they weren't checked at all. I did have trouble finding free frequencies a couple of times, but both times were in Central Tokyo, so no surprises there really, but I found some gaps quickly enough, everywhere else (Osaka, Hokkaido and some places I don't recall) I had no trouble whatsoever.

One thing to remember, the customs on the way out were the keenest I've found to check out LIon batteries, to the extent of getting the multimeter out to check voltages!

You may want to contact our distributor over there, General Traders in Tokyo. They can advise the possibility of renting radios in legal frequency bands. There is also a 10 mW limit for transmissions. The good news is that Block 779 (the Lectrosonics band specifically for Japan) is clear of anything else. Yes - there is only about 20 MHz of legal spectrum, but we were able to get 40 channels operating simultaneously during a test in 2009.

http://www.gentrade.co.jp/

You may want to contact our distributor over there, General Traders in Tokyo. They can advise the possibility of renting radios in legal frequency bands. There is also a 10 mW limit for transmissions. The good news is that Block 779 (the Lectrosonics band specifically for Japan) is clear of anything else. Yes - there is only about 20 MHz of legal spectrum, but we were able to get 40 channels operating simultaneously during a test in 2009.

Thank you Karl.

will get in contact with them

Travelled there last year, Tokyo all the way down to Kagoshima and had no problems with frequencies.

Travelled with a carnet, and I recall 3 items were randomly checked for serial numbers, which is about twice as thorough as most other countries I've been to. But no one ever checked frequencies. Pretty good check over the gear on the way out, as well.

Only problem I did have was getting cash from ATMs! A lot of Japanese bank machines just don't work with foreign cards, but all 7-11's have international bank machines. If you run low on cash, look for a 7-11. They're everywhere.

Doi tashe maste!

Rich

Theres another article from The Coffey Files about a shot for the movie Inception shot on the rooftops of japan and some specifics about bringing Wireless systems through customs and using them in japan. Pretty interesting read. Starts at about page 22 found here http://soundandpictureonline.com/wp-content/issues/Coffey_Files/Summer2010/index.html

Hope that helps you out

so far, UK38-40 (606-638) looking very clear, both in Tokyo and near Fukushima.

block 26 looking quite clear in Tokyo, but not scanned since but no problems near Fukushima.

and not getting within the 20Km exclusion zone.

• 5 months later...

The Carnet and the "intrest " is from all my experience related to country of origin, value... whats coming in and whats going back out... I have never seen the officials there concerned with the frequency of ANY of the gear.... Now this was a few years ago, but I doubt it has changed...

As for what will WORK there, better you check, looks like Mr. Mega has provided some reference material...

As always, bring a bunch if you can, and see whats availible once your there... even after all your research.. These days, you have to pick and choose once on site... so many variables... doing your homework like your doing cant hurt...

This link has a trojan!!!!!!!!!!

Theres another article from The Coffey Files about a shot for the movie Inception shot on the rooftops of japan and some specifics about bringing Wireless systems through customs and using them in japan. Pretty interesting read. Starts at about page 22 found here http://soundandpictu...2010/index.html

Hope that helps you out

"using Ch69 (854-861) frequencies in Japan. "

aside from import/export issues, there are the legality issues (using wireless mic's in Japan has some strict regulations, including, for example a 10mw power maximum. Experienced "local fixers" in Japan are able to work wonders, and your production should certainly have them for many more reasons than radio mic issues.

• 1 month later...

I am having trouble tracking down this company "General Traders" in Tokyo. Do you have any other distributors whom can help in hiring wireless equipment in legal frequencies in Tokyo?

I am having trouble tracking down this company "General Traders" in Tokyo. Do you have any other distributors whom can help in hiring wireless equipment in legal frequencies in Tokyo?

I believe that General Traders has folded. Some of their staff moved on to start a new company, you could contact them, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Tech Trust Japan Co., Ltd..

Glass City Moto-yoyogi

30-13 Moto-yoyogi-cho, Shibuya-ku

Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0062

Japan

Tel: +81 (0) 3-5456-5730

Fax: +81 (0) 3-6369-4465

www.tech-trust.co.jp

I believe that General Traders has folded. Some of their staff moved on to start a new company, you could contact them, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Tech Trust Japan Co., Ltd..

Glass City Moto-yoyogi

30-13 Moto-yoyogi-cho, Shibuya-ku

Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0062

Japan

Tel: +81 (0) 3-5456-5730

Fax: +81 (0) 3-6369-4465

www.tech-trust.co.jp

Thanks Matt - this is correct. Tech Trust Japan is our distributor now - it is made up primarily of former employees of General Traders.